Thread: Bill would OK cameras in Supreme Court. Just in time for 'Heller', 'Reality TV' comes to SCOTUS

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI...tuscameras.xml

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 (UPI) -- A divided U.S. Senate committee approved a measure that would allow public U.S. Supreme Court proceedings to be televised despite jurists' misgivings.
    A separate measure that would allow TV coverage at federal trial and appellate court proceedings was withdrawn after opposition from both Democrats and Republicans, CNN said.
    Several justices reportedly expressed opposition to television coverage.
    The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the bill that would allow cameras in the Supreme Court courtroom on an 11-7 vote. The measure now goes to the full Senate.
    Under provisions of the bill, the Supreme Court must allow television coverage of open sessions unless justices decide by majority vote that coverage of a particular case would violate a party's legal rights.
    "With a governmental process you should err on the side of openness," said one sponsor, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.
    Criticizing the measure, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said, "The Supreme Court doesn't tell us how to run our business, and we shouldn't tell them how to run their business."
    Feinstein cited objections from several justices, including Anthony Kennedy's remarks that cameras would provide "an insidious temptation for justices to get a sound bite on the evening news."

Post imported post

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said, "The Supreme Court doesn't tell us how to run our business, and we shouldn't tell them how to run their business."
    Actually, they do.

Post imported post

I'll admit that I don't really know where I stand on this. There do seem to be good arguments for both sides.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

'This' being open government or television? Television has brought nothing good to the American scene, including ignorance of checks-and-balances.

The conspiracy of ignorance (Rather and Cutie Couric) masquerades as common sense.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    'This' being open government or television? Television has brought nothing good to the American scene, including ignorance of checks-and-balances.

The conspiracy of ignorance (Rather and Cutie Couric) masquerades as common sense.
    Televising court proceedings.

Post imported post

Sorry guys, this will never happen. The current court is opposed and separation of powers means that Congress is just jerking off. If you really want to waste time attend a Ron Paul event.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

They'd do better televising regular classeson constitutional rights.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    They'd do better televising regular classeson constitutional rights.
    I wonder if it would be worth it to do such a thing? Too few people watch local cable...but we could do a webcast, and there's always low-power FM radio.