• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry handcuffs when you can just use a zip tie?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Just ran across this thread....

I am not sure why people here are carrying cuffs....

The likelihood that you would even use them are about as often as you would pull your gun.

I do not know any COPS that even carry cuffs off duty!!

I have been a cop for over 16 years and I have NEVER had a case where I needed to cuff someone while off duty. The idea that some citizens feel the need to carry cuffs is rather humorous.

People reading the fact that some citizens are carrying cuffs AND a gun may give them the impression you want to be a cop.

Just my .02 cents.
Yup! Much like the CCW Badges...Oh Sh!t, now I did it. :uhoh:

IanB

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Mall ninjas?
This just painted a funny picture in my mind of ninjas performing kung fu at the local mall, rapelling from the ceiling, and getting into sword fights.
You obviously have not been to Springfield Mall. They train Ninjas, perform kung fu, and engage in sword fights right there on premises.

http://www.kimskarateinc.com/index.cfm

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I see it as a double edged sword. I carry a gun because I am not entirely confident that I can defend myself in a fist fight. If I come close enough to someone to try and cuff them, that's an invitation for the fight to get physical. I think I'm much safer keeping the gun on them until the cops arrive. The other edge of the sword is that I have to hope that the responding officer isn't some Barney Fife who'll shoot me when he sees me pointing a gun at someone.

nofoa

imported post

Zip ties also can serve other purposes. Put some in your BUG for makeshift tourniquits. Fix a hanging muffler, or other loose object. Clean up that mess of cables behind the computer.

Almost as handy as a towel.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know a few people have said they carry cuffs, but I don't think it is very many. I carry a gun for defense. If the guy runs away that is why we have LEOs. It is not my job to place myself, my loved ones or the community at greater risk by trying to take the person into custody until the police arrive and run the risk of being over powered or out maneuvered and having my gun taken.

WARCHILD

imported post

I agree with Leo, to a point. I have a set of cuffs in my truck glovebox, only as a joking thing with friends (they were a gift from my wife, she said she didn't need them anymore) But I did demonstrate a challenge to my Boy Scouts one night. They said even if I cuffed two of them together, they could still get away. So I picked two boys and cuffed one's left hand to the other's right ankle and told them to go ahead and leave. The rest of the troop, including these two boys, were laughing to hard to go very far.

A little off the base topic, but cuffs can be fun. :celebrate

jack

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Just ran across this thread....

I am not sure why people here are carrying cuffs....

The likelihood that you would even use them are about as often as you would pull your gun.

I do not know any COPS that even carry cuffs off duty!!

I have been a cop for over 16 years and I have NEVER had a case where I needed to cuff someone while off duty. The idea that some citizens feel the need to carry cuffs is rather humorous.

People reading the fact that some citizens are carrying cuffs AND a gun may give them the impression you want to be a cop.

Just my .02 cents.

Rather humorous ? I think it's boarder line insane and pretty dam weird. If a guy was carrying cuffs, wearing one of those (hi I'm a weirdo concealed carry badges, or worse flashing it) I think the charge of impersonating a officer could stick. Something is wrong with a guy that wants to do this kind of thing. Reminds me of that bizarre guy that had safety lights installed in the grill of his SUV and pulled over a Fairfax County cop and identified himself as a police officer. She said, "really I'm a police officer too, let me see your badge". You know that fool was thinking , oopys bad traffic stop, even real cops don't have it this bad ! That officer had to be thinking WTF !!

Here is the nut job:

Attachments

• 010708policeimpersonatorstevenrivas.jpg
    010708policeimpersonatorstevenrivas.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 417

tattedupboy

imported post

Upon initially reading this thread, I didn't see the need to carry handcuffs. However, after doing some thinking I concluded that handcuffs/zip ties, if accompanied by pepper spray and and/or an electric immobilization device, could come in handy for keeping a potential attacker at bay until police arrive. I'm not going to start carrying them, but nevertheless, it's not as bad an idea as it initially seemed to me.

richarcm

imported post

Where do you people live that requires that you carry guns, knives AND handcuffs/zip ties?

I want to make a mental note to NEVER move there!! lol

richarcm

imported post

jack wrote:
I don't know, Highland & Hanover street are in the news a lot.

So is DC. I'm a 20 minute drive from DC which of course is where we go on the weekends and such. Sure it can be dangerous there but only if you get lost or make a wrong turn into the ghetto. If I feel that I need an arsenal of firearms, knives, mace and handcuffs then I just wouldn't be there. Thats just me. Of course you can't have guns in DC anyways.

I understand that the gun is for self defense and that you can't ever tell when it could save your life or when you would be able to save someone else's life. I also understand that it is liberating to OC. But in all of my life I have never been in a position where a firearm was necessary. If i'm in an area where a gun and handcuffs are required I would just assume take my white butt back to my truck and get the hell out.

I dunno. I guess to me a gun is one thing. Its realistically at the end of the day more of an issue of liberty and exhileration than self defense. But handcuffs?

SANDCREEK

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Of course you can't have guns in DC anyways. [ Heller v DC ????]

I understand that the gun is for self defense and that you can't ever tell when it could save your life or when you would be able to save someone else's life. I also understand that it is liberating to OC. But in all of my life I have never been in a position where a firearm was necessary.

I dunno. I guess to me a gun is one thing. Its realistically at the end of the day more of an issue of liberty and exhileration than self defense.
Unfortunately each year thousands of Americans are not so fortunate, and fall victim to violent criminal conduct.I suspect from your verbal style that you present a self-confidence and posture in public, combined with a physical "profile" that projects a "don't mess with me " presentation. As you are probably aware -it is estimated that 2.5 million times a year criminal conduct is stopped by citizens with guns in hand. Thousands of Americans needlessly become victims of rape, robbery, car-jackings, kidnappings,and homicidesin situations where possession of a firearm would have prevented the criminal act. Absolutely - quite "exhilerating" & "liberating" to be able to save yourself from serious injury or death because you are armed. For what it's worth - thousands of people havefound themselvesinside crashed airplanes , who NEVER before had been involved in an airplane crash.

richarcm

imported post

SANDCREEK wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Of course you can't have guns in DC anyways. [ Heller v DC ????]

I understand that the gun is for self defense and that you can't ever tell when it could save your life or when you would be able to save someone else's life. I also understand that it is liberating to OC. But in all of my life I have never been in a position where a firearm was necessary.

I dunno. I guess to me a gun is one thing. Its realistically at the end of the day more of an issue of liberty and exhileration than self defense.
Unfortunately each year thousands of Americans are not so fortunate, and fall victim to violent criminal conduct.I suspect from your verbal style that you present a self-confidence and posture in public, combined with a physical "profile" that projects a "don't mess with me " presentation. As you are probably aware -it is estimated that 2.5 million times a year criminal conduct is stopped by citizens with guns in hand. Thousands of Americans needlessly become victims of rape, robbery, car-jackings, kidnappings,and homicidesin situations where possession of a firearm would have prevented the criminal act. Absolutely - quite "exhilerating" & "liberating" to be able to save yourself from serious injury or death because you are armed. For what it's worth - thousands of people havefound themselvesinside crashed airplanes , who NEVER before had been involved in an airplane crash.
From my understanding you can own a gun but you still can't walk outside of your front door with it.

I also understand that there is such a thing as violent criminal conduct. However it is typically because you chose to put yourself either in a bad part of your area OR you chose to put yourself in bad situations where violence is almost inevitable. Not to say that you deserve to be acted violently upon but a large percentage of violence is preventable by the victim if they were just smart enough to walk away.

That being said I am still not going to put myself in a situation where having guns, knives, mace and handcuffs are necessary. Whether it be to hang out in a dangerous part of town or hang out with hot headed sketchy people. Granted I'm not a woman and it is slightly different for them. But that is why I understand owning a firearm. I just think that walking around with handcuffs is overkill and 9.999999999 times out of 10 completely unnecessary.

I understand protecting yourself. But to walk around cloaked like a LEO or an Iraqi soldier seems to be a bit unwarranted.

Stay out of the ghettos!!!!

jack

Banned
imported post

Not all of us have government job where we set behind a desk (accomplishing virtually nothing all day living off the taxpayers like a parasite ) and can avoid the "ghettos" . Last night I was making deliveries in Durham at 2am, I was armed as always.

B y the way Springfield mall has had several murders and many shootings over the last few years. I guess you didn't know you lived in a Ghetto huh ? A guy can live in Daventry in a $600,000 home and still be in the ghetto.