• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Day After Christmas Range Day at NRA Headquarters

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:

Never been to the NRA Range, & it looks like I need to take the pass-fail safety test. How much time should I allow for that?

About 15 minutes.

Since I'll be toting "a few" toys, I'll have them in a wheeled cart. Is there a ramp or elevator leading to the range? If not, about how many steps will I have to lug stuff back UP an the way out? (Gravity operates at 2X going uphill, right?)

There's a very gentle ramp, no stairs...

kle

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
skidmark wrote:

Never been to the NRA Range, & it looks like I need to take the pass-fail safety test. How much time should I allow for that?

About 15 minutes.
and if you don't get something right, they go over it with you...they give you a packet, and the test to fill out, and basically you regurgitate what's in the packet onto the test. Easy as pie.

kle

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
1st time goers I believe there is now a 12 dollar additional Test and processing fee!
Dang...there wasn't when I took the test, but that was last year...I don't remember if there was when my brother took his test (again, that was last year).

AR15Texan

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Sorry its 10 bucks (pays for your card and processing for the test) started April 2007.
Yes it is true $10.00. I received my card in April 2007 and that is what I paid.

AR15Texan

imported post

skidmark wrote:
As long as I can start my commute after 12 Noon I am good with any time you all select - as long as you let me know when to be there!

Never been to the NRA Range, & it looks like I need to take the pass-fail safety test. How much time should I allow for that? [shadow=blue]About 15-20 minutes ought to do it.[/shadow] Since I'll be toting "a few" toys, I'll have them in a wheeled cart. Is there a ramp or elevator leading to the range? [shadow=blue]If you park in the parking garage the range is on the same level.[/shadow] If not, about how many steps will I have to lug stuff back UP an the way out?[shadow=blue]No steps if I recall correctly.[/shadow](Gravity operates at 2X going uphill, right?)

stay safe.

skidmark
Directions: http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/directions.asp

Map image attached

Attachments

• NRA Range.JPG
    NRA Range.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 271

W.E.G.

imported post

I've never heard of a fee at the NRA range for taking the safety test.

Allow an extra 20 minutes for the test. The answers are posted all around the room. The RSO at the counter will review any mistakes you make. Some of the questions and answers are poorly worded.

The NRA Range is open to the general public. NRA members receive a discount on range fees.

NRA Members - $12.00 per hour/per lane.
Additional shooter sharing a lane with a member - additional $8.00 per hour/per lane.

Non-members - $15.00 per hour/per lane.
Additional shooter sharing a lane with a non-member - additional $10.00 per hour/per lane.

Shooters under the age of 18 sharing a lane with an adult - free

kle

imported post

A Merry Christmas Eve to y'all, and a bump-to-top to make sure we're still on for this!

I'll be bringing my brother and his fiancee, so we'll need to take one test (fiancee), probably around 5:30PM or so.

AR15Texan

imported post

I still plan on going, 12/26/2007 @ 6:00PM.

I have the following people say they are in:

casullshooter

skidmark

kle

Neplusultra

Tess

kle wrote:
A Merry Christmas Eve to y'all, and a bump-to-top to make sure we're still on for this!

I'll be bringing my brother and his fiancee, so we'll need to take one test (fiancee), probably around 5:30PM or so.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now I know what Santa must have felt like last night. I'm packing up my toys for a trip.

So far - AR-15 in .45acp, Marlin Camp in .45acp, S&W 625, 1917& 340PD in .45acp, Sig 220 in .45acp, AJ "Thomas" in .45acp, AMT Backup in .45acp. Anybody see a trend? :lol:

I'm also going to bring my Saiga .410 - it's almost .45acp! :p

Probably going to bring 1 or 2 others in oddball calibers. .32H&RMag, .38S&W, and whatever else I can lift ammo for.

Oh, yeah! I'll have my Downsizer WSP (World's smallest Pistol) with me. I'm offering cash $$ :monkeyto anyone who can load, fire, eject, reload, and fire again in under 30 seconds. I will be demonstrating first to show it can be done.

till then,

stay safe.

skidmark

IanB

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Now I know what Santa must have felt like last night. I'm packing up my toys for a trip.

So far - AR-15 in .45acp, Marlin Camp in .45acp, S&W 625, 1917& 340PD in .45acp, Sig 220 in .45acp, AJ "Thomas" in .45acp, AMT Backup in .45acp. Anybody see a trend? :lol:

I'm also going to bring my Saiga .410 - it's almost .45acp! :p

Probably going to bring 1 or 2 others in oddball calibers. .32H&RMag, .38S&W, and whatever else I can lift ammo for.

Oh, yeah! I'll have my Downsizer WSP (World's smallest Pistol) with me. I'm offering cash $$ :monkeyto anyone who can load, fire, eject, reload, and fire again in under 30 seconds. I will be demonstrating first to show it can be done.

till then,

stay safe.

skidmark
Geeeeezuz! Are you bringing Santas elves with you to carry all that junk in the door? :lol:

I'll be there too, just not sure when. I'm outta work at 4:30, but I bet we leave [work] early. If I do get stuck there till 4:30 I'll be at NRA somewhere around 5:30-6:00. I never did see if the time changed to 6pm, but 6 would work much better for me.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Geeeeezuz! Are you bringing Santas elves with you to carry all that junk in the door? :lol:

That's why they make wheeled carts! Besides, they fit into the trunk so much easier than tactical wheelbarrows. (Google Gecko45 if you are not familiar with the concept)

stay safe.

skidmark

kle

imported post

It was good meeting everyone! 3fgburner, AR15Texan, Neplusultra, Tess, nakedshoplifter, and...was it skidmark's AK-47 I shot? It was a night of firsts for me--first time shooting a rifle, first time shooting an AK-47, first time shooting an AR-15, first time shooting a 1911, first time with a Ruger Mk.II, first time with a Tokarev...

Man it was fun! I wish I had as interesting equipment (I should've brought my P7M10!).

Thanks, everyone!

Olivers_AR

imported post

Also great to meet everyone and now I'll be able to put names to faces! The AK was a Yugo M70 with an underfolder stock ;)

The .454 is a cannon! Dex's markov and P-38 were also interesting.

--Olivers_AR

kle

imported post

and Neplusultra's PLR-16 was a blast (pun intended!). My brother said I had a "s#!t-eating grin" after the second shot =)