• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PT 145 of XD45

1911CC

imported post

I have a series 70 Colt Combat Commander that is harder to carry in FL, with hardly any heavy cloths worn. I want a smaller weapon for both me and my wife. She can handle the CC in 45ACP. I have looked at both of these guns. Opinions on either?Thanks.

Jersey Ron

imported post

PT145 by Taurus I assume? If so, I actually own one and I also own an XD45, not compact though. However, I have fired the XD45 compact many times. To be totally honest I can't see how you can go wrong with either. The XD has a better feel and slightly better accuracy. But the Taurus comes with a lifetime warranty, if that means anything to you.

Jersey

1911CC

imported post

Thanks, I was hoping that someone had dealt with both. Sounds like they both fit the bill. I think the Taurus is less expennsive than the XD generally speaking.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I primarily carry an XD 45 compact. I use the 10 rd mag for CC to prevent printing. I use the 13 rd mag at the range and OC as it is much more comfortable in my hand. IMO the XD is the evolution of the Glock concepts. They also come with a lifetime warranty.

I'm not familiar with the Taurus so I can't compare them.

Here is a pretty good review of the XD 9 - the general info would apply to the other XD models as well:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/XD-9_Tactical.htm

Like with all firearms stuff, it is how well it fits you that matters.

VAopencarry

imported post

Holster selection is a good point. Might want to holster shop before deciding on either. Springfield also has a lifetime warranty.

Hef

imported post

I own a PT745 Millenium Pro, which is the same as the PT145, but has a 6-round single-stack magazine and no integral rail. I have put 1200 rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kind. It goes bang every time I ask it to.

I purchased 2 extra mags, so I have 4, as the gun comes with 2. The mags are about $30 each, and I know of no company that manufactures an aftermarket mag. I doubt the price will drop any time soon.

My pistol came with the stainless slide and barrel, which I like. I decided to DuraCoat the slide in black a few months ago, because I prefer a less conspicuous carry pistol. I painted the sights with DuraGlo night sight paint at the same time, which has worked out very well for the $10 I spent for the DuraGlo.

The Fobus SP-11B paddle holster fits well, and rides high and tight, though it does me no good as I am lefthanded. I carry in a nylon OWB thumbbreak holster, which I hope to change - once I've found a suitable substitute.

The PT745 is small and easy to conceal, relatively light, DAO, and packs a nice .45 ACP punch for such a small package. The downside to this pistol is that it's light weight, 3.25" barrel, and .45 ACP chambering make for some difficult handling when shooting beyond 10 yards. It's very different than shooting my 1911.

But, then again, the 1911 is heavier, bigger, and only holds 1 more round than the PT745. It's a combat sidearm, and was designed for that purpose, whereas the PT745 was designed to be compact defensive (short range) pistol for civilian use.

All in all, I'm quite satisfied with my PT745, and would recommend the Millenium Pro series for everyday carry pistols.

Attachments

• Duracoat 008.jpg
    Duracoat 008.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 272