• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remarks By Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1197041144284.shtm

[more before and after this excerpt, click URL for full article]

Question: Mr. Secretary, a question on a different subject relating to the Omaha shooting yesterday. I was wondering if you and the department have any concerns about safety at shopping malls. And also, there had been previous FBI intelligence about threats to shopping malls. Any concerns that you have about that, and any actions the department is taking?
Secretary Chertoff: Let me, first of all, separate out the story sometime earlier we had about the FBI, kind of a general awareness notification on the need to be mindful of security during the holiday season. That’s really a matter of common sense. It’s not a reflection that there’s some specific imminent threat. And of course, the story out of Omaha is not a terrorism-related story. It’s similar to the tragedy we saw in Virginia Tech. We do live in an open society and there are people who are mentally disturbed who will sometimes take violent action. Obviously, the malls are almost all owned by private parties, so a lot of the responsibility for security lies with the private companies that own and operate the malls, and of course local government and local police play a major role as well.
But we have actually been working with the commercial sector over the last couple of years to help upgrade their security, and let me give you some ideas of what we’ve done. This past fall, we held regional training seminars in 12 cities across the country to talk about things like IED and vehicle-borne IED prevention, and soft target awareness. We do work with the Commercial Facilities Sector Security group to talk about best practices and also convey intelligence and information about the kinds of things that are out there.
We also have our protective security advisors who go and visit various facilities. We actually had one, by coincidence, at the mall in question at the time of the incident, discussing reaction to IEDs and what you can do to prevent or reduce your vulnerability to IEDs. We had, again, given over $45,000 to this particular mall as part of a Buffer Zone Protection Plan, which resulted in allowing them to build entrance bollards, portable barriers, and communication systems.
So we are doing a lot with respect to malls, but I do have to say, at the end of the day, the joy of holiday time is the ability to get out in public, and we don’t want to sacrifice the freedom of movement entirely. So we want to have the right balance between putting in some prudent security measures, but also not so confining the ability to enter our commercial retail establishments that people don’t wind up wanting to go to shop. And I think this balance is one we have to achieve in partnership not only with local government and state government, but with the private sector as well.

ne1

imported post

We also have our protective security advisors who go and visit various facilities. We actually had one, by coincidence, at the mall in question at the time of the incident, discussing reaction to IEDs and what you can do to prevent or reduce your vulnerability to IEDs. We had, again, given over $45,000 to this particular mall as part of a Buffer Zone Protection Plan, which resulted in allowing them to build entrance bollards, portable barriers, and communication systems.
And just what did any of that do to prevent or mitigate this event?????????????

That money could have equipped maybe 2000 members of the militia, probablymuch more if those stupid 'buy-back' programs were defunded....

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Why is the government giving my tax money to private shopping malls? I wouldn't mind if the money went for BIG signs that said this mall is protected by citizens that CC and OC. Don't even think of doing something stupid.

imperialism2024

imported post

color of law wrote:
Why is the government giving my tax money to private shopping malls? I wouldn't mind if the money went for BIG signs that said this mall is protected by citizens that CC and OC. Don't even think of doing something stupid.
It would be an idle threat, I think. Posts regarding the recent mall shooting just confirm that a good portion of gun owners, if confronted with a threat, are going to get themselves and their families out of the dangerous situation and let law enforcement mop it up. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know, but it seems like the deterrent effect may be overstated a bit.

ETA: And you better watch with those signs made by government contractors... do you really want to be paying $200,000 per sign to the "lowest bidder"? :?

expvideo

imported post

We had, again, given over $45,000 to this particular mall as part of a Buffer Zone Protection Plan, which resulted in allowing them to build entrance bollards, portable barriers, and communication systems.
So we are doing a lot with respect to malls, but I do have to say, at the end of the day, the joy of holiday time is the ability to get out in public, and we don’t want to sacrifice the freedom of movement entirely. So we want to have the right balance between putting in some prudent security measures, but also not so confining the ability to enter our commercial retail establishments that people don’t wind up wanting to go to shop. And I think this balance is one we have to achieve in partnership not only with local government and state government, but with the private sector as well.
What a load of crap. A kid with an AK defeated all of those extra security measures, and just showed how everything this guy just said was completely useless. His answer to "how are we going to make malls safer after the massacre" was "they already are safe"? I feel dumber for reading this.