• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWP and ID Check

Xeni

imported post

It's sad to say but I believe it's getting a little too cold for me to refuse to wear my jacket/coat any longer in order to OC so I'm thinking about switching to CC until it warms back up. I have a class that I'm attending on Sunday and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Now, after taking the course and applying for my permit. My understanding is that if I'm CC and asked by LEO to show my permit and my ID I am required by law to do so. Does that go for when I OC? Am I required to show papers even if I'm not CCing?

Silly question but civil disobedience is a healthy thing. :lol:

-X

LEO 229

imported post

You NEVER have to show your ID unless.....

Operating a car you have to produce your license

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

Section H

The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

Xeni

imported post

Thanks guys.. This makes my quest to become a test case for the Immigration resolution in PWC all the more fun! :celebrate

Seriously, good information. Thank you.

-X

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

229 is correct and I would like to point out (I point this out quite often) that a Drivers License is not ID. It is a license to drive. Some people accept it as ID bit it is simply a license.

The Commonwealth does sell an ID if one were so inclined to want one. I can't imagine why anyone would be so inclined though.:banghead:

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
229 is correct and I would like to point out (I point this out quite often) that a Drivers License is not ID. It is a license to drive. Some people accept it as ID bit it is simply a license.

The Commonwealth does sell an ID if one were so inclined to want one. I can't imagine why anyone would be so inclined though.:banghead:
Actually.. It is a dual purpose item.

Itis an State issued identification card AND a license to operate a motor vehicle all rolled into one.

You CANNOT have both a State operators license and a State ID card at the same time.

The State ID card and License are virtually the same with the exception that one identifies you can operate a motor vehicle.

Both have your photo, name, address, physical description, and signature.

BOTH identification cards.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm looking at my renewal notice now and it says Drivers License.

Just like the bank said when I wouldn't show it to them..."We accept it as ID"...Maybe so, but I don't show it as ID!:p

That's why they make ATM's I guess!

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:

I'm looking at my renewal notice now and it says Drivers License.

Just like the bank said when I wouldn't show it to them..."We accept it as ID"...Maybe so, but I don't show it as ID!:p

That's why they make ATM's I guess!
The DMVindicates that a Driver's Licenseis a primary document for proof of identity.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf

One should not confuse the terminology used to describe the documents.

A Photo ID is equal to a Driver's License when it comes to establishing identity. The only difference is one costs more and allows you to drive a motor vehicle. ;)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It just says they accept it as proof of identity. So does everyone else. It's still just a Drivers License that they accept.

I don't have official Government issued ID......and never will!

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
It just says they accept it as proof of identity. So does everyone else. It's still just a Drivers License that they accept.

I don't have official Government issued ID......and never will!
And there you go....

It serves as proof ofyour identify....

It is a card....

Therefore..... It is and always be.. an "ID card"

Enjoy!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

istockphoto_859360_don_t_want_to_hear_it.jpg

LA..LA..LA..LA..LA:lol:

Marco

imported post

in 22yrs i've never been stopped by LE and asked to produce my permit/ID.
if they noticed my CC'd firearm they ignored it.
the one time I knew the officer saw my gun (a strong wind blew open my shirt) he looked at me,I said "good day officer" and continued on with no problems.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

in 22yrs i've never been stopped by LE and asked to produce my permit/ID. if they noticed my CC'd firearm they ignored it. the one time I knew the officer saw my gun (a strong wind blew open my shirt) he looked at me, I said "good day officer" and continued on with no problems.

Same here but it's been 29 years.

rabbit994

imported post

If you seriously think that A. Prince William Immigration statute is bad B. It requires ID at all times and C. Legal open carry is going to get you become a test case, your severly mistaken.

PWC immigration resolution does alot of things but main thing it does is require officer to turn over to ICE anyone they arrest or summon (Requiring you to do something illegal) where they have Probable Cause to believe your immigration status is in question. If you need a lesson in Probable Cause, I'm sure LEO229 will be more then happy to go over it with you. So for you to test said resolution you need to commit a crime, get arrested/summoned and provide them with enough bogus information that ends up causing them to turn you over to ICE under suspecision of being an illegal alien. If you want to be that big of a tool, by all means, go ahead and do it. I'll let PWC know to be on the look out for a tool with open carried firearm.

Peter Nap, VA ID card is useful, having a picture ID does make life much easier in many circumstance and it'sno larger invasion of privacy then having a VA DL.

Xeni

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
If you seriously think that A. Prince William Immigration statute is bad B. It requires ID at all times and C. Legal open carry is going to get you become a test case, your severly mistaken.

PWC immigration resolution does alot of things but main thing it does is require officer to turn over to ICE anyone they arrest or summon (Requiring you to do something illegal) where they have Probable Cause to believe your immigration status is in question. If you need a lesson in Probable Cause, I'm sure LEO229 will be more then happy to go over it with you. So for you to test said resolution you need to commit a crime, get arrested/summoned and provide them with enough bogus information that ends up causing them to turn you over to ICE under suspecision of being an illegal alien. If you want to be that big of a tool, by all means, go ahead and do it. I'll let PWC know to be on the look out for a tool with open carried firearm.

Peter Nap, VA ID card is useful, having a picture ID does make life much easier in many circumstance and it'sno larger invasion of privacy then having a VA DL.

You assume everyone, including the police follow the law. If being a tool means exerting my rights and verifying that the police are doing what they're supposed to be doing - I'll admit it, I'm a tool. But, I'm a tool that loves and appreciates his freedom rather than a person that blindly believes that the government will do everything perfect 100% of the time.

If I need to be locked up for a few hours to prove that a law is unjust or a law enforcement officer is wrong/dirty than so be it. I will be willing to endanger my life or freedom so that you may enjoy your freedom.

And, no thanks are neccessary. :D

But, feel free to put a bumper sticker on your car that says 'Support Our Troops' or 'I Love America'. Action > Words

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Peter Nap, VA ID card is useful, having a picture ID does make life much easier in many circumstance and it's no larger invasion of privacy then having a VA DL.

Yeah and Hillary Clinton would make a great President:banghead:

sjhipple

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:

Ever notice how people always argue for a tiny bit more government intrusion in your life by simply pointing out that the government "already does x, y and z"? It's kinda like when you have a frog in a cold pot of water and start to turn up the heat little by little...

Assuming we give in and trade just a LITTLE more liberty for security, the next time around, the same people will be like "well, we ALREADY did THIS so why not just take it a half step further?"

Anyone who trusts government not to abuse it's power - even a tiny little bit of power - is a fool (sorry if that sounds a little harsh).