• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About Open Carry

emtutusa

imported post

I am new to OCDO and have a couple questions. Currently I CC and I took my CC class in May. At my class the instructor said that OC was regulated by municipalities. There was a long time Provo cop in the class who said for instance that OC was not allowed in Provo but it was allowed in Springville and Lehi just as examples. After finding this website it seems to me that OC is allowed anywhere regardless of the municipality involved. It is my understanding from reading on here that OC laws are preempted by the state. Can someone please tell me what specifically that means and also provide a reference to state code that essentially proves that? I just want to be sure so that if I do open carry and get challenged that I will know what I am talking about.

rocknsnow

imported post

I picked up a book which you might want to as well it is called "Utah Gun Law w/ Plain-talk summaries" 3rd ed. It is by Mitch Vilos who is an attorney. But it goes over all gun and weapons laws. It is a great reference.

But to get you started. OCing in Utah is legal for persons age 18 and above. A person under 21 and any age if they don't have a ccw they must not carry a loaded gun (a round in the chamber).

There is no law or statute that states we are allowed to open carry. Basically we can because there is not a law that prohibits us from doing so.

But here are some references:

76-10-501,503,504,505

GeneticsDave

imported post

According to state law U.C.A. 76-10-500 (Uniform Law) section 2:

"All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms."

This law keeps cities, counties, government agencies and even school districts from enacting ordinances or making rules that conflict with state law. Otherwise, gun owners would find it impossible to travel around the state without violating some obscure ordinance of rule. Without the "uniformity law" the right to carry a firearm for constitutionally protected purposes would become so overly burdensome and inconvenient that it would become meaningless.

--- The above information was taken from Mitch Vilos' 'Utah Gun Law, 3rd Edition', p. 38 ---

I highly recommend buying this book as it will help you protect yourself and know more about Utah gun law. It is available at local gun shops (Impact Guns, Doug's Shoot 'n Sports, etc), but supplies are limited, Mitch only printed 2500 copies. Get yours soon!

The Provo cop was wrong and misinformed. He should buy this book as well :D