• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mall open carry, now?

Carondalet

imported post

OK, we open carry all the time and expect confrontation here, and there, but how in the Hell are we going to open carry in the mall without a GUARANTEED "man with a gun", call now? Soccer Mom's don't see a potential savior, they see man with a gun. I would at least like the respect that if I was to go foul of the law, you would not see it until I wanted you to. Alas, they do not think that far ahead. I'm a seasoned open carrier, but I feeluneasy the most at the mall, specifically, Mall of Louisiana on Bluebonnet. I've open carried at New Orleans airport, with confrontation, but I quashed it easily. NOBODY expected it, there, either.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carondalet wrote:
SNIP OK, we open carry all the time and expect confrontation here, and there, but how in the Hell are we going to open carry in the mall without a GUARANTEED "man with a gun", call now?
I don't think it will be too bad, if any change.

We didn't notice an uptick after the Trolley Square or VA Tech murders, if I recall.

It all goes back to demeanor, dress, etc.

charlie12

imported post

Carondalet wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I haven't been dissed in there, yet, but you know how it is. I especially like the rent-a-cops new state trooper cowboy like hats.
Mall Ninja's with Trooper hats? How do you keep from laughing. :lol:

imported post

That's just too funny. Kinda like saying nobody could have done a better job gassing the Jews than our hero, Adolph.
I'll call the Mall of Louisiana, ask about their "policy" concerning guns in the mall and if there are any signs posted at the entrances. Absent that, a visit is in order.

MindenGlock

imported post

I just called Pierre-Bossier mall in Bossier City. According to their security departmen, guns are not allowed in the mall. He said that even Concealed carry is not allowed and he thought is said so on the permit. I asked how I was to know this if there are no signs posted? no answer. He said there would be no problem with me leaving the gun in the car. I told him my Glock did not have a remote control and wouls do me no good in the car. I also said that after the recent mall shooting my family no longer felt safe if i was not armed and we would shop elsewhere.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I think openly carrying in a mall is more important now than it has been. Now when someone asks you "why do you have a gun, in a mall!?!" all you have to do is say "uh, do you WATCH the news?". I've had people ask me before if I was really expecting to have to use my gun in the mall. Well hell, now I can say yes!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Open Carry is required by VA in restaurants serving alcohol in malls - so that's what I ussully do at malls - OC there, but CC in mall generally b/c of the previously discussed "tragedy of the commons" "security" problem - no shop keeper controls the mall hallways, so strange rules and reactions can occur from corp. hied mall "security" with little guidanc from those with financial stakes in keeping customers shopping or with providingsecurity.

I have OCed at malls generally though without incident a few times:cool:

charlie12

imported post

MindenGlock wrote:
I just called Pierre-Bossier mall in Bossier City. According to their security departmen, guns are not allowed in the mall. He said that even Concealed carry is not allowed and he thought is said so on the permit. I asked how I was to know this if there are no signs posted? no answer. He said there would be no problem with me leaving the gun in the car. I told him my Glock did not have a remote control and wouls do me no good in the car. I also said that after the recent mall shooting my family no longer felt safe if i was not armed and we would shop elsewhere.
Sounds like the mall ninja shouldn't try to think. He might need to read theConcealed Handgun Permit rules before he shoots his mouth off. No pun intended.

Carondalet

imported post

From what I gather, signs do not mean SQUAT! You have to physically be asked to leave and if you do not then it can be trespass. Can the ninja ask you to leave, or does it have to be owner/management? Especially if he is misinformed, which will be 100% of the time. Had a problem at a Home Depot before. Their manual said no weapons for employees. He took it as customers, too, until he got a wedgie update from me.

aroundlsu

imported post

My g/f and I noticed last week a pair of the ninjas had a teenager in handcuffs inside Express at Mall of La. I assume for shoplifting. Where does a mall security guard get the power of arrest? Would you allow mall security to arrest you or take your weapon from you?

Imagine this entirely plausible scenario: You are carrying concealed or open at the Mall of La. and a security guard takes it upon himself to arrest and disarm you because he believes you are doing something illegal by carrying a gun. How far do you go to prevent him from doing so? Would you go as far as to draw on a security guard who was preventing you from leaving the premises or was trying to take your weapon from you?

I would try to peacefully retreat to the parking lot. I would under no circumstances allow a private security officer to handcuff or disarm me. For all I know, he's a bad guy in a costume. Or, even worse, he's an idiot and accidently shoots an innocent bystandard while trying to remove my weapon. If they seem intent on using force to subdue me then I would run and scream for the police. I don't believe I would draw in a crowded mall but I would fight back to protect the weapon and run as best I could.

aroundlsu

imported post

Thanks. Awesome case. I'm reading about it now. I suppose this would protect you from the reciept nazi's at Wal-Mart and Cabelas? I actually saw uniformed Gonzales City Police detaining people at Cabelas opening day just to check their bags and receipts as they walk out the door. They had a table setup and were taking peoples items out in front of everyone with no probable cause whatsoever. I also saw EBRSO at Burlington Coat Factory checking receipts.

Normal receipt checkers I have no problem brushing off but a city police officer while I'm carrying? I see that ending with a taser shot to my chest.

imported post

One of the deputies at Burlington approached me as I entered, openly carrying. He almost stepped on my boot toes and got right up in my face, trying to intimidate me. I told him point blank, "hey, I didn't come in here to be hassled, but to buy something. If that's not acceptable, I'll go elsewhere." He stepped aside.

Carondalet

imported post

Open carried in Mall of Louisiana today. Put car in Sears for oil change, walked across parking lot, 2 laps in mall. One ninja saw me for sure, as well as a uniformed State trooper. No events.