• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vocational Schools?

muzz3256

imported post

So I am curious, what is the standing on carrying in a vocational school. There is a school here, the Charlottesville-Albemarle Techincial Education Center, It services both adult education, and local high school students. I would not think that this is covered by the K-12 school ban, however it does serve high school students and does give them public school credits. Any advice?

DeadCenter

imported post

Muzz -- I think it is covered by the code. It's a fuzzy area. If the school only catered to adults then I would think not. But, if a high school student has the option to go there (Albemarle Techincal Education Center)in place of the traditional high school, then I think it would be one in the same.

Tough question.

DC

muzz3256

imported post

I agree, it is a gray area, there is a option for high school students to go there during the school day, I did to get my computer repair certifications. High school students are there from 0800 till 1600, after that, there is an adult education program in the afternoon and evening.

DeadCenter

imported post

If one can go to this school during a normal school year and graduate with his/her high school class, then I would say it is covered under the code.

I would not do it. I just don't need the headache.

DC

NytoVa

imported post

I posted this on the "OC at TCC" thread. Believe it's a similar discussion.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/6441.html

What campus of TCC are you referring to. You could have a problemonthe Virginia Beach campus. There is at least one building on the VB campus that is shared by high school students & college students.

My son spends 1/2 his day at the ATC (Applied Technology Center) taking computer/engineering classes and the other 1/2 at a regular high school. While there is a mix of students throughout the day, my understanding it is predominately high schoolers during the day and college students during the evening.I have taken many computer classes in the building during the evening. There are also VB city school offices in the building.

I do not know how the law would apply in this dual use situation. But to be safe, I have never carried in the ATC building. I treat it as a high school building.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's a bit of a grey area, yes... In the TCC case, I think you'd be OK according to http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1
A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(Emphasis added).

IANAL, but I think as long as you're not in any areas "exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place" you should be legal...

NytoVa

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
>>>> IANAL, but I think as long as you're not in any areas "exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place" you should be legal... <<<<

I'm not sure that covers the TCC situation. The ATC building was specifically built as a dual use educational facility. Itwas a joint project between the city school district & TCC.

While it sits on the TCC campus, it is run as a high school during the daytime with about 400 students. Students wear visible id cards and visitorshave to sign in at the frontdesk. There are city school offices in the building. My son says there are some adult college classes during the daytime, but most are scheduled for the evening.

It may be a gray area for the evening but it sure sounds like a high school building during the daytime. You can't carry if you go to a local high school for an evening event. Not sure how this differs.

INAL and do not want to be in the need for their services. I don't carry while in that building, but have in other TCC buildings.