Thread: conceal carry walmart findlay ohio

Post imported post

I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE NORMAL ON OPEN CARRY BUT I WANTED TO POST IT ANYWAY..tonight my wife and i were shopping at the findlay walmart on trenton ave. i was conceal carrying and stopped by the restroom to take a leak and the room was full so i stood back waiting my turn i had my arms crossed and it must have lifted my sweat shirt up and exposed maybe a inch of my holster or this sicko looked over the short wall and seen more than one gun but my wife and i went on shopping and the guy that looked at me funny in rr came up to me and asked why i was carrying a gun in the store and if i was carrying on a ccw and i said yes i was he then said well then you need to keep it covered i told him that i can carry iyt open that their is no law agianst that and i showed him my ccw and then a walmart employee walked up and the guy told him i already asked him if he has a permit and he does i then showed him and i asked the guy if he was a police officer and he said yes i am and i asked him for id he told me he didnt have it with him and i then asked him if he could tell me what office he worked for and he said he doesnt have to tell me . the walmart guy was happy with my ccw and said have a good day so we walked away onto the toys and next thing i know about 10 walmart employees were in the toys watching us and they followed us all around the store made shopping uncomfortable so we paid for what little we had (we planed on spending alot we have 7 kids) we cut it short while in line to pay the vultures were all over when we walked out i stopped by the greeter and told him this was the worst walmart i've been in and told him why he said he has a ccw and that would have pissed him off to . the main shadow that followed us came out there and i informed him of the law and he said i know but asst, manager told him to follow us he said he knew the law on it the asst. manager came out and i shook his hand and was informing him and he was the rudest SOB ever and i told him i was planning on spending some $$$$ but they made me feel like they didnt want me in there he shrugged his shoulders i asked him if he had anything to say and agian the shoulders went up i then told him i would not shop there anymore and agian with the shoulders .the greeter is shaking his head knowing that all i wanted was an apology and they would not give it so we left i plan on calling the store manager sat. anyone got advice? should i just let it go am i being a *******?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Its a little hard to read your post and follow the narrative; but, sure, call.

I'd suggest that instead of complaining, which just makes them dig in their heels, maybe find a way to give some positive reinforcement to the desirable aspects of it.

I might try complimenting them on their concern for their customers in a sincere way. They probably don't realize that a CCWtypically requires backround checks and proof of safety training, soyou might want to includesomething to thateffect as you slide into something like, "As a responsible, safety trained, firearm owner, I'm very concerned aboutpersonal safety, too."

Thewhole point is to make them a little less worried the next timeyou, or any gun ownercarries there. And gracefully help them forget that they made jerks of themselves whilealso focusing on thetiny part they did get right. It was right for them to be concerned aboutcustomer safety. They justdidn't pickthe bestway to show it.

Also,management will figure out what happened, even if you couch it in complimentary language.They'll let the underlings know there might be a better way to solve it. And nobody will think its a major situation, making everybody a little more relaxed and receptive to "corrective suggestions."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

i would call the headquarters and voice your problem along with the who,why,when,where, greeters statement ,ps would have had security call the law on other guy to verify that he was a cop and if not then he could end up in jail impersonation

thats just my opionion, and if he had no id of a cop when you asked, i would have told him to buzz off

Post imported post

Ditto on the guy impersonating a cop (you totally could have placed him under citizens arrest for that). The 'I don't have I.D. on me' I *might* be able to swallow, but not the 'I don't have to tell what dept. I'm with, neeener neener blah!" That sounded like total BS to me.

PS Punctuation is your friend.

Post imported post

gunslinger69 wrote:
    ...am i being a *******?
    Gee, you think????

Post imported post

bb62 don't be an ass explain yourself when you post

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

But Ohio statutes arguably ban carry at a WalMart selling alcohol, right?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Not necessarily. If the WalMart has a class "D" liquor license, you are not suppose to carry. The problem is the law was meant to mean where liquor is served by the glass.

Ohio law is all screwed up.

Post imported post

If he would have told me he was LEO but failed to produce a badge and/or dept and badge number I would have told him ever so politely that he can go 'eff himself until he can produce proper credentials.

This brings up a good point though, when carrying CCW its probably a good bet to go into the stalls if you have the chance of exposing your weapon.

Post imported post

YES soloban you are right but you can open carry in ohio and i have checked with several leo and they say if it shows when you cc its not a problem because of the open carry law.

if their is a law aginst this i have not seen it and the police dont know about it !

Post imported post

gunslinger69 wrote:
    YES soloban you are right but you can open carry in ohio and i have checked with several leo and they say if it shows when you cc its not a problem because of the open carry law.

if their is a law aginst this i have not seen it and the police dont know about it !
    You have checked with several "leo" (not LEOs, eh?) - whose opinion and $1 will get you a cup of coffee, since LEOs are not at all reliable sources of information.

As for the "open carry law",just what is that? Maybe you can enlighten us...

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Hopefully not for much longer. It's looking good for getting this all straightened out. Jim Irvine with Buckeye Firearm Association is on board now; he offered to help get this moved along. I don't see any problems with getting it passed.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Hopefully not for much longer. It's looking good for getting this all straightened out. Jim Irvine with Buckeye Firearm Association is on board now; he offered to help get this moved along. I don't see any problems with getting it passed.
    I'll cross my fingers but I won't hold my breath!!!

Post imported post

You can do one better than cross your fingers, if you'd like. CallRep. Mark Okey to let him know you support this wording being fixed, or email Jim Irvine with BFA, and ask him what you can do to help move this along. Just the other day, Jim volunteered to help with this, so hopefully between all of us, it will happen.

Post imported post

Walmart takes customer complaints seriously. The loss of a single consumer has a lifetime spending dollar amount attached in the thousands.

Post imported post

What happened to the rest of the story? I was simply looking for an answer as to whether I would need a permit to carry a handgun on me in Ohio. It is like pulling teeth to get a clear answer with supporting legal state referencing. Do I need a ccw permit in Ohio? And, now, I am wondering if it is legal to open carry, then howcome I don't see 'cowboys' walking the streets of Cleveland? I would tend to think open carry is for hunting rifles?

Post imported post

Cleveland city laws are different then ohio state law , if i am correct they are in conflict with state and federal law.

if in doubt, leave without. or get your CCW permit.

Post imported post

I suggest that the last two posters go here,

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4261/53/

All the info you seek on Ohio law is there. Click on the legislation tab at the top of the page, and follow the links.

From both of your posts, I would say you need to do some research as you have incorrect information . These subjects are to in depth to convey all the info that you are asking for in one post.

Post imported post

n8isaham wrote:
    Cleveland city laws are different then ohio state law , if i am correct they are in conflict with state and federal law.

ALL gun laws are the same throughout Ohio. There's STATE law, and NOTHING else.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

notswift wrote:
    What happened to the rest of the story? I was simply looking for an answer as to whether I would need a permit to carry a handgun on me in Ohio. It is like pulling teeth to get a clear answer with supporting legal state referencing. Do I need a ccw permit in Ohio? And, now, I am wondering if it is legal to open carry, then howcome I don't see 'cowboys' walking the streets of Cleveland? I would tend to think open carry is for hunting rifles?
    Open carry is completely lawful in Ohio. You need a CHL to conceal a handgun, or to carry one loaded in an automobile. It's perfectly legal to walk down the street with a holstered handgun.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

notswift wrote:
    Open carry is legal in Ohio. State law is THE law where firearms are concerned however Cleveland loves to harass, arrest, confiscate and generally bully it citizens who choose to carry a gun. They try to make an example of the people who do open carry to dissuade others from doing it. What they are doing is harassment and nothing else. You don't see "cowboys" walking down the street because most people don't want to deal with the illegal, legal hassles that Cleveland will give you.

If you don't mind being arrested, possibly at gun point, having your gun confiscated and having to go to court to prove you are not doing anything illegal and then have to file a lawsuit against the city to get your gun back, then open carry is legal in Cleveland.

You would think that in a financially failing city like Cleveland they could find better things to do with the taxpayers money than spend it in court over illegally harassing people who exercise their second amendment rights. No wonder people are running out of the city

John

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:
    n8isaham wrote:

ALL gun laws are the same throughout Ohio. There's STATE law, and NOTHING else.
    I beg to differ with you , Cleveland has its own city gun laws that are in conflict with state laws. It may be resolved now but when i got my ccw permit it was not.

This is my from a Plain Dealer article
    http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/03/cleveland_sues_to_defend_city.html

Cleveland's gun lawsuit draws NRA fire
    Posted by Plain Dealer staff May 31, 2007 11:49AM
    Categories: Breaking News

Cleveland's challenge of a state law that prevents Ohio cities from making their own gun laws faces a new opponent -- The National Rifle Association.

The NRA reported Wednesday that it intervened in a lawsuit that Cleveland filed against the state in March in an attempt to overturn the law.

"We have joined in this lawsuit as a defendant-intervenor to protect law-abiding gun owners in Ohio from harassment by an unreasonable and confusing patchwork of municipal gun laws," NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox said in a statement.

A new provision of the state's concealed-carry gun law voided local firearms ordinances, including local bans on assault weapons.

Cleveland's lawsuit contends the new law is unconstitutional because it interferes with the city's home-rule rights to govern itself and to exercise police powers.

At the time of the filing, Mayor Frank Jackson vowed to continue enforcing city gun laws, including those prohibiting minors from possessing firearms.

and this article

Cleveland sues to defend city gun laws
    Posted by Olivera Perkins March 14, 2007 13:11PM
    Categories: Breaking News

Cleveland filed suit today to challenge a state law that nullifies city gun laws, including those banning assault weapons and guns on school property.

The suit says that the Ohio Constitution grants cities like Cleveland the power to make local laws that put limitations on firearms. The city timed its filing in the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas Court to the day the state law took effect.

In a news conference at police headquarters, where he was surrounded by assault weapons police had seized, Mayor Frank Jackson said the city will continue to enforce its laws while challenging the state law.

City laws prohibit minors from possessing firearms, ban weapons on school property and ban the possession and sale of assault weapons.

"We intend to enforce our laws regardless of what the state has done," Jackson said.

Post imported post

N8,

you really need to keep up with the times...

Cleveland lost that suit.