Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Know What's Going On With Danbus?

Post imported post

I haven't seen him post nor heard anything about him recently.

Post imported post

Thats a really good question! I'ma check his myspace out,and see whatsup

State Researcher

Post imported post

Maybe he's in the slammer again...:P

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Maybe he's in the slammer again..
    I wasn't going to say it!

BMILIB
    :what:

Post imported post

He posted today at 11:33 am on the December Tidewater Dining Out thread.

Post imported post

When was his last/is his next court date? Anyone remember? The thread about his incidents are so long as to be un-navigable

Post imported post

Come on ama-gi...put a little legwork into it....

Page #1, 3/4 of the way down..... I had a hearing date on 10/29/07. My trial is on 12/28/07.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/5701-1.html

Did you really even look

Post imported post

Yes, I have and no he isn't in the slammer.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Thanks for your concern!

I'm doing okay. I'm just frustrated that I have to wait so long just to "prove" my innocence. Furthermore, had I not made bail, I would have missed Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am very thankful for that.

I am not going to go with a public defender. After the judge explained that if I were to be found "guilty", I would have to pay the attorney fees. I don't want to even risk my freedom/wallet because someone else defended me.

This case will be a walk in the park for me after all the case law I have reviewed. The last trial I didn't even get to speak my side before the judge found me not guilty.

Post imported post

danbus wrote:
    Thanks for your concern!

I'm doing okay. I'm just frustrated that I have to wait so long just to "prove" my innocence. Furthermore, had I not made bail, I would have missed Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am very thankful for that.

I am not going to go with a public defender. After the judge explained that if I were to be found "guilty", I would have to pay the attorney fees. I don't want to even risk my freedom/wallet because someone else defended me.

This case will be a walk in the park for me after all the case law I have reviewed. The last trial I didn't even get to speak my side before the judge found me not guilty.
    So you are going to defend yourself?

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    danbus wrote:
    Thanks for your concern!

So you are going to defend yourself?
    Yes, I am. And I don't see why not, I don't rely on the police to protect me, why would I rely on a public defender to defend me?

Post imported post

Even if you do know more applicable law than the principals, there are formal procedural things you may not be aware of - filing deadlines, forms of motions, rules of court, etc.- that don't necessarily appear in the statutes and case law. Lawyers will (should) know these things. They are not useless. They are expensive, yes, but what is one's liberty and good name worth? They don't generally fully come back once lost. That and the "personal touch" like having gone to law school with the DA are not things that a defendant can bring to bear on a case.

I do understand your frustration. The waiting is infuriating, and it is a natural tendency to want to tear through the law library and arm yourself with the law in the interests of justice. But being able to quote chapter and verse of the state penal code will not win the day. You may need expert witnesses - do you know any DNA experts? Forensic pathologists? Can you file a timely motion to get the state to pay for an expert witness on your behalf? Your case(s) is/are probably not this complicated, but then Miranda didn't start out as a Federal case either. Call a lawyer and at least go through a consultation. JMO.

-ljp

Post imported post

Danbus -

You might get a gun friendly lawyer to defend you for free, but that's a long shot. They do cases "pro-bono" every once in a while (it's a tax write off for them). Try calling around or calling the Va. Lawyer referral program (costs for a referral though).

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    Even if you do know more applicable law than the principals, there are formal procedural things you may not be aware of - filing deadlines, forms of motions, rules of court, etc.- that don't necessarily appear in the statutes and case law. Lawyers will (should) know these things. They are not useless. They are expensive, yes, but what is one's liberty and good name worth? They don't generally fully come back once lost. That and the "personal touch" like having gone to law school with the DA are not things that a defendant can bring to bear on a case.

I do understand your frustration. The waiting is infuriating, and it is a natural tendency to want to tear through the law library and arm yourself with the law in the interests of justice. But being able to quote chapter and verse of the state penal code will not win the day. You may need expert witnesses - do you know any DNA experts? Forensic pathologists? Can you file a timely motion to get the state to pay for an expert witness on your behalf? Your case(s) is/are probably not this complicated, but then Miranda didn't start out as a Federal case either. Call a lawyer and at least go through a consultation. JMO.

-ljp
    I've been to court enough times to know what I need for my case. In all fairness, I'm not on trial for murder, just a simple misdemeanor.

And with this particular case, I have what I need to prove my innocence. VA has enough precedences that follow my particulars of my case.

Some have said I would need help with my case in Hampton. That was not the case. Even those who have told me that I would end up in jail without a lawyer have yet to say anything positive about the outcome. It truly lets me know what minds are behind the internet.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

danbus wrote:
    Yes, I am. And I don't see why not, I don't rely on the police to protect me, why would I rely on a public defender to defend me?
    Good man! My best wishes.

I'm sure that there is a attorney-lurker here amongst all the Anony Mouses that will step forward to advise pro bono. And some jurisdictions allow considerable latitude to a per se defense.

Note to the claque-clique; per se means 'by itself' in this context and means little without its predicate-context.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    I'm sure that there is a attorney-lurker here amongst all the Anony Mouses that will step forward to advise pro bono. And some jurisdictions allow considerable latitude to a per se defense.
    I don't know if you were referring to me or not, but I am not a lawyer, just worked for a few

Please don't lump me in with those people...:what:

Post imported post

Is 28 December the next court date?

Are there others?

Post imported post

do a search and you will find lots of reading to help answer your question.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

A physician who tries to diagnose his own illness is more likely to make a mistake out of wishful thinking, or out of fear, than another physician would be.
    And.
    A lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client.

Argumentum ad Verecundiam

Post imported post

danbus wrote:

Dan, I hope you will use the "Buddy System" -- just as you wouldn't dive alone, you should not go into court alone.

At least take someone you know and trust with you to court.

Post imported post

A man who represents his self in court has a fool for a client.....

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

No offense, Danbus, but what about all the cases where the trial court mademistakes that were overturned on appeal?

Or more precisely, the appeals based on lower court mistakes where the appellate court refused to consider the point appealled because the appellant failed to raise the objection in the lower court?

I'm not a lawyer. As I understand it, if the lower court makes a mistake--for whatever reason, perhaps even prejudice against guns--and you don't knowwhat mistake has been made, and thus fail to raise the appropriate objection during the lower court proceedings,you lose the opportunity to appeal on that point.

I'd go with the public defender, and spend a lot of time making sure he understands and is going to execute the strategy.Bug him to death about process and procedural errors the court can make and howhe would handle it. You can always ask for a postponement and a different public defender if the one you get seems disinterested, unenergetic, etc.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen, you're right about the cases being overturned on other grounds, but it should be stated in the case WHY the court is ruling the way it is. If Dan reads the cases carefully, I think he'll be ok.

Also, public defender rarely will "execute" any strategy. They've got a case load that gives them about 15 minutes TOPS per client and all they do is stand there and look nice. Rarely do they spend time on their "clients."

I think a better way to go would be for him to share the cases he has with you and others on this board with experience (not out in the open of course, but through PM). I think that would be more helpful

To all the naysayers, your nay saying isn't helping anything. I think Dan's got a shot as long as he does his homework, and it seems that he has.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    A man who says "his self" doesn't know grammar.

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    A man who says "his self" doesn't know grammar.
    Nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast