• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Night Sights, Yes or No

glocknroll

imported post

I bought a Glock 32 with factory night sights. I liked them so much I replaced the the sights on my G17 with Tru Glo Tritium/fiber optic (TFO) night sights. I will never buy another pistol without night sights if they are available on the particular model I want.

expvideo

imported post

I miss my old night sights. They were great.

The only arguement I've ever heard against night sights was a firearms instructor who said that if you can't see your sights, you can't verify your target and you shouldn't be shooting anyway. He was more pointing out how useful a surefire light was, and I agree with that, but I still disagree. Night sights are wonderful. If you can get them for your gun, do. I need to get a set for my sig.

Legba

imported post

I sympathize with your instructor's sentiments. "Know your target and what is beyond it" always applies. If it's so dark that you can't work your sights otherwise, then you'd better be intimately familiar with your surroundings before firing. My usual carry piece does have night sights (old ones that are officially "expired" and in need of recharging,but which still put out a dim glow), but I've never really used them. They do help me find my gun when I leave itby the bed at night, but that's about it. If a gun comes with them, fine, but Iwouldn'tbe put to the extra expense over getting them installed later, personally.

-ljp

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

They're awesome. I had them installed on my SW99 about a month after I got it. The difference was amazing. They even help you see during the day, especially in situations where you're going from low light to sunlight, or vice versa. Not only that, but they help you see your own gun in the dark (i.e. on the nightstand).

The only draw-back I can see is that technically they would violate light discipline in a tactical situation. This wouldn't concern me personally, as I doubt I'll ever be in a situation where a tiny little green light is going to give away my position. But ya know some people are anal about that kind of stuff.

I would say having night sights on your gun is like having good tires on your car. The cheap ones will get you from point A to point B, but the good ones ride better and keep you on the road when it counts.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm a big believer in night sights. I took a course with low light training and it definitely makes a difference with accuracy and reaction time.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

you really think so? I've fallen for gimmicks before,so I know how it feels. I could honestly see a difference when I installed mine.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I became an instant believer the night I was the last one on the indoor shooting range30 minutes before closing. I turned off all the lights I could, leaving some lighting back of the firing line that didn't give much illumination down range. Just enough to be able to tell where the target was.

"Hey! Where's my sights?"

You know the sight paint came out real fast that night when I got home.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Yes, I have them on ALL of my "serious use" handguns, even the ones that also have lasers. Kimber Tactical 5" w/meps (& CTC), 1st Gen G17 w/meps (& CTC), Kahr K9 w/meps, and Kahr PM9 w/meps. I guess I like Meps.

FogRider

imported post

I don't think I would want NS on my handgun. I can't say I have experience with them on a handgun, but I did have a set of fiber optics on a muzzleloader. Conclusion? They work great. Low light conditions (early morning), I checked my sight picture, and I could see them just fine. Nothing else though, they were actually bright enough to block out the target. And what's the use of perfect sight alignment if you can't see what you want to align them to? That afternoon they came off, and I am much happier for it. I could be completely wrong here, but I keep thinking if it is dark enough to not get a good view of my sights, I won't be able to see a target past the range I am comfortable point-shooting from anyway. Now a light is a different story. If I could quit spending my shooting budget on ammo, I would pick up an XD Gear light for my .45.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Night sights are not a gimmick. Regular iron sights can't be seen in low light and no light situations. Night sights can be seen in those situations. The one disadvantage w/nightsights is in your ability to punch paper. 3-dot sight configurations were not designed to shoot paper, they were designed to shoot people. "But I can't see my target." True. You don't need to see the exactpoint of impact on an attacker's torso. Just the 3 dots aligning and the center one going to the center of the torso, then squeeze. God gave you two hands, one for your HANDgun (I didn't say HANDSgun), and one for a flashlight. Illuminate w/one, shoot w/the other.

"But I'm not going to shoot any further than point shooting distance anyways." Then grind the regular sights off your gun, with that logic, you won't ever need them. If it's low light and there are innocents around, but you're still safe to take the shot?? You're not using sights, given the opportunity? I'd like to hear that explaination to the DA on why you chose not to, if/when you missed.

The other advantage to nightsights is when I open my bedtable drawer in the pitch black of night, I can see EXACTLY where my handgun is because I have three little green eyes staring back at me. They're my "Handgun Locating Device."

ChinChin

imported post

I used to be against them. My thought was that if you have to fire your weapon at night in zero lux conditions, the muzzle flash is going to kill your eyesight until they adjust again. . .no reason to buy them.

At the recent Chantilly gunshow, I saw a Glock 23 with NS already installed and just $60 more than a 23 without, so I figured why not. Went to a buddy's land in the boonies and used his range to put the gun through its paces.

1) Your eyesight doesn't get as messed up firing in low-light as I had first thought, certainly not enough to not allow you to still see the NS.

2) Weapon now much easier to locate at night when you're reaching for it.

3) Night time target alignment so much easier.

I'm planning on getting a set for my 17 now and consider myself converted.

Marco

imported post

If I was to install NSI would have the front sight a different color than the rear.
Why?? Because, I want to know which one is the front.

I have owned guns with NS and didn't really see a improvement, I'll stick with my E2D.

edit:
I have a orange fiber optic front sight installed, works great in low light.
For those that live in Las Vegas, NV Desert Sportmman's IPSC & IDPA clubs have night shoots during the summer.

acrimsontide

imported post

expvideo wrote:
I miss my old night sights. They were great.

The only arguement I've ever heard against night sights was a firearms instructor who said that if you can't see your sights, you can't verify your target and you shouldn't be shooting anyway. He was more pointing out how useful a surefire light was, and I agree with that, but I still disagree. Night sights are wonderful. If you can get them for your gun, do. I need to get a set for my sig.

I really like night sights. Your instructor is correct that if you can't verify your target you shouldn't be shooting however in LOW light night sights definitely help in sight alignment. (not total darkness where you can't see the target) They would especially helpful in low light if your target were to be wearing dark colored clothes.

To me, it's similar to having a quality rifle scope when deerhunting early morning or late evening. At some point the light gets too bad to see what you are shooting at, but for those times when you can still see the target, the extra light from a qaulity scope gives you a much better sight picture.

dangerousman

imported post

Having done a significant amount of shooting in low light and total darkness, with and without night sights, in my opinion it is much better with them. Actual gunfights are likely to occur in low light. Of course, whether the sights are actually used in such a situation is another issue altogether. But then if you don't use the sights, the type is irrelevant.

I also like how night sights allow me to easily find and orient my hand tomy gun on the nightstand in total darkness.

Anyone who hasn't tried low light shooting owes it to themself to do it. It's a real test of skill, not to mention you might be surprised by the amount of muzzle flash your ammo of choice gives off in the dark which might convince you to change ammo.

Superlite27

imported post

2) Weapon now much easier to locate at night when you're reaching for it.

This is number one for me. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can see the sights glowing on my pistol. Not only can I instantly locate it, (I can find my pistol before I can even find the lightswitch) I can also tell what direction it is already oriented, and can usually grip it correctly upon first grasp.

Number two is sight picture. Many gunfight "experts" who have survived gunfights have been asked how they did so. Many have replied that they used their sights instead of point shooting. (I'm not getting into an aiming vs. point shooting discussion. I'm sure there are "experts" who attribute their survival to point shooting as well.)

I believe the little do-hickeys on top of the gun are used to help make the bullets go where you wantthem. Being able to actually see the do-hickeys has to be a bonus.

Deovin1

imported post

I use night sights on all my carry guns. I think in lots of circumstances I would never need them. However, since a large amount of defensive gun uses happen in low light I would rather have them if I need them. $80 bucks isn't that big of a deal when you consider that it may mean yours or someone elses life.