• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disarm to collect state unemployment??

expvideo

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Also, there is no requirement to attend any workshops at any office. To avoid going to the offices, you must make three employer contacts per week and document that. Your claim can be filed online. No need to actually enter an office or even talk to someone.

The below information comes directly from the states worksource website:

[line]

http://fortress.wa.gov/esd/portal/unemployment/benefits/webpbr.htm

To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be able to work, available for work, and actively seeking work each week that you file a weekly claim for benefits. The following requirements must be met each week you file a weekly claim or you may lose your benefits for the week:

• You must make at least three employer contacts each week, OR
  • Participate in three approved in-person job search activities at your WorkSource Office or local employment center, OR
  • Have a combination of employer contacts and in-person activities for a total of three.

Approved in-person job search activities at the WorkSource Office or local employment center include workshops on topics such as job finding tips, interviewing skills, or how to use the Internet to find a job. Other activities that qualify may be offered by your local office.
You have to attend an initiation workshop, regardless. they count it as one of your 3 contacts per week.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

"a self-employed person (whether a sole proprietor or a corp officer) in WA is generally considered exempt for purposes of Employment Security."

Fair enough. When I was researching setting up a business, it appeared I would have to pay my own unemployment insurance, but it was a bit ambiguous on whether it was actually required, and I haven't set it upt yet.

"Also, there is no requirement to attend any workshops at any office. To avoid going to the offices, you must make three employer contacts per week and document that. Your claim can be filed online. No need to actually enter an office or even talk to someone. "

This is incorrect as of the last (and only) time I filed for UI. I had to attend an orientation briefing. Yes, I was able to file the claim online, but I was required to attend at least one meeting in person. I was on UI for a bit longer than I might have wished, and actually had to attend a second meeting to audit my job search logs.

There are other voluntary meetings and briefings, such as resume training, interview skills training, etc which will also count as a job search activity if you choose to limit yourself to the 3 job search activities per week. Not a day went by that I didn't have at least one job search contact, as most of my job search activities were online, I would often fill out 10 or more applications per day.

Anyway, there is absolutely nothing wrong with filing for UI benefits. We are compelled to pay intoit by force of law, as I have since I was 15 years old. I have used it exactly once in my life, but would not hesitate to do so again, any more than I would hesitate to file a claim for insurance were I to have an accident- I have been paying the premiums after all.

Would I prefer that it was a voluntary system? Absolutely. Would I put up with people who failed to contribute and then cried about it? Absolutely not.