• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I will NEVER BUY Double Tap Ammo AGAIN!!

medicff0879

imported post

Well I ordered my first batch of ammo from these guys about a month ago, things went off without a hitch, the ammo was great, everything was splendid.

I thought things would go the same this time, I WAS WRONG!!

I ordered my replacement ammo about 2 weeks ago on Thursday 11/22 and expected about a two day arrival, maybe three at most as did the first order. Well, the package shipped the next day on Friday 11/23 and I was expecting an arrival around Tuesday or Wed. at the latest of LAST WEEK!!

Well here it is the following Thursday with no ammo yet. I talked to the UPS guy and he said he had not delievered anything to my apt. that he can remember, and asked if I had the tracking number, of course I dont, they dont include that in the "it shipped" email!! After the 5th time of trying to contact this guy I have had NO RESPONSE from either of the two emails or three phone call voice messages I have left stating my concern as to why the package never arrived.

After this post I will make it the 6th time trying to contact this thief as to where my package is and
I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM DOUBLE TAP AGAIN!! Following that I will start calling the bank and BBB to see if this guy is a member!! Holiday's be (Edited For Language) if they are closed, or out of town they need to state that on their message (since they never answer the phone) and quit stating their hours as 10-6 Monday through Saturday!!

compmanio365

imported post

If you ordered it through the bank, go to the bank and initiate a fraud complaint; most banks will give you your money back on condition of a sworn statement that you never got the merchandise purchased and the merchant is uncooperative. Same with if you bought it on Visa/MasterCard, etc. Call them up and initiate a fraud dispute, dispute the transaction, and get a chargeback to your account.

imperialism2024

imported post

There was a forum I was once part of where the naming and shaming of businesses was banned. The logic was that one customer with a bad experience could sully the reputation of the business to a large number of people without the business's being able to defend itself. Maybe would be a good rule on here...

You said that the package already shipped. So either the company that sent the package lied, or it's a problem on the shipping company's end. If your contacts to the company were of the tone of this e-mail, I'm not surprised there hasn't been a response. Anyhow, do you even know which shipping company might have been used? Companies may switch between courier services from shipment to shipment. I also wouldn't discount the holiday rush for delaying a low-priority package...

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

As a guy who sells this type of product all day long, I have a few questions for you.

Are you sure it shipped?
How much control do you think a seller has on an item once it has left their building?
Are you aware that UPS, etc. misplace, damage and loose packages and there is nothing the seller can do about it?
Are you sure the correct address was on the package?
We ship ammo with Adult Signature Required. Did Double Tap do that and was someone there to sign for it?

Finally, were your communications with Double Tap as filled with anger as your post?

They provided great service before so something must have gone wrong this time, ie. illness, injury, death, building burned down, etc. Should they have gotten back to you? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No.

LoveMyCountry

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

medicff0879 wrote:
After this post I will make it the 6th time trying to contact this thief as to where my package is and
I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM DOUBLE TAP AGAIN!! Following that I will start calling the bank and BBB to see if this guy is a member!! Holiday's be (Edited For Language) if they are closed, or out of town they need to state that on their message (since they never answer the phone) and quit stating their hours as 10-6 Monday through Saturday!!

I rather doubt Double Tap is a "thief."

Maybe the shipment got lost.

Of course, they should answer your inquiries promptly. So, that's cause for concern. The key is that tracking #.

medicff0879

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
There was a forum I was once part of where the naming and shaming of businesses was banned. The logic was that one customer with a bad experience could sully the reputation of the business to a large number of people without the business's being able to defend itself. Maybe would be a good rule on here...

You said that the package already shipped. So either the company that sent the package lied, or it's a problem on the shipping company's end. If your contacts to the company were of the tone of this e-mail, I'm not surprised there hasn't been a response. Anyhow, do you even know which shipping company might have been used? Companies may switch between courier services from shipment to shipment. I also wouldn't discount the holiday rush for delaying a low-priority package...

Why should it be banned? Should a company not be shamed if it doesnt reply to customers request and the such? Unfortunately, I believe there were a site in which another customer had the same problem. Seems this company is reliable sometimes, and not others.

I think there is nothing wrong with shaming ANY company and forewarning any potential customers of the experiences in any form or fashion. If I typed in the search something about "Double Tap Ammo" I would love to have both positive and negative aspects come up, not just some "happy go lucky" stuff because a member or two thinks its mean to "bad mouth" a company that cant defend itself. Apparently this guy wouldnt have time to defend himself anyways, ashe cant even answer the phone or return customers emails or voice messages.

The last time my package was delievered without signature and I found it awaiting outside just three days after ordering. I spoke to the UPS delievery guy about three days ago that stated he had not delievered anything to my apt. (I know he delievers a lot of packages, but its the same guy each time) It clearly states on my "Order Processed" sheet that it was shipped via UPS ground, the shipping sheet merely stated it was "shipped" without any tracking number or by which courier service.

medicff0879

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
As a guy who sells this type of product all day long, I have a few questions for you.

Are you sure it shipped?
How much control do you think a seller has on an item once it has left their building?
Are you aware that UPS, etc. misplace, damage and loose packages and there is nothing the seller can do about it?
Are you sure the correct address was on the package?
We ship ammo with Adult Signature Required. Did Double Tap do that and was someone there to sign for it?

Finally, were your communications with Double Tap as filled with anger as your post?

They provided great service before so something must have gone wrong this time, ie. illness, injury, death, building burned down, etc. Should they have gotten back to you? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No.

LoveMyCountry
To answer a few concerns, my first 5 attempts to contact this company were in normal context and tone. It wasnt until the last 3 that I started expressing a smigieon of anger in the context. Either way, if a customer contacts angry or not, there should be a response to ANY calls, emails, voice mails, or by air pigieon letters sent, period.

imperialism2024

imported post

medicff0879 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Why should it be banned? Should a company not be shamed if it doesnt reply to customers request and the such? Unfortunately, I believe there were a site in which another customer had the same problem. Seems this company is reliable sometimes, and not others.

I think there is nothing wrong with shaming ANY company and forewarning any potential customers of the experiences in any form or fashion. If I typed in the search something about "Double Tap Ammo" I would love to have both positive and negative aspects come up, not just some "happy go lucky" stuff because a member or two thinks its mean to "bad mouth" a company that cant defend itself. Apparently this guy wouldnt have time to defend himself anyways, ashe cant even answer the phone or return customers emails or voice messages.

The last time my package was delievered without signature and I found it awaiting outside just three days after ordering. I spoke to the UPS delievery guy about three days ago that stated he had not delievered anything to my apt. (I know he delievers a lot of packages, but its the same guy each time) It clearly states on my "Order Processed" sheet that it was shipped via UPS ground, the shipping sheet merely stated it was "shipped" without any tracking number or by which courier service.
So, you're basically claiming that Double Tap is guilty of fraud? They lied to you regarding having shipped your product when they hadn't? Otherwise, it's in the hands of the courier.

As for naming and shaming, I'll copy the rationale from another board:

I'm often asked why the 'no naming and shaming' rule exists on PistonHeads.com.

Why can't 'bad dealers' be outed etc?

Well, there are a number of reasons. Firstly it's simply a matter of fairness. All too often I've heard a 'horror' story about a dealer only to later talk to the dealer involved and find that there are considerably different views on what actually took place.

There are bad customers out there as well as bad dealers. Some people expect too much, distort the facts in their favour, etc. etc.

Who are we to act as judge and jury when someone posts something bad about a business? We can't verify the 'facts' as presented. If the dealer doesn't even know that the message has been posted then it's very unfair on their business to be slated in public with no opportunity to respond.

Even if the dealer or company does frequent this site, is it right that a dispute should be argued out in public? That's no way to resolve matters sensibly.

PistonHeads then becomes involved as a 'publisher' of what may be libelous, making matters even more complex. If we're asked to remove comments by a company and we consider them potentially libelous then we will take them off the site. That then leaves you open to litigation, not us.

Disputes are best dealt with in the real world through normal channels. Doing it online merely opens a can of worms for the person posting the message, for PistonHeads and for the business being discussed.

We've no desire to become embroiled in disputes and start providing transcripts of threads to solicitors (yes, it has happened).

Many people do not realise that they are opening themselves up to accusations of libel too. "But what I posted was true" is a frequent retort. That's as may be, but all too often emotions creeps into messages and people end up stepping over the line, putting themselves in a position where they could invite a whole heap of trouble.

So, the answer is that we ask people not to indulge in 'name and shame' discussions. It's the simplest solution found.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=427599

medicff0879

imported post

I finally got an email today and ironically was calling him at the same time and actually got an answer!! Needless to say it is said that UPS supposedly lost the package in Kansas and it never made it to Texas. Had I not called, wrote, complained, no one would have never known anything is what he said.

Needless to say, now the 45 185gr. are all of a sudden on back order for 1-2weeks and I have to wait that much longer to get those. He is going to ship the 135gr 40's and wait until the 45's come in and ship those separately. Makes me wonder if they were ever shipped in the first place, since coincedentally they are now all of a sudden on backorder for 2 weeks or so?

Either way, this has really left a bad taste and lack of trust in further orders. I believe the best bet is to find someone elsewhere.

Any recommendations out there??

imperialism2024

imported post

medicff0879 wrote:
I finally got an email today and ironically was calling him at the same time and actually got an answer!! Needless to say it is said that UPS supposedly lost the package in Kansas and it never made it to Texas. Had I not called, wrote, complained, no one would have never known anything is what he said.

Needless to say, now the 45 185gr. are all of a sudden on back order for 1-2weeks and I have to wait that much longer to get those. He is going to ship the 135gr 40's and wait until the 45's come in and ship those separately. Makes me wonder if they were ever shipped in the first place, since coincedentally they are now all of a sudden on backorder for 2 weeks or so?

Either way, this has really left a bad taste and lack of trust in further orders. I believe the best bet is to find someone elsewhere.

I like the attempted justification of how it must be the fault of the company that sold the ammo. A nice touch.

I've never personally had UPS lose a package, but working for USPS, I can attest to the fact that packages do indeed get lost. I don't doubt one bit that an item would be backordered less than three weeks before Christmas. Let's face it, the only thing the company did wrong was not reply to e-mails three weeks before Christmas.

And I believe this thread is a very good example of why naming and shaming is bad. UPS screwed up, and Double Tap gets demonized.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
medicff0879 wrote:

I like the attempted justification of how it must be the fault of the company that sold the ammo. A nice touch.

I've never personally had UPS lose a package, but working for USPS, I can attest to the fact that packages do indeed get lost. I don't doubt one bit that an item would be backordered less than three weeks before Christmas. Let's face it, the only thing the company did wrong was not reply to e-mails three weeks before Christmas.

And I believe this thread is a very good example of why naming and shaming is bad. UPS screwed up, and Double Tap gets demonized.
It could ver well be UPS, a year ago I was getting rid of a lot of my stuff on ebay, and also wholesaled electronics out of my dorm room. (made good money)

I shipped 4 packages through USPS, to 4 different people none made it to the locations they were addressed to... I lost 500 bucks.

If it was the shipping company the guy is probably as unhappy as you are. If you had a great experience the first time, and now a bad one, it could be UPS... nobody wants to drive customers away by dragging their feet.

UPS usually does give some type of insurance, I would have asked the seller for a discount on my next order, or something back on this one.

medicff0879

imported post

The point was, they supposedly werent backordered when I placed the order Nov. 22. Now all of a sudden they are backordered on the pieces from Speer. So this company doesnt keep enough stock to replace one box of 50rds that was placed 3 weeks ago?

I still dont know where the blame lies, but between a lack of communication and the fact that only after the 8th attempt to contact them,the accuse was given that UPS lost it. I never recieved a tracking number in order to know where my package was and still believe that the company deserves a bit of "demonization" if thats the way it is labeled.

I have never had a problem with UPS losing/damaging/or slipping a package into another realm as long as I have had items shipped in the past. Sounds like someone was trying to cover up a backorder by delaying the shipping in order to save cost. Sounds like they might have been gambling on the fact that I just wouldnt question that the package supposedly shipped and didnt arrive for 4 weeks.

Thats just my theory, I could be wrong, but it will probably be construed as an attack because its all my fault for putting this on a forum for others that may consider ordering from Double Tap. God forbid they hear something negative.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

medicff0879 wrote:
The point was, they supposedly werent backordered when I placed the order Nov. 22. Now all of a sudden they are backordered on the pieces from Speer. So this company doesnt keep enough stock to replace one box of 50rds that was placed 3 weeks ago?

I still dont know where the blame lies, but between a lack of communication and the fact that only after the 8th attempt to contact them,the accuse was given that UPS lost it. I never recieved a tracking number in order to know where my package was and still believe that the company deserves a bit of "demonization" if thats the way it is labeled.

I have never had a problem with UPS losing/damaging/or slipping a package into another realm as long as I have had items shipped in the past. Sounds like someone was trying to cover up a backorder by delaying the shipping in order to save cost. Sounds like they might have been gambling on the fact that I just wouldnt question that the package supposedly shipped and didnt arrive for 4 weeks.

Thats just my theory, I could be wrong, but it will probably be construed as an attack because its all my fault for putting this on a forum for others that may consider ordering from Double Tap. God forbid they hear something negative.
I don't think it is an "attack" I mean, I know you are angry, and I would feel the same way if they couldn't replace a lost order that I made three weeks ago!

However, in three weeks there could have been quite a few orders, and possibly ran out. It isn't unheard of.

I would urge you to contact the company, and tell them that would like someone to render this situation in form of a future discount or a partial rebate on this order (at least your shipping costs) in order to reinstill your faith in the company. If they know they are going to lose a customer and can fix it in form of a discount, usually companies will work with you to keep your business.

If you try that, and it doesn't work, go ahead and be mad, it just doesn't sound like you have exhausted all your avenues yet.

And if you were that disgusted with the company, why didn't you just ask for your money back and go elsewhere? I mean could surely go out and purchase .45 ammo in less than the time it will take the backorder to arrive...

medicff0879

imported post

openryan wrote:
medicff0879 wrote:

I don't think it is an "attack" I mean, I know you are angry, and I would feel the same way if they couldn't replace a lost order that I made three weeks ago!

However, in three weeks there could have been quite a few orders, and possibly ran out. It isn't unheard of.

I would urge you to contact the company, and tell them that would like someone to render this situation in form of a future discount or a partial rebate on this order (at least your shipping costs) in order to reinstill your faith in the company. If they know they are going to lose a customer and can fix it in form of a discount, usually companies will work with you to keep your business.

If you try that, and it doesn't work, go ahead and be mad, it just doesn't sound like you have exhausted all your avenues yet.

And if you were that disgusted with the company, why didn't you just ask for your money back and go elsewhere? I mean could surely go out and purchase .45 ammo in less than the time it will take the backorder to arrive...

That is very true, when I spoke to him on the phone he did not offer anything in the form of a rebate, discount, etc.. The only thing he offered to do was to ship the 40 rounds and then ship the 45 rounds when they get some more made. This means Im sure I will have to keep on top of things to make sure I do indeed get my 45 rounds.

On a positive note, I believe their product is exceptional. It shoots well, is realiable, and very affordable. That is the only reason I will more than likely await my 45 rounds and think very long and hard as to why I should order from him again.

I think a one man show should take exceptional care of customer relations and not forget what he is competing against. All in all, I dont feel bad for posting any of this negative experience as I feel its important for people to see both sides and not just hear the good side of everything.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

medicff0879 wrote:
openryan wrote:
medicff0879 wrote:

That is very true, when I spoke to him on the phone he did not offer anything in the form of a rebate, discount, etc.. The only thing he offered to do was to ship the 40 rounds and then ship the 45 rounds when they get some more made. This means Im sure I will have to keep on top of things to make sure I do indeed get my 45 rounds.

On a positive note, I believe their product is exceptional. It shoots well, is realiable, and very affordable. That is the only reason I will more than likely await my 45 rounds and think very long and hard as to why I should order from him again.

I think a one man show should take exceptional care of customer relations and not forget what he is competing against. All in all, I dont feel bad for posting any of this negative experience as I feel its important for people to see both sides and not just hear the good side of everything.
Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and you're right.

Yeah, usually people will not offer much to you, usually I accept what they offer, and if I think they need to do more, I will tell them that I will accept it this time, but if they want to keep my business they need to do a little better...

PavePusher

imported post

medicff0879 wrote:
openryan wrote:
medicff0879 wrote:

A one man show, a few weeks before Christmas? Seems very likely to me that he could sell out of something in a little over two weeks. And it was UPS that lost the package, so you want to vent on the "one man show"? Maybe, just maybe (hey, I love to play Devils' Advocate...), real life (his life) crept into the equation. Maybe he's pinched at the moment for some personal reasons that aren't any of your business. I'd give him another try before you went elsewhere.

I think negative experiences should be told here, but I think you might have, unh, "jumped the gun" on this one...

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Regardless of who's at fault that the parcel didn't arrive, this is definitely a customer service issue. Most companies offer up the tracking code for exactly this reason: it allows the customer to self-help, rather than requiring the business to do so.

I would say that waiting any more than 2-3 business days for a response is excessive. Most companies will at least get back to you within 1 business day, assuming you have to leave a message in the first place.

As far as discounts, etc to remedy your unhapiness. I would try telling him what you want. A good manager will ask the customer, "what can I do to make this right?" At the very least there should have been an offer for some sort of compensation for the extreme delays.

If you do choose to continue doing business with this company, you should talk to the manager/owner and recommend that they give a tracking number in all order confirmations. They also need to find a way to handle their complaints in a timely fashion.

Based on what I've read here, I wouldn't order from Double Tap. Even if it was UPS's fault; the company is choosing to do business via mail order. The company assumes the risks as such, and must remedy problems caused by the shipping company.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I can personally attest that Mike McNett (owner/load developer/phone answerer/shipper/machine operator/go-fer of Doubletap Ammo) is a stand-up guy. He has never run his business in a manner that is shady or dishonest in the least bit. I've been in contact with Mike off and on since BEFORE it was "cool" to buy Doubletap ammo, and he is a great guy. More than willing to help solve any problem that would ever arise.

Once he ships something, he is placing his trust in the shipping company to deliver his product to his customer. If the shipping company drops the ball, there's no way for him to know about it. It's not like UPS will call him up and say they lost it.

Your first order happened the way Mike usually does things, (to your door in 2-3 days) but unfortunately your last order had a glitch in the process. That doesn't mean he's dishonest or a criminal. Has everything you've ever done in a business setting always gone w/out a hitch? Even while it was OUTSIDE of your circle of effective influence?

So he's reshipped your order w/what he had on hand (again, on his dime), and will be shipping the rest of it when he gets a chance to run another batch of your particular load (paying for shipping a second time on his dime). Sounds to me like he's doing everything he can in trying to make it right.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I can personally attest that Mike McNett (owner/load developer/phone answerer/shipper/machine operator/go-fer of Doubletap Ammo) is a stand-up guy. He has never run his business in a manner that is shady or dishonest in the least bit. I've been in contact with Mike off and on since BEFORE it was "cool" to buy Doubletap ammo, and he is a great guy. More than willing to help solve any problem that would ever arise.

Once he ships something, he is placing his trust in the shipping company to deliver his product to his customer. If the shipping company drops the ball, there's no way for him to know about it. It's not like UPS will call him up and say they lost it.

Your first order happened the way Mike usually does things, (to your door in 2-3 days) but unfortunately your last order had a glitch in the process. That doesn't mean he's dishonest or a criminal. Has everything you've ever done in a business setting always gone w/out a hitch? Even while it was OUTSIDE of your circle of effective influence?

So he's reshipped your order w/what he had on hand (again, on his dime), and will be shipping the rest of it when he gets a chance to run another batch of your particular load (paying for shipping a second time on his dime). Sounds to me like he's doing everything he can in trying to make it right.
He is shipping the two parts of the order separately... UPS should have gave back the money for the package they lost, as well as the value of the contents inside, at least up to 100 dollars, this is standard insurance that comes with each package delivery...

It does sound like he is trying to make it right, I agree with you on that. But I think he should offer a discount on a future order, or take a percentage off of this order for him.

I know it is hard to run a one man show, I have my own business I run in addition to my regular employment, I have done so for about 2 years now, and one thing that you find out very quickly is that you cannot please everyone. Although I did try my best to make it right when people were not happy.

There is also a service you can pay for through UPS where they send the tracking number to your clients, he might want to check that out...

All in all he is making an effort, and if this was the first order and it happened I would be leary, however he did have a great first experience. I say talk to the guy, see if you can recoup some of your troubles in form of a discount, and give him another try.