• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounters with Law Enforcement

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Welcome!

Please don't get discouraged when you see a certain amount of LEO bashing. It usually is directed at what is considered bad or unreasonable LEOs. Both LEOs and citizens fall on one side or the other side of the Bell Curve. And you will see extremes on both sides of the Bell Curve here. Out of all this discussion, ranting and raving some semblance of right and wrong will emerge.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

color of law wrote:
SNIP Both LEOs and citizens fall on one side or the other side of the Bell Curve. And you will see extremes on both sides of the Bell Curve here.
Out of all this discussion, ranting and raving some semblance of right and wrong will emerge.

Hey!! Watch that one-side-or-the-other Bell Curve business.Some of usare ahead of the curve. Way ahead. :)

By the way, I'm right.Everybodywho disagrees iswrong. End of discussion. No further emergence is necessary. :)

I never rant, although I do get raved about. An epitome of wisdom, serenity, and grace. For some reason my friends always fall down suffocating with laughter when I add humble to the list. :)

ace1001

imported post

Most LEOs are on the side of armed citizens. It is usually liberal intellectuals of authority who send LEOs toenforce their anti-gun agenda. Even if it is just to "check everything" it serves to harass the gun owner. These arrogant elitist hypocrites usually look down on the LEO as well. We will have to challenge them one by one in court until they are dissuaded from harassment.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Seif5034 wrote:
michaelc wrote:
Anyone have an encounter with a police officer while OC?

How did it go?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI

check out this link.
Since you seem to be new to the site, I would suggest you review the previous posts before you post something that has been posted and discuss (and recently) before. No offense meant, just look around first, most all of your questions or comments you may makehave most likely been posted or answered.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Having been harassed by police, I can say it is definitelyan occupational hazard.

However, its the price we pay for reasserting our 2A rights.

That is to say, its potentially part of the deal.If youwould strongly ratheravoid experiencing it, stick with CC. I'm of the opinion that it takes a deliberate decisionto OC in support of 2A.
It shouldn't have to be. If OC is legal, with permit or without, you should be presumed legal. They don't pull you over when they see you driving a car because they think you might be driving without a license (unless you look like you're 12 years old).

On the other hand, consider a guy coming out of a house with an armful of computer equipment andloading it into his car. It's probablyinnocent; there's certainly nothing illegal about the act, but depending on surrounding circumstances it could be burglary. It would be prudent of the officer to ask a few questions and do some snoopingto verifythat the house, car, and equipment belong to the person or are being used/taken with the owner's permission.

I think that open carry is a similar scenario. It's most likely fine, but there could also be trouble brewing, anddepending on the situation it might be abetter ideafor an officer to ask a few questions than to ignore it. Those questions, however, should be in a courteous manner, with a tone of just making sure it's all good, rather than being accusatory and power-trippish. "Excuse me there sir, I couldn't help but notice your sidearm, and felt it would be best to make sure you had your GFL on you. Would you mind showing it to me?", as opposed to, without any preamble, "License and registration please, sir."