• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Omaha Mall Shooting

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dkd wrote:
dngreer wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315342,00.html

Report: At Least One Person Wounded in Omaha Mall Shooting
Wednesday, December 05, 2007

OMAHA, Neb.—Report: Man shot inside Omaha mall.

At least one person was shot Wednesday inside a busy Omaha mall, local authorities are reporting.

Police locked down the Westroads Mall while they searched for the gunman, who has been described as a young black man.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/05/mall.shooting/index.html

i wonder where the reports of a "young black man came from"
I hope to God that he didn't have a BMWAG hat on.....

I also wonder if it was some wackjob....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/6460.html

imperialism2024

imported post

So, a sniper with an automatic rifle, eh? I guess it must be a large mall, so that he could make those 300yd+ sniper shots.

While I could expect this in a place like New York, there was no one in that mall who was armed? No one?

Oddly enough, though, it seems like FoxNews has the best story on it so far, in terms of reporting facts and not creating conclusions from those: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315342,00.html

savery

imported post

ahjeez.jpg

nickerj1

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
So, a sniper with an automatic rifle, eh? I guess it must be a large mall, so that he could make those 300yd+ sniper shots.

While I could expect this in a place like New York, there was no one in that mall who was armed? No one?

Oddly enough, though, it seems like FoxNews has the best story on it so far, in terms of reporting facts and not creating conclusions from those: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315342,00.html

Even if I was in the mall, if I wasn't within 25 yards of the guy I am sprinting like a gazelle towards cover and eventually an exit.

Or bunkering down like the people in the Old Navy. Except I'd try to find a short hallway outside the locked room to stake out and even the odds.

There's no way in hell I'm trying to maneuver through cover in order to get close enough to a guy with an rifle (automatic? did they ever say) and probably a bullet proof vest and attempting to get into a shootout with my dinky .40 and two magazines.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
Even if I was in the mall, if I wasn't within 25 yards of the guy I am sprinting like a gazelle towards cover and eventually an exit.

Or bunkering down like the people in the Old Navy. Except I'd try to find a short hallway outside the locked room to stake out and even the odds.

There's no way in hell I'm trying to maneuver through cover in order to get close enough to a guy with an rifle (automatic? did they ever say) and probably a bullet proof vest and attempting to get into a shootout with my dinky .40 and two magazines.

+ 1

Feets don't fail me now......

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
nickerj1 wrote:

+ 1

Feets don't fail me now......
What is up with these morons? I'm with nickerj1. Unless you just lucked out with a good tactical position there is not much a handgun is going to do in that situation. Maybe Israel has the right idea with off duty military walking around slinging M-16s.

The basic problem I see is that our defenses, police procedures and mindset are historically based on the concept that 1) the BG wants to live and 2) that s/he will eventually surrender given the right circumstances. What we keep seeing in these mass shootings are suicidal nutcases who want to take someone with them. The only defense to someone like that is to kill them before they can hurt many people. We just aren't prepared on many levels for this type of thing.

My prayers are with the families.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Okay, so you're the typical "don't get involved" type and feel helpless with your hadgun, i.e., just an average, garden-varietyperson, armed or not makes no difference. But please don't extend your shortcomings to others similarly armed but with a very differentmindset.

For example:

1. Some people can do plenty with a "mere" handgun.

2. Some of these same peoplecouldn't care less if they die, either (so the shooter has no advantage there).

Consequently, such a person would be more of a threat tosaid shooter than one or even a bunch of cops...had such a person been there and was carrying, even if carrying illegally (as some do).

Still, it's up toevery individual to look after his/her own personal protection...those who refuse to do so -- to be armed -- may get to die for that choice whether they want to or not, since they are powerless to prevent it.

No sympathy for them here.

Butthe mall owners should be sued/jailed for not providing protection for customers, asshould all those school districts/Administrators/Principals not protecting students/teachers,and corporate executives/suits not protecting their employees (but not allowing said employees to be armed at work)...and so on.

But that doesn't happen, does it.

So we just wait for the next school, workplace or mall shooting. And the ones after that...

-- John D.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Okay, so you're the typical "don't get involved" type and feel helpless with your hadgun, i.e., just an average, garden-varietyperson, armed or not makes no difference. But please don't extend your shortcomings to others similarly armed but with a very differentmindset.

For example:

1. Some people can do plenty with a "mere" handgun.

2. Some of these same peoplecouldn't care less if they die, either (so the shooter has no advantage there).

Consequently, such a person would be more of a threat tosaid shooter than one or even a bunch of cops...had such a person been there and was carrying, even if carrying illegally (as some do).

Still, it's up toevery individual to look after his/her own personal protection...those who refuse to do so -- to be armed -- may get to die for that choice whether they want to or not, since they are powerless to prevent it.

No sympathy for them here.

Butthe mall owners should be sued/jailed for not providing protection for customers, asshould all those school districts/Administrators/Principals not protecting students/teachers,and corporate executives/suits not protecting their employees (but not allowing said employees to be armed at work)...and so on.

But that doesn't happen, does it.

So we just wait for the next school, workplace or mall shooting. And the ones after that...

-- John D.
The mall owners should be sued?! Holy crap. :shock:

School's possibly K-12 should be held liable, as they are requiring students to be there, at least until a certain age.

Nobody makes you go to the mall. Therefore, provide your own security, and if firearms are banned, either ignore the sign (which I don't neccesarily advocate)or choose elsewhere to shop.

Most of the crimes that do happen in the mall are petty, and it is all about the allmight dollar, the person who gives them the lowest bid gets the contract. You get what you payfor. They are looking for the security to be a deterrent for shoplifters, knowing full and well that if an armed threat presents itself, most security gaurds will be the first ones out the door.

I think that a decent approach would to have off duty LE armed at the entrances and exits, the guy today came in in full camo with a backpack and rifle in plain view, obviously they would have noticed something wasn't right before he even approached the entrance.

At my past job, people reacted very badly to armed in uniform off duty LEO's. They felt that the area was unsafe, and didn't look past that to see it as an "insurance policy" or a simple precaution.

I respect anyones decision if armed, and not being paid to protect the area, to run as fast as anyone else who just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Most people didn't know if there was more than one shooter, he had a rifle, plenty of ammo. What if he had been wearing body armor? I don't think a lot of us wear body armor when we are out and about, and (some do) not a lot of us carry enough ammo to sustain a firefight with a man weilding a rifle with a bag full of ammunition.

The most ammo I carry is 33 rounds of 9mm. Unless I get very lucky, I probably am not going to be able to take this guy down unless I am very close and he doesn't see me, even harder if he is wearing armor. Have him throw a couple rounds your way and see if you want to peek around the corner again.

I think anyone at that moment also knew that this guy wasn't there to just hold up the place and kill anyone who got in his way, he was there to kill anyone he could.

Suing the mall however is out of the question... a ridiculous thought.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

jpierce wrote:
unrequited wrote:
So any news on where he got the rifle from? He had a felony drug conviction so there goes his right to own.
Last report I found says he stole it from his estranged step-father.

http://www.ketv.com/news/14782867/detail.html
And surprise, surprise ... Just like practically every other person who has committed a mass shooting followed by suicide over the last decade, this kid was apparently on prescription psychotropics.

I know it is soooo easy for the media to attack the guns, but when is someone going to wake up and say "You know ... it might be a bad idea to take hormonal teens who already have emotional issues and give them drugs which surpress their emotions including fear of death and compassion for others!!!!!!"

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

30 cal slut

imported post

let me see if i have this right.

1. reportedly had a felony drug conviction - ineligible to
own a firearm

2. allegedly stole the sks from his dad/step-dad

3. was possibly whacked out on psychotrophic medication
(antidepressants)

4. NE recently implemented concealed carry, but surprise
surprise the mall was posted off-limits.

5. cnn, fox, and MSM continue to feed the active shooter
phenomenon by posting this guy's picture all over the place,
thereby posthumously giving the loser what he wanted all along.

:cuss:

Superlite27

imported post

In fact, although some chains such as Bag 'N Save have posted signs and shopping malls such asWestroads Mallhave added "no weapons" clauses to their posted codes of conduct, many small businesses haven't seen the need. And at least one that did later reconsidered.

Yeah. How many mass killings in "Gun Free Zones" does it take for people to realize they're only gun free if criminals decide to suddenly start obeying the law?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Today Fox News is reporting he showed the SKS to the woman whose family he was staying with. She didn't worry because the gun "looked too old to work". AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH.....

Fired from his job.

Lost his girlfriend.

Possibly on psychotropic drugs.

Anyone think that sounds like a prescription?

Further, it's one thing when a person walks in to a mall with a gun. Don't we, as those who carry, though, train ourselves to be alert to what's going on around us? Does anyone not find it odd that calls to 911 didn't happen until shots rang out? I know I'd be on the phone (unless I was in a good tactical position and needed to shoot) when I saw him stop, handle the weapon, and point (I doubt it was truly "aiming," but it may have been). That's when an armed defender would have had the advantage, not after he's begun firing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Virginian’s Response to Omaha Tragedy December 6th, 2007 I’m sorry Omaha. My heart goes out to you. I feel your pain, I really do. I am a native son. I experienced the Virginia Tech aftermath emotions. Anger, frustration, raw emotions and bitterness well up in me. The absolute devastation, the stupidity of Robert Hawkins and pain to the families at the injury and death wrought on the defenseless souls.

Yet again when seconds count, the police are only minutes away…..in this case only six (6) minutes away!

I’ve read that a common thread from survivors was “I didn’t know what to do!” You could not conceive of this happening there and nobody was prepared or trained to stop it. As a result of this tragedy, you can probably expect a knee jerk reaction to ban defensive handguns in shopping centers there too - even though the shooter used a long gun. Makes sense to me - NONSENSE.
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/12163196.html

No ban or law against weapons would/could have prevented this - criminals like Robert Hawkins will still violate the law and their fellow man. What will it take to wake up Americans? You must take responsibility for your own lives - nobody else can! If you are not prepared to defend your life and that of your loved one and neighbor, who will? Do not be deceived by feel safe laws. It is up to you to be prepared and personally react to the best of your ability and judgment. Too soon to hear this? No it is not! It is late, but not too late to prepare for the next time…..and there will be a next time.

Again, my heart goes out to you. Respond to this tragedy with a positive reaction - vow to never become a passive victim.

Take heed. Protect your rights. Learn from adversity.

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tess wrote:
...Further, it's one thing when a person walks in to a mall with a gun. Don't we, as those who carry, though, train ourselves to be alert to what's going on around us? Does anyone not find it odd that calls to 911 didn't happen until shots rang out? I know I'd be on the phone (unless I was in a good tactical position and needed to shoot) when I saw him stop, handle the weapon, and point (I doubt it was truly "aiming," but it may have been). That's when an armed defender would have had the advantage, not after he's begun firing.

I don't know if it's clear yet when the first 911 call came in vis-à-vis the shooter's activities in the mall.....

But I will say this. It is becoming an increasingly attractive of an idea to establish a protocol (for myself and to be suggested to anyone) that a (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place is a BIG FAT DANGER SIGNAL REQUIRING IMMEDIATE ACTION.

Appropriate actions upon seeing a (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place would stem from the presumption that such an event is highly abnormal and totally undesirable to all constituencies involved.

And those appropriate actions would likely not be pleasant for the long gun carrier...

There is no reasonable basis for a person to be walking around a mall with a loaded long gun. I would view such a person as an immediate threat to me and anyone else in the vicinity. I would act accordingly.

A (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place such as a mall, residential area, business district= DANGER.

Obviously, some public places such as gun shops, Cabela's, gun shows would not be relevant to my suggestion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
Tess wrote:
...Further, it's one thing when a person walks in to a mall with a gun. Don't we, as those who carry, though, train ourselves to be alert to what's going on around us? Does anyone not find it odd that calls to 911 didn't happen until shots rang out? I know I'd be on the phone (unless I was in a good tactical position and needed to shoot) when I saw him stop, handle the weapon, and point (I doubt it was truly "aiming," but it may have been). That's when an armed defender would have had the advantage, not after he's begun firing.

I don't know if it's clear yet when the first 911 call came in vis a vis the shooters activities in the mall.....

But I will say this. It is becoming an increasingly attractive of an idea to establish a protocol (for myself and to be suggested to anyone) that a (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place is a BIG FAT DANGER SIGNAL.

Appropriate actions upon seeing a (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place would stem from the basis that such an event is abnormal and undesirable to all constituencies involved. And those appropriate actions would likely not be pleasant for the long gun carrier...

There is no reasonable basis for a person to be walking around a mall with a loaded long gun. I would view such a person as an immediate threat to me and anyone else in the vicinity.
+1 Tess's post

Again it's not the gun but the person's actions - where and what he/she is doing that counts.

Yata hey