• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conceal carry walmart findlay ohio

gunslinger69

imported post

I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE NORMAL ON OPEN CARRY BUT I WANTED TO POST IT ANYWAY..tonight my wife and i were shopping at the findlay walmart on trenton ave. i was conceal carrying and stopped by the restroom to take a leak and the room was full so i stood back waiting my turn i had my arms crossed and it must have lifted my sweat shirt up and exposed maybe a inch of my holster or this sicko looked over the short wall and seen more than one gun but my wife and i went on shopping and the guy that looked at me funny in rr came up to me and asked why i was carrying a gun in the store and if i was carrying on a ccw and i said yes i was he then said well then you need to keep it covered i told him that i can carry iyt open that their is no law agianst that and i showed him my ccw and then a walmart employee walked up and the guy told him i already asked him if he has a permit and he does i then showed him and i asked the guy if he was a police officer and he said yes i am and i asked him for id he told me he didnt have it with him and i then asked him if he could tell me what office he worked for and he said he doesnt have to tell me . the walmart guy was happy with my ccw and said have a good day so we walked away onto the toys and next thing i know about 10 walmart employees were in the toys watching us and they followed us all around the store made shopping uncomfortable so we paid for what little we had (we planed on spending alot we have 7 kids) we cut it short while in line to pay the vultures were all over when we walked out i stopped by the greeter and told him this was the worst walmart i've been in and told him why he said he has a ccw and that would have pissed him off to . the main shadow that followed us came out there and i informed him of the law and he said i know but asst, manager told him to follow us he said he knew the law on it the asst. manager came out and i shook his hand and was informing him and he was the rudest SOB ever and i told him i was planning on spending some $$$$ but they made me feel like they didnt want me in there he shrugged his shoulders i asked him if he had anything to say and agian the shoulders went up i then told him i would not shop there anymore and agian with the shoulders .the greeter is shaking his head knowing that all i wanted was an apology and they would not give it so we left i plan on calling the store manager sat. anyone got advice? should i just let it go am i being a asshole?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Its a little hard to read your post and follow the narrative; but, sure, call.

I'd suggest that instead of complaining, which just makes them dig in their heels, maybe find a way to give some positive reinforcement to the desirable aspects of it.

I might try complimenting them on their concern for their customers in a sincere way. They probably don't realize that a CCWtypically requires backround checks and proof of safety training, soyou might want to includesomething to thateffect as you slide into something like, "As a responsible, safety trained, firearm owner, I'm very concerned aboutpersonal safety, too."

Thewhole point is to make them a little less worried the next timeyou, or any gun ownercarries there. And gracefully help them forget that they made jerks of themselves whilealso focusing on thetiny part they did get right. It was right for them to be concerned aboutcustomer safety. They justdidn't pickthe bestway to show it.

Also,management will figure out what happened, even if you couch it in complimentary language.They'll let the underlings know there might be a better way to solve it. And nobody will think its a major situation, making everybody a little more relaxed and receptive to "corrective suggestions."

mastiff69

imported post

i would call the headquarters and voice your problem along with the who,why,when,where, greeters statement ,ps would have had security call the law on other guy to verify that he was a cop and if not then he could end up in jail impersonation

thats just my opionion, and if he had no id of a cop when you asked, i would have told him to buzz off

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Ditto on the guy impersonating a cop (you totally could have placed him under citizens arrest for that). The 'I don't have I.D. on me' I *might* be able to swallow, but not the 'I don't have to tell what dept. I'm with, neeener neener blah!" That sounded like total BS to me.

PS Punctuation is your friend.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
But Ohio statutes arguably ban carry at a WalMart selling alcohol, right?
Not necessarily. If the WalMart has a class "D" liquor license, you are not suppose to carry. The problem is the law was meant to mean where liquor is served by the glass.

Ohio law is all screwed up.

soloban

imported post

If he would have told me he was LEO but failed to produce a badge and/or dept and badge number I would have told him ever so politely that he can go 'eff himself until he can produce proper credentials.

This brings up a good point though, when carrying CCW its probably a good bet to go into the stalls if you have the chance of exposing your weapon.

gunslinger69

imported post

YES soloban you are right but you can open carry in ohio and i have checked with several leo and they say if it shows when you cc its not a problem because of the open carry law.

if their is a law aginst this i have not seen it and the police dont know about it !

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gunslinger69 wrote:
YES soloban you are right but you can open carry in ohio and i have checked with several leo and they say if it shows when you cc its not a problem because of the open carry law.

if their is a law aginst this i have not seen it and the police dont know about it !
You have checked with several "leo" (not LEOs, eh?) - whose opinion and $1 will get you a cup of coffee, since LEOs are not at all reliable sources of information.

As for the "open carry law",just what is that? Maybe you can enlighten us...

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Hopefully not for much longer. It's looking good for getting this all straightened out. Jim Irvine with Buckeye Firearm Association is on board now; he offered to help get this moved along. I don't see any problems with getting it passed.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

dngreer wrote:
Mike wrote:
Hopefully not for much longer. It's looking good for getting this all straightened out. Jim Irvine with Buckeye Firearm Association is on board now; he offered to help get this moved along. I don't see any problems with getting it passed.
I'll cross my fingers but I won't hold my breath!!!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

You can do one better than cross your fingers, if you'd like. CallRep. Mark Okey to let him know you support this wording being fixed, or email Jim Irvine with BFA, and ask him what you can do to help move this along. Just the other day, Jim volunteered to help with this, so hopefully between all of us, it will happen.

notswift

imported post

Walmart takes customer complaints seriously. The loss of a single consumer has a lifetime spending dollar amount attached in the thousands.

notswift

imported post

What happened to the rest of the story? I was simply looking for an answer as to whether I would need a permit to carry a handgun on me in Ohio. It is like pulling teeth to get a clear answer with supporting legal state referencing. Do I need a ccw permit in Ohio? And, now, I am wondering if it is legal to open carry, then howcome I don't see 'cowboys' walking the streets of Cleveland? I would tend to think open carry is for hunting rifles?

n8isaham

imported post

Cleveland city laws are different then ohio state law , if i am correct they are in conflict with state and federal law.

if in doubt, leave without. or get your CCW permit.

truck2201

imported post

I suggest that the last two posters go here,

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4261/53/

All the info you seek on Ohio law is there. Click on the legislation tab at the top of the page, and follow the links.

From both of your posts, I would say you need to do some research as you have incorrect information . These subjects are to in depth to convey all the info that you are asking for in one post.

Deanimator

imported post

n8isaham wrote:
Cleveland city laws are different then ohio state law , if i am correct they are in conflict with state and federal law.

if in doubt, leave without. or get your CCW permit.
ALL gun laws are the same throughout Ohio. There's STATE law, and NOTHING else.

Deanimator

imported post

notswift wrote:
What happened to the rest of the story? I was simply looking for an answer as to whether I would need a permit to carry a handgun on me in Ohio. It is like pulling teeth to get a clear answer with supporting legal state referencing. Do I need a ccw permit in Ohio? And, now, I am wondering if it is legal to open carry, then howcome I don't see 'cowboys' walking the streets of Cleveland? I would tend to think open carry is for hunting rifles?
Open carry is completely lawful in Ohio. You need a CHL to conceal a handgun, or to carry one loaded in an automobile. It's perfectly legal to walk down the street with a holstered handgun.