• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Night Sights, Yes or No

VAopencarry

imported post

glocknroll wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Night sights...........mostly gimmick.
Why?
They are not needed.

If it is so dark you can't see the end of your gun, you can't see the target, so what good will night sights do.

In a defensive situation you will be pointing and shooting not looking through your sights trying for that perfect sight picture. I say try it, pick out an object 20 or so feet away, close your eyes draw and point. JMO

FightingGlock19

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
In a defensive situation you will be pointing and shooting not looking through your sights trying for that perfect sight picture.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I will STILL be using my sights.

One of my Glock 19's has Meprolights on it and the other Glock 19 has XS Big Dot 24/7's. I prefer the Big Dots over the traditional 3-dot because the ease of getting a "correct" sight picture in a defencive situation.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Why?
They are not needed.

If it is so dark you can't see the end of your gun, you can't see the target, so what good will night sights do.

In a defensive situation you will be pointing and shooting not looking through your sights trying for that perfect sight picture. I say try it, pick out an object 20 or so feet away, close your eyes draw and point. JMO

The first statement is irrelevant, the second is false. Night sights are not designed to allow you to shoot in conditions where you can't even see the end of your gun. They're designed to make your sights equally visible in ALL light conditions. During the day, your sights look normal. As it begins to darken, your sights remain as visible as they were during the day. You can still see a person's face at dusk, but can you see normal sights as well? Probably not. What if you're assailant moves between you and a setting sun? Now not only is it darker outside but you've got the sun in your eyes...you'll still be able to see night sights.

The second statement is false because that is not an absolute. It's foolish to say that every defensive situation will only involve point shooting. If you truly believe that, they why don't you remove the sights from your carry weapon? It would reduce the possibility of snagging on clothes or your holster, and you're not gonna use 'em anyway.

Deovin1

imported post

One scenario I can see myself needing night sights in is home defense. Let's say that I went over to someone else's house and so I didn't have my shotgun or AR with me. If I don't have the time or ability to turn on a light and I need to take a shot, I can see night sights being necessary at this time.

I have shot in a lot of low light situations with night sights and without. I shoot about 90% better with night sights.I consider myself as being decent at point shooting just from practice but when it is dark and the target is more than 7 yards away I really struggle if I can't see my gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

expvideo wrote:
SNIP The only arguement I've ever heard against night sights was a firearms instructor who said that if you can't see your sights, you can't verify your target and you shouldn't be shooting anyway. He was more pointing out how useful a surefire light was, and I agree with that, but I still disagree. Night sights are wonderful. If you can get them for your gun, do. I need to get a set for my sig.

I guess he was overlooking the fact that the other guy's muzzle flashes followed by a "zeeeeep" sound near your head might be all the target identification one needs.

dangerousman

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:

Not true in all situations. My Glocks are black, as are many guns. I've personally experienced dark situations where the target was plainly more visible than the gun in my hand (without night sights.) An area is rarely evenly lit, usually there are areas of greater and lesser light. Plus your eyes may be at various levels of adjustment from near blindness to relatively good sensitivity to light.

One really needs to experience shooting in the dark or very low light situations to appreciate the differences.

I think we ought to know whether commenters have much experience shooting in bad lighting. A lot of people shoot only at stationary, well-lit targets in good weather. You're fortunate indeed if that's the target you have in real world combat.

You need to know what it's like when it's dark, the target moves and so do you, or it's raining, or the sun is in your eyes, you're on your back, etc...

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Want them very very badly on my XD .45 Compact. Don't trust myself to install them personally though, and don't really wanna send it off to Springfield. Can't find a gunsmith in the area, so I don't know when I'll get it done.

nickerj1

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
glocknroll wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Why?
They are not needed.

Night sights are sorta like handguns. It's better to have them and never really ever need them, than to need them and not have them.

VAopencarry

imported post

I think gun people over think. One can always dream up some situation/reason, real or imagined, that something could be useful for. How many defensive uses of firearms do you think someone had night sights(and used them) in a dark sitaution?. Like in their home in the middle of the night? How many drug gang bangers do you think use night sights?, they seem to kill a lot of people at night in the dark.

If you want night sights, knock yourself out, I don't care but they aren't for me. I also prefer iron sights on my long guns:p

acrimsontide

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Want them very very badly on my XD .45 Compact. Don't trust myself to install them personally though, and don't really wanna send it off to Springfield. Can't find a gunsmith in the area, so I don't know when I'll get it done.
Give Mark a call at Mark's Outdoors in Birmingham. He probably could recommend a gunsmith that could do the sights for you. It's worth a try.

Marco

imported post

I used to feel the same until my eyes got older.
XS sights formerly Known as ASHLEY Express sights, get their BIG DOT(NS available), or try Hi-Viz.

For day, low light and night shooting with aflashlight I have come to rely on Hi-Viz.
I only have their first sight installed and use factory rear.

I love the argument "the sights allow me to find the gun on the night stand"so you bought a $60-150 nite-lite;).
My Handgun is a secondary weapon for homeintruders:lol:and I always a carry a SF E2D .

to each his/her own we all have a preference for something

Deovin1

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I think gun people over think. One can always dream up some situation/reason, real or imagined, that something could be useful for. How many defensive uses of firearms do you think someone had night sights(and used them) in a dark sitaution?. Like in their home in the middle of the night? How many drug gang bangers do you think use night sights?, they seem to kill a lot of people at night in the dark.

How many of us are actually going to need our gun? Not a whole ton. I think most of us carry because we want to be prepared for the worst scenario. That includes low light. If I need night sights I want to have them. I have them for the same reason I carry, I want to be prepared for the worst case.

Gang bangers? Well, most of those guys don't even use a holster. Does that mean we don't need one? A lot of them use one hand to shoot, does that mean we should use one hand? I see what you are saying but when you are on the wrong side of the law things happen when you want them to happen (most of the time), not the other way around.

tarzan1888

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:

DreQo wrote:
you really think so? I've fallen for gimmicks before,so I know how it feels. I could honestly see a difference when I installed mine.

I practice point and shoot and do so very well. I don't see the need for night sights, but if you do.......then go for it.

Tarzan

dangerousman

imported post

LOL, yes gangbangers do kill alot of people, occasionally even the ones they intended to kill. If you fire enough bullets, someone is bound to get hit sooner or later.

Agent19 you use a night light? Isn't that cute!

Your flashlight cost more than my night sights. Not that I'm knocking a good flashlight, because they're useful and have their placetoo. But nightsights won't giveyour locationaway like a flashlight does.

Now gun mounted flashlights? Usually, not such a good idea-- the debate continues.

Marco

imported post

dangerousman:question:
in my homei'm not going to search for anyone, secure my kids,wife(armed) stays with them and i protect the entrance to that area, the dog searches:lol:
oh yeah, i don'thave a problem with nite sights but after using them for yrsi would rather spend the money elsewhere

expvideo

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

and in my homei'm not going to search for anyone, secure my kids,wife(armed) stays with them and i protect the entrance to that area, the dog searches:lol:
oh yeah, i don'thave a problem with nite sights but after using them for yrsi would rather spend the money elsewhere
Not my dog. She barks once quietlyto get my attention and then expects me to go and make sure she is safe. She gets scared. I can't blame her, she's only 9 months old. She's a german shepherd dog, australian shepherd, and blue heeler mix. Her dad was a police dog. She's great, and I'd rather protect her than expect her to go out there armed only with teeth to confront whatever dangers there are. I'drather rely ona tac light, my sig and good judgement.

Marco

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Not my dog.
what my dog is willing to do for love is amazing.
that is why i own what i own and you have yours.:lol:
he considers it the least he can to, after all he gets room/board and companionship
my dog considers the property his as much as it is mine and will rebuke all intruders

expvideo

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
expvideo wrote:
Not my dog.
what my dog is willing to do for love is amazing.
that is why i own what i own and you have yours.:lol:
he considers it the least he can to, after all he gets room/board and companionship
my dog considers the property his as much as it is mine and will rebuke all intruders
That's good. I wasn't trying to knock your methods (or should I say, your dog's methods), I hope I didn't come across that way.

tarzan1888

imported post

dangerousman wrote:
LOL, yes gangbangers do kill alot of people, occasionally even the ones they intended to kill. If you fire enough bullets, someone is bound to get hit sooner or later.

Agent19 you use a night light? Isn't that cute!

Your flashlight cost more than my night sights. Not that I'm knocking a good flashlight, because they're useful and have their placetoo. But nightsights won't giveyour locationaway like a flashlight does.

Now gun mounted flashlights? Usually, not such a good idea-- the debate continues.

She's Back.

Tarzan

Marco

imported post

Expo, no offensemeant none taken.
Tarzan,I believe you are correct, hence my post in moderation at least under that name;).