• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

long guns

wackjob

imported post

Also, what is the law about an 18 year old oc ing a pistol. I know that they cannot buy one, but once they had it does the law say anything?

Legba

imported post

An 18 y/o cannot buy a handgun from an FFL/dealer - they are not prohibited from owning one by other means (receiving one as a gift or by inheritance, say).

-ljp

wackjob

imported post

But are they prohibited from carying one withouth the supervision of someone over 21? I know most shooting ranges require a 21 year old present. Would you get whoever gave you the gun in trouble?

Legba

imported post

There may be state-level limits on this, but not in Ohio. That said, the police may not all be aware of this...

-ljp

JSK333

imported post

It depends on how you interpret how the clauses connect in the following:

2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

"Including but not limited to." However, does the last phrase "under the supervision or control of a responsible adult" only apply to markmanship, or to any of those preceding "including but not limited to" activities? If it applies to everything, then you'd need an adult with you when carrying. Otherwise, it could possibly fall under "educational purposes" for you to do on your own.

The other side is that a court could find this unconstitutional, by saying it's legal for a minor to learn how to use a handgun safely but not actually carry/use it to defend himself. Since bearing arms is a fundamental right, laws that restrict it have to pass the strict scrutiny test and not be arbitrary at the gov't's whim.

Legba

imported post

I hadn't read the fine print of this statute - the title specifies "minor" so who knows... it still seems ambiguous. Maybe you should wait till you're 21 unless you have an "adult" with you at all times.

-ljp

wackjob

imported post

I just bought a new M&P 15, and I was wondering as I shot it: Is smoke supposed to come out of the barrel shroud and is it supposed to smell kinda funny when shot?

Any advice?

Legba

imported post

You might be cooking off leftover oil or cosmolene on the barrel. I doubt it's significant.

-ljp