• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to CA

blak

imported post

I will be moving to Fairfield in week. I am currently a gun owner (read gun nut ) from RI. Could some please update me on any special regulations/laws i may need to aware of. I already located a local gun range but if anyone is aware of any gun clubs in the area, iwill really appreciate the info.Through some posts, i know some cities require gun owners to have any firearms in the home unloaded and locked away. I intend on fully complying with this law (if it exists ):lol:

I also intend on expanding my handgun collection and know that prices in CA are well above some other parts of the country. Anyone know of any reputable gun shops in the area and also of any stores/outlets where i could purchase range ammo. I shoot approx 300 rounds per week (yes yes, i need a life )

Thankk

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

blak wrote:
Could some please update me on any special regulations/laws i may need to aware of.
You have to leave all your really 'scary' guns behind.

Check the link to the AG's office.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/

A short overview- No high capacity mags (10 rounds or less only). Your rifles cant be on the banned list or have a certain combination of features... (like a detachable magazine and a pistol grip or thumbhole stock.) Transportation of your handguns is somewhat limited- usually unloaded and in a locked case is required to comply with school zones, and loaded or concealed weapons exemptions.

Its not much of a welcome, but we can use all the gun nuts we can get. Welcome aboard.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Transportation of your handguns is somewhat limited- usually unloaded and in a locked case is required to comply with school zones, and loaded or concealed weapons exemptions.
Make that extremely limited. Pretty much it's only safe to carry places you're familiar with. Gotta know where city limits are, gotta know where school zones are, etc.

CA is probably the second worst place within the US as far as gun rights... next to DC. Or wait, the DC court overthrew their gun control... so CA is the worst.

I would also emphasize the 'safe gun' and 'high capacity magazine' regs. Oh, and handgun registration - all handguns must be registered with the state... I assume that's in case they decide to outlaw them, makes it easier to know who's homes to raid when they aren't given up voluntarily.

Welcome to CA; the criminals love it here.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

blak wrote:
Through some posts, i know some cities require gun owners to have any firearms in the home unloaded and locked away. I intend on fully complying with this law (if it exists ):lol:
I've been in CA for almost 20 years and never heard of this. I know some cities have old laws on the books from before state preemption. The only thing a city can regulate is gun possession on city property.

Here's a good flyer that a member here compiled from all our research.

I can't guarantee it to be complete and correct. However, short of hiring a lawyer to review it I think it's the best information you'll find anywhere. Several members here contributed many hours of research into statutes and case law. It's definitely better than the propoganda the AG puts out.

blak

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
blak wrote:
Through some posts, i know some cities require gun owners to have any firearms in the home unloaded and locked away. I intend on fully complying with this law (if it exists ):lol:
I've been in CA for almost 20 years and never heard of this. I know some cities have old laws on the books from before state preemption. The only thing a city can regulate is gun possession on city property.

Here's a good flyer that a member here compiled from all our research.

I can't guarantee it to be complete and correct. However, short of hiring a lawyer to review it I think it's the best information you'll find anywhere. Several members here contributed many hours of research into statutes and case law. It's definitely better than the propoganda the AG puts out.

So does that mean i cannot have any 15 cap or 17 cap mags for handguns ?

Secondly, if all handguns have to be registered, how do i go about doing this? Is there a website i would visit or do i have to make an appearance at the local Police department . (i will be in Fairfield )

Thirdly, when visiting the local range, doi have have to map out a route that does not come 100 yards close to a school or educational facility/daycare/kindergarten?

Lastly, why do i really want to ball in a corner and cry?

Someone, anyone out there relate ?

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

blak wrote:

Secondly, if all handguns have to be registered, how do i go about doing this? Is there a website i would visit or do i have to make an appearance at the local Police department . (i will be in Fairfield )

Thirdly, when visiting the local range, doi have have to map out a route that does not come 100 yards close to a school or educational facility/daycare/kindergarten?

First, correct, you cannot import mags over 10 rounds.

Second, check here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

Third, just don't load them, and keep your handguns in the trunk or in a locked case, and you'll be fine. For those of us who like to push it a little further than that, see:

http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

blak

imported post

What if i want to purchase a firearm. what is the HSC. Is it a writtn quiz i take at the local gun store (like other states )?

I really do appreciate the input .

cato

imported post

blak wrote:
Lastly, why do i really want to ball in a corner and cry?

Someone, anyone out there relate ?
and this is what we do after retuning from a trip to Free America. Then we get up the next day continue fighting for what it right!

Attachments

• RPHopeFeilds.gif
    RPHopeFeilds.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 283

blak

imported post

blak wrote:
What if i want to purchase a firearm. what is the HSC. Is it a writtn quiz i take at the local gun store (like other states )?

Oh wait...my wife i active duty. I do not intend on changing my drivers license. Does that mean i will have to have her purchase all the firearms /ammo for me. I am assuming it is not possible to do so with an out of state license. Would a military dependants ID be sufficient?

cato

imported post

blak wrote:
Is it a writtn quiz i take at the local gun store (like other states )?
Yes it is. And I believe it's good for 2 or 5 years.

Attachments

• YouraRPVoterFlag_PPA.gif
    YouraRPVoterFlag_PPA.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 277

Hellrazor227

imported post

HSC is good for 5 years.

Most of the regulations on weapons can be loopholed around such as assault weapons, open carry, etc. but it's a major pain in the ass.

And when I was out of state (in NV at a friends) I couldn't find any sort of serial numbers or identification on magazines of any size. I was just wondering can they technically even prove when a hi-cap magazine was manufactured/imported?

That's probably a discussion for another thread.

Welcome to CA the wonderful home of the happiest place on the Earth!

I'll just start a counter on how many days before you want to move out....

blak

imported post

I'll just start a counter on how many days before you want to move out....

move out? am already contemplating breaking my leg just to stay put. Come to think of it, i do have some leave on the roof that require removal. If i do that tonight ...

blak

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
blak wrote:

First, correct, you cannot import mags over 10 rounds.

Second, check here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

Third, just don't load them, and keep your handguns in the trunk or in a locked case, and you'll be fine. For those of us who like to push it a little further than that, see:

http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf
Thanks for the links, they were very helpful. I guess am will be required to register my guns within 60 days. Not too happy about the 19 dollar charge per gun. Thats flat out robbery. Fellas, thats almost two boxes of cheap range ammo (read bliss ). So for four handguns , looking at 76 bucks.

PavePusher

imported post

blak wrote:
blak wrote:

Oh wait...my wife i active duty. I do not intend on changing my drivers license. Does that mean i will have to have her purchase all the firearms /ammo for me. I am assuming it is not possible to do so with an out of state license. Would a military dependants ID be sufficient?
According to the BATF, we active duty military folks can legally purchase firearms in the state of our Home of Record (generally where you pay taxes too/have your drivers licence/are registered to vote, and in the state of your assigned duty station. I don't know how California laws handle this, I had a quick look at the website, but didn't search "military". If the state gives you a hard time, report them to the BATF, the base legal office, and pull out the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmans Civil Relief Act. You may be required to give a copy of your orders, possibly a letter from your unit commander or the base legal office saying you are not mental, and proof of residency (lease/mortgage paperwork/utility bills). I don't have the BATF page link here on duty, I'll post it when I get home tonight.

blak

imported post

Sorry, i mis typed. I meant my wife is active duty .She wears the uniform, i do all the shooting. By the way, any websites i could hit to find local ranges that may have classes. I attended a couple NRA classes before and find that these are excellent networking spots.

Decoligny

imported post

According to the BATF, we active duty military folks can legally purchase firearms in the state of our Home of Record (generally where you pay taxes too/have your drivers licence/are registered to vote, and in the state of your assigned duty station. I don't know how California laws handle this, I had a quick look at the website, but didn't search "military". If the state gives you a hard time, report them to the BATF, the base legal office, and pull out the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmans Civil Relief Act. You may be required to give a copy of your orders, possibly a letter from your unit commander or the base legal office saying you are not mental, and proof of residency (lease/mortgage paperwork/utility bills). I don't have the BATF page link here on duty, I'll post it when I get home tonight.

You can indeed purchase the firearms in your home of record. You still need to register them with CA DOJ within 60 days. While you are not "technically" a resident of California, you are indeed "residing" in California. And there is nowhere in the Penal Code that I have been able to find where Military stationed in CA or dependents of Military are exempt.

I currently work in an Air Force Orderly Room and I personally brief every new arrival of the 60 day requirement on handgun registration.

TSgt, USAF, Retired

cato

imported post

blak wrote:

...active duty....

Go to calguns.net and ask about issues with military moving to the state. If you own an AR or AK style rifle and are active military there is a process for you to import your CA "assault rifle". There may also be other exemptions I don't know about. They are up on those laws better than I so check them out before you move.

What branch of service are you in?

edit: Ok just noticed your wife wears the pants! Just kidding. :) If you have any CA "assault rifles" make them hers and she can get them into the state but talk with the guys at calguns.net first.

http://bestronpaulvideos.com/

Attachments

• spikecal1.jpg
    spikecal1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 253

blak

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I currently work in an Air Force Orderly Room and I personally brief every new arrival of the 60 day requirement on handgun registration.

TSgt, USAF, Retired
Just out of curiosity, are you stationed at Beal AFB or Travis AFB