Thread: Why everyone needs a recording device while carrying

Post imported post

EW YORK (AP) - A teenage suspect who secretly recorded his interrogation on an MP3 player has landed a veteran detective in the middle of perjury charges, authorities said Thursday. Unaware of the recording, Detective Christopher Perino testified in April that the suspect "wasn't questioned" about a shooting in the Bronx, a criminal complaint said. But then the defense confronted the detective with a transcript it said proved he had spent more than an hour unsuccessfully trying to persuade Erik Crespo to confess—at times with vulgar tactics.

Once the transcript was revealed in court, prosecutors asked for a recess, defense attorney Mark DeMarco said. The detective was pulled from the witness stand and advised to get a lawyer.

Perino, 42, was arraigned Thursday on 12 counts of first-degree perjury and faces as many as seven years on each count, prosecutors said. He was released on $15,000 bail.

His attorney did not immediately respond to a telephone message seeking comment Thursday. A New York Police Department spokesman declined to comment.
    The allegations "put the safety of all law-abiding citizens at risk because they undermine the integrity and foundation of the entire criminal justice system," District Attorney Robert Johnson said in a statement.

Perino had arrested Crespo on New Year's Eve 2005 while investigating the shooting of a man in an elevator. While in an interrogation room at a station house, Crespo, then 17, stealthily pressed the record button on the MP3 player, a Christmas gift, DeMarco said.

After Crespo was charged with attempted murder, his family surprised DeMarco by playing him the recording.

"I couldn't believe my ears," said the lawyer, who decided to keep the recording under wraps until he cross-examined Perino at the trial.

Prosecutors then offered Crespo, who had faced as many as 25 years if convicted, seven years if he pleaded guilty to a weapons charge. He accepted.

Post imported post

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

A teenage suspect who secretly recorded his interrogation on an MP3 player has landed a veteran detective in the middle of perjury charges, authorities said Thursday. Unaware of the recording, Detective Christopher Perino testified in April that the suspect "wasn't questioned" about a shooting in the Bronx, a criminal complaint said. But then the defense confronted the detective with a transcript it said proved he had spent more than an hour unsuccessfully trying to persuade Erik Crespo to confess - at times with vulgar tactics.

Once the transcript was revealed in court, prosecutors asked for a recess, defense attorney Mark DeMarco said. The detective was pulled from the witness stand and advised to get a lawyer.

Post imported post

TPD Officers Olsen and Smalls would have had some serious explaining to do to their sergeant if I had had the forethought to record the stop. Olsen lied in his written report of the interaction, and sadly forced Smalls to lie to cover it up. Olsen told me he would seize my firearm if he ever heard of me carrying it openly on the waterfront. He told me I could not carry my pistol on the Ruston Way waterfront, made me conceal (coercion) and forbid me to reload it after he’d cleared it. He also said he would stand in front of any judge and testify that my carry was causing alarm. He later denied, in writing, saying these things.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

151 stories http://news.google.com/news?q=Detect...ified+in+April

one includes this statement

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...xkblgD8TCBOG00
    The allegations "put the safety of all law-abiding citizens at risk because they undermine the integrity and foundation of the entire criminal justice system," District Attorney Robert Johnson said in a statement.
    Good catch!

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Unfortunately, the career of law enforcement attracts some real scum bags.

Banned

Post imported post

Our knowledge is one thing, judicial notice and press notice are two different kettles of fish.

Stating our knowledge is "cop-bashing," of which we will soon be accused.

Banned

Post imported post

I will be pleased and proud. My e-mail is in my profile.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You can bet that NYC is now going to find a way to make these recording devices illegal. They can't continue to have citizens expose the advanced tactics used by the law enforcement community to effectively fight crime. To allow it to continue would be an outrage and compromises the safety of the public.

:P

Post imported post

Now every investigation that this detective has been involved in will be questioned. I hope it frees some innocent people, and he goes to jail. I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to go up the river. They'll claim that losing his career as a LEO is punishment enough, just like the drunk DEA agent who shot a guy here several years ago.

Banned

Post imported post

Further comment at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6524.html the 'News and political alerts' forum.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Further comment at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6524.html the 'News and political alerts' forum.
    Which is where this thread SHOULD have been in the first place....
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

Given the very recent discussions about carrying recorders on this forum I didn't think anyone would mind, and that is was both appropriate and topical to the regulars on the VA Open Carry board.

Post imported post

Toad wrote:
    You can bet that NYC is now going to find a way to make these recording devices illegal.
    Yeah NYC policeare famous for making threats, stealing cameras and other such things to make sure their misdeeds don't get out to the general public. Case in point.

Another case in point (though not an NYC example)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I appreciate your reasoning Horrid but this is really a story that everyone on the board should see, but you get credit for being first.

Banned

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I appreciate your reasoning Horrid but this is really a story that everyone on the board should see, but you get credit for being first.
    +1 Thank you for your keen vision and steady hand on the tiller of OCDO.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Our knowledge is one thing, judicial notice and press notice are two different kettles of fish.

Stating our knowledge is "cop-bashing," of which we will soon be accused.
    If you mean in here, just don't make blanket statements.

Is this Perino guy a scumbag and a disgrace to the badge?

You bet your ass.

If his supervisor tries to sweep this under the rug, brush it off, and pretend like it never happened, is he a scumbag dishonoring his entire profession?

Yep.

Does that make other cops less trustworthy?

No, but badges still have tarnish on them from incidents like this, it's human nature.

As long as we remember there are good cops, and remember to praise the ones that do well.... you figure out the rest.

Blanket statements don't help either group.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Banned

Post imported post

'Praise' for a job properly done? How things change! 'Self-esteem' injected into students and sensitive adults, a thousand atta-boyz wiped out by one 'Aww-shoot.'

Post imported post

Well, someone's cranky from having to wake up early.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Banned

Post imported post

Neither 'cranky' nor 'have to' but curmudgeonly old folks don't need as much sleep.

I woke at 0230 to p. and saw 17P Holmes out my BR window. Dozed until 0330 and decided to make the world a better place by stirrin' the 'pudding' - the only thing that can be done, sometimes the pudding is made better and sometimes it slops out of the pot.

Obviously I don't believe in the precautionary principle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle