• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCT 24 - Is your kid's school forcing them to take "The Pledge"

Thundar

imported post

Here is what the Bady Campaign is doing on a national scale on 24 October:

http://www.pledge.org/

Look at what they recommend for your kid's school:

Participating at the Last Minute

Leading up to the Student Pledge Against Gun Violence with awareness-building activities will greatly enhance its impact. But if your school has just learned of this youth anti-gun-violence campaign and wants to take part, the suggestions below will make some participation possible.

• Clip and enlarge local news stories about recent shootings and get students to hang them on the walls.

• If there isn't time to distribute individual copies of the Pledge in an assembly or in individual classrooms, post a blow-up of the Pledge on a bulletin board or wall in the hallway, with sign-up sheets for students to sign. Or put an enlarged copy of the Pledge on the wall with a long roll of butcher paper beside it for signatures.

• Create an entire wall of black construction paper. Have students circulate between classes with trays of water-soluble colored paint and paint rollers. Invite students to roller-paint their hands and make Pledge hand-prints on the wall and sign their names beneath their hands.

• Every hour throughout the day read a statistic about young people and gun violence over the public address system. Write one statistic per page, place it on construction paper, and post in the halls.

• Have a wall of student-created posters about avoiding gun violence that can stay up in places of high visibility. Students can add new ones all year long.

• Have a student, an important public figure, your principal, or a favorite teacher lead students in reciting the Pledge over the public address system.
If your school participates, be sure to total the number of signed pledges and SEND THE TALLY to the Student Pledge office. You can enter your school's numbers directly onto the website: www.pledge.org. Or, you can call your tally in: (507) 645-5378

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I do not find the pledge offensive to the 2A cause as it is focused on the unlawful use of guns. But that will not be the extent of this movement. It will be distorted by anti-gun zealots to indocrinate the youth. The "gun violence vigils" will be turned into anti-gun propaganda. I suggest we let our children sign on as 2A infiltators to keep an eye on and steer the herd.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And the indoctrination continues. Half those kids can't even read the pledge because they are reciting it instead of learning what they need to know to survive and compete in the world. Friggin' retards running the school systems.

sjhipple

imported post

lockman wrote:
I do not find the pledge offensive to the 2A cause as it is focused on the unlawful use of guns.
That's [blur]stupid[/blur] I mean... below the median level of intelligence among American adults. "Unlawful" simply means it was against the law. Laws infringe on rights all the time. A right to do only what is lawful isn't a right at all, it's a privilege.

expvideo

imported post

I had to do this when I was in school. They've been doing this since I was a kid. I refused to sign their little pledge card, because I thought they were full of sh**. They stessed too much that guns did things on their own and that it wasn't a crime problem, but a gun problem.

I always had a problem with "I will never use a gun to settle a dispute". I didn't know exactly what they meant by that, and I thought that if that "dispute" was whether my TV should go out the door with them, a gun seemed like a great way to settle it.

Honestly though, I remember them bringing this crap to my school as a kid, and I remember thinking they were full of sh** and refusing to sign anything. Looking back, I'm proud of myself :D

OBXMIKE

imported post

If my son signs anything other than his name on a worksheet or test, it had BETTER be cleared with ME FIRST! :cuss:

Otherwise, we have an issue.........

I will have to ask my son if this has been brought up at his school.

Thanks for the post, Thundar.

G_Lyons

imported post

Depending on how you interpret the line about settling disputes I think this is a great pledge. But yes if the dispute is over whether I leave my wife a wallet with you as you go into that ally then yes I will use a gun to settle it.

But yeah the rest of the program is crap and should be replace by Eddy Eagle.

expvideo

imported post

G_Lyons wrote:
Depending on how you interpret the line about settling disputes I think this is a great pledge. But yes if the dispute is over whether I leave my wife a wallet with you as you go into that ally then yes I will use a gun to settle it.

But yeah the rest of the program is crap and should be replace by Eddy Eagle.
Absolutely agreed. Eddy Eagle was a much better program.