Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Moving to CA

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    I will be moving to Fairfield in week. I am currently a gun owner (read gun nut ) from RI. Could some please update me on any special regulations/laws i may need to aware of. I already located a local gun range but if anyone is aware of any gun clubs in the area, iwill really appreciate the info.Through some posts, i know some cities require gun owners to have any firearms in the home unloaded and locked away. I intend on fully complying with this law (if it exists )

    I also intend on expanding my handgun collection and know that prices in CA are well above some other parts of the country. Anyone know of any reputable gun shops in the area and also of any stores/outlets where i could purchase range ammo. I shoot approx 300 rounds per week (yes yes, i need a life )

    Thankk

  2. #2
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    Could some please update me on any special regulations/laws i may need to aware of.
    You have to leave all your really 'scary' guns behind.

    Check the link to the AG's office.

    http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/

    A short overview- No high capacity mags (10 rounds or less only). Your rifles cant be on the banned list or have a certain combination of features... (like a detachable magazine and a pistol grip or thumbhole stock.) Transportation of your handguns is somewhat limited- usually unloaded and in a locked case is required to comply with school zones, and loaded or concealed weapons exemptions.

    Its not much of a welcome, but we can use all the gun nuts we can get. Welcome aboard.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    Transportation of your handguns is somewhat limited- usually unloaded and in a locked case is required to comply with school zones, and loaded or concealed weapons exemptions.
    Make that extremely limited. Pretty much it's only safe to carry places you're familiar with. Gotta know where city limits are, gotta know where school zones are, etc.

    CA is probably the second worst place within the US as far as gun rights... next to DC. Or wait, the DC court overthrew their gun control... so CA is the worst.

    I would also emphasize the 'safe gun' and 'high capacity magazine' regs. Oh, and handgun registration - all handguns must be registered with the state... I assume that's in case they decide to outlaw them, makes it easier to know who's homes to raid when they aren't given up voluntarily.

    Welcome to CA; the criminals love it here.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    Through some posts, i know some cities require gun owners to have any firearms in the home unloaded and locked away. I intend on fully complying with this law (if it exists )
    I've been in CA for almost 20 years and never heard of this. I know some cities have old laws on the books from before state preemption. The only thing a city can regulate is gun possession on city property.

    Here's a good flyer that a member here compiled from all our research.

    I can't guarantee it to be complete and correct. However, short of hiring a lawyer to review it I think it's the best information you'll find anywhere. Several members here contributed many hours of research into statutes and case law. It's definitely better than the propoganda the AG puts out.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    blak wrote:
    Through some posts, i know some cities require gun owners to have any firearms in the home unloaded and locked away. I intend on fully complying with this law (if it exists )
    I've been in CA for almost 20 years and never heard of this. I know some cities have old laws on the books from before state preemption. The only thing a city can regulate is gun possession on city property.

    Here's a good flyer that a member here compiled from all our research.

    I can't guarantee it to be complete and correct. However, short of hiring a lawyer to review it I think it's the best information you'll find anywhere. Several members here contributed many hours of research into statutes and case law. It's definitely better than the propoganda the AG puts out.

    So does that mean i cannot have any 15 cap or 17 cap mags for handguns ?

    Secondly, if all handguns have to be registered, how do i go about doing this? Is there a website i would visit or do i have to make an appearance at the local Police department . (i will be in Fairfield )

    Thirdly, when visiting the local range, doi have have to map out a route that does not come 100 yards close to a school or educational facility/daycare/kindergarten?

    Lastly, why do i really want to ball in a corner and cry?

    Someone, anyone out there relate ?


  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    So does that mean i cannot have any 15 cap or 17 cap mags for handguns ?

    Secondly, if all handguns have to be registered, how do i go about doing this? Is there a website i would visit or do i have to make an appearance at the local Police department . (i will be in Fairfield )

    Thirdly, when visiting the local range, doi have have to map out a route that does not come 100 yards close to a school or educational facility/daycare/kindergarten?
    First, correct, you cannot import mags over 10 rounds.

    Second, check here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

    Third, just don't load them, and keep your handguns in the trunk or in a locked case, and you'll be fine. For those of us who like to push it a little further than that, see:

    http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    What if i want to purchase a firearm. what is the HSC. Is it a writtn quiz i take at the local gun store (like other states )?

    I really do appreciate the input .

  8. #8
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    Lastly, why do i really want to ball in a corner and cry?

    Someone, anyone out there relate ?
    and this is what we do after retuning from a trip to Free America. Then we get up the next day continue fighting for what it right!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    What if i want to purchase a firearm. what is the HSC. Is it a writtn quiz i take at the local gun store (like other states )?

    I really do appreciate the input .
    Oh wait...my wife i active duty. I do not intend on changing my drivers license. Does that mean i will have to have her purchase all the firearms /ammo for me. I am assuming it is not possible to do so with an out of state license. Would a military dependants ID be sufficient?

  10. #10
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    Is it a writtn quiz i take at the local gun store (like other states )?
    Yes it is. And I believe it's good for 2 or 5 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    Thanks alot. I do appreciate the info.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    HSC is good for 5 years.

    Most of the regulations on weapons can be loopholed around such as assault weapons, open carry, etc. but it's a major pain in the ass.

    And when I was out of state (in NV at a friends) I couldn't find any sort of serial numbers or identification on magazines of any size. I was just wondering can they technically even prove when a hi-cap magazine was manufactured/imported?

    That's probably a discussion for another thread.

    Welcome to CA the wonderful home of the happiest place on the Earth!

    I'll just start a counter on how many days before you want to move out....

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    I'll just start a counter on how many days before you want to move out....





    move out? am already contemplating breaking my leg just to stay put. Come to think of it, i do have some leave on the roof that require removal. If i do that tonight ...

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    MudCamper wrote:
    blak wrote:
    So does that mean i cannot have any 15 cap or 17 cap mags for handguns ?

    Secondly, if all handguns have to be registered, how do i go about doing this? Is there a website i would visit or do i have to make an appearance at the local Police department . (i will be in Fairfield )

    Thirdly, when visiting the local range, doi have have to map out a route that does not come 100 yards close to a school or educational facility/daycare/kindergarten?
    First, correct, you cannot import mags over 10 rounds.

    Second, check here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

    Third, just don't load them, and keep your handguns in the trunk or in a locked case, and you'll be fine. For those of us who like to push it a little further than that, see:

    http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

    Thanks for the links, they were very helpful. I guess am will be required to register my guns within 60 days. Not too happy about the 19 dollar charge per gun. Thats flat out robbery. Fellas, thats almost two boxes of cheap range ammo (read bliss ). So for four handguns , looking at 76 bucks.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    blak wrote:
    What if i want to purchase a firearm. what is the HSC. Is it a writtn quiz i take at the local gun store (like other states )?

    I really do appreciate the input .
    Oh wait...my wife i active duty. I do not intend on changing my drivers license. Does that mean i will have to have her purchase all the firearms /ammo for me. I am assuming it is not possible to do so with an out of state license. Would a military dependants ID be sufficient?
    According to the BATF, we active duty military folks can legally purchase firearms in the state of our Home of Record (generally where you pay taxes too/have your drivers licence/are registered to vote, and in the state of your assigned duty station. I don't know how California laws handle this, I had a quick look at the website, but didn't search "military". If the state gives you a hard time, report them to the BATF, the base legal office, and pull out the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmans Civil Relief Act. You may be required to give a copy of your orders, possibly a letter from your unit commander or the base legal office saying you are not mental, and proof of residency (lease/mortgage paperwork/utility bills). I don't have the BATF page link here on duty, I'll post it when I get home tonight.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    Sorry, i mis typed. I meant my wife is active duty .She wears the uniform, i do all the shooting. By the way, any websites i could hit to find local ranges that may have classes. I attended a couple NRA classes before and find that these are excellent networking spots.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    According to the BATF, we active duty military folks can legally purchase firearms in the state of our Home of Record (generally where you pay taxes too/have your drivers licence/are registered to vote, and in the state of your assigned duty station. I don't know how California laws handle this, I had a quick look at the website, but didn't search "military". If the state gives you a hard time, report them to the BATF, the base legal office, and pull out the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmans Civil Relief Act. You may be required to give a copy of your orders, possibly a letter from your unit commander or the base legal office saying you are not mental, and proof of residency (lease/mortgage paperwork/utility bills). I don't have the BATF page link here on duty, I'll post it when I get home tonight.
    You can indeed purchase the firearms in your home of record. You still need to register them with CA DOJ within 60 days. While you are not "technically" a resident of California, you are indeed "residing" in California. And there is nowhere in the Penal Code that I have been able to find where Military stationed in CA or dependents of Military are exempt.

    I currently work in an Air Force Orderly Room and I personally brief every new arrival of the 60 day requirement on handgun registration.

    TSgt, USAF, Retired

  18. #18
    Newbie cato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,335

    Post imported post

    blak wrote:
    ...active duty....



    Go to calguns.net and ask about issues with military moving to the state. If you own an AR or AK style rifle and are active military there is a process for you to import your CA "assault rifle". There may also be other exemptions I don't know about. They are up on those laws better than I so check them out before you move.

    What branch of service are you in?



    edit: Ok just noticed your wife wears the pants! Just kidding. If you have any CA "assault rifles" make them hers and she can get them into the state but talk with the guys at calguns.net first.



    http://bestronpaulvideos.com/




    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    I currently work in an Air Force Orderly Room and I personally brief every new arrival of the 60 day requirement on handgun registration.

    TSgt, USAF, Retired
    Just out of curiosity, are you stationed at Beal AFB or Travis AFB

  20. #20
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Neither,I am at Edwards.

    Oh yeah if you read this N2MotoX..... XOXOXOXOXOXOX

    That was for my stalker from the pacovilla site.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    I know a great gun school but it's in Pahrump NV. It's called Front Sight. Their web page is http://www.frontsight.com. I took the 4 day defensive handgun training class and it was great. Check out their page and see what they have to offer. The classes are a bit pricey but you can find a certificate for about $100 on ebay for any class. I got a free Certificate for posting there add on my blog site but they are not offering that option any longer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •