• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons on Federal Facility

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

You have actual federal property and federaly controlled property like a leased building or parking lot. Same rules apply to both. I learned this while in the Navy and as a federal worker.

SFDoc

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Ok, did some prior research and found this link with information on Firearms on Federal Facilities: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/18/parts/i/chapters/44/sections/section_930.html

I work as a contractor on a Federal Facility. To get into the parking lot, I have to show my work badge, so I'm assuming then the parking lot is also Federal property right? I do not intend to bring in my firearm into the building, but I would at least like it locked up in my car. I do have a "secure" box in my car. Does the fact that I have to show my ID to get into the parking lot, make the parking lotFederal Property? Then would that make it illegal for me to even have my firearm locked up in my car while at work?

At the bottom of that link it states the following:

h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Now there are no signs displayed saying this is a Federal Facility nor any "No Gun Allowed" signs either so does that mean it's ok since nothing is posted? At the very end it says "unless such person had actual notice of subsection". What does that mean? Does it mean that the fact that I posted this link, that I have actual notice? No one at work has told me and I don't want to ask either as I've just started the job a few weeks ago.

I don't like having to be disarmed just because I have to go to work. The facility is in VA, so I can have a firearm normally. I also have a CHP, but I don't think that helps in this matter much. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Who has control of the federal property you’re working on. GSA, DOD, Post Office or Federal Court?? Each have their own rules, regulations and laws. Title 18 Ch. 44 Sec. 930 may or may not apply.

eyesopened

imported post

SFDoc wrote:
Who has control of the federal property you’re working on. GSA, DOD, Post Office or Federal Court?? Each have their own rules, regulations and laws. Title 18 Ch. 44 Sec. 930 may or may not apply.
That I'm not sure. The armedguards are contractors, but the man in charge is US Capitol Police. It is not a post office or court building, the location is an alternate datacenter for a Gov't Body. I'm not trying to be cool or coy by not identifying the location or Gov't Body. It's a non disclosed site and I've been told to never give out it's address so I'm playing it safe.

SFDoc

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
SFDoc wrote:
That I'm not sure. The armedguards are contractors, but the man in charge is US Capitol Police. It is not a post office or court building, the location is an alternate datacenter for a Gov't Body. I'm not trying to be cool or coy by not identifying the location or Gov't Body. It's a non disclosed site and I've been told to never give out it's address so I'm playing it safe.

Don’t blame you, and understand, I sometimes work in a similar situation. If Capital police are the primary LE, I would advise not taking it on the property, even if you have it disabled and locked up. Some of them are not very 2-A friendly (except for themselves) or very understanding about personal defense. There are a few that have a don’t ask, don’t tell view, but they are far and few between. Many of the contract guards/officers know little to nothing of the laws that apply to lawful carry and will go with whatever they are told by C.P. or their supervisors. If found could cost you more than your job. Sorry can’t help you more - Good luck.

dude

imported post

Just make sure you go to the supply room and get yourself a nice pair of scissors and a big, heavy 3-hole puncher. Then, when it comes time for the holiday office lunch (or whatever), bring in a 'kitchen' knife to cut the cake....

What is a little less clear to me is whether or not a judge would find fault with pepper spray or an expandable baton.