• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conceal carry walmart findlay ohio

jgregel

imported post

notswift wrote:
What happened to the rest of the story? I was simply looking for an answer as to whether I would need a permit to carry a handgun on me in Ohio. It is like pulling teeth to get a clear answer with supporting legal state referencing. Do I need a ccw permit in Ohio? And, now, I am wondering if it is legal to open carry, then howcome I don't see 'cowboys' walking the streets of Cleveland? I would tend to think open carry is for hunting rifles?
Open carry is legal in Ohio. State law is THE law where firearms are concerned however Cleveland loves to harass, arrest, confiscate and generally bully it citizens who choose to carry a gun. They try to make an example of the people who do open carry to dissuade others from doing it. What they are doing is harassment and nothing else. You don't see "cowboys" walking down the street because most people don't want to deal with the illegal, legal hassles that Cleveland will give you.

If you don't mind being arrested, possibly at gun point, having your gun confiscated and having to go to court to prove you are not doing anything illegal and then have to file a lawsuit against the city to get your gun back, then open carry is legal in Cleveland.
:banghead:
You would think that in a financially failing city like Cleveland they could find better things to do with the taxpayers money than spend it in court over illegally harassing people who exercise their second amendment rights. No wonder people are running out of the city

John

n8isaham

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
n8isaham wrote:
Cleveland city laws are different then ohio state law , if i am correct they are in conflict with state and federal law.

if in doubt, leave without. or get your CCW permit.
ALL gun laws are the same throughout Ohio. There's STATE law, and NOTHING else.
I beg to differ with you , Cleveland has its own city gun laws that are in conflict with state laws. It may be resolved now but when i got my ccw permit it was not.

This is my from a Plain Dealer article
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/03/cleveland_sues_to_defend_city.html

Cleveland's gun lawsuit draws NRA fire
Posted by Plain Dealer staff May 31, 2007 11:49AM
Categories: Breaking News

Cleveland's challenge of a state law that prevents Ohio cities from making their own gun laws faces a new opponent -- The National Rifle Association.

The NRA reported Wednesday that it intervened in a lawsuit that Cleveland filed against the state in March in an attempt to overturn the law.

"We have joined in this lawsuit as a defendant-intervenor to protect law-abiding gun owners in Ohio from harassment by an unreasonable and confusing patchwork of municipal gun laws," NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox said in a statement.

A new provision of the state's concealed-carry gun law voided local firearms ordinances, including local bans on assault weapons.

Cleveland's lawsuit contends the new law is unconstitutional because it interferes with the city's home-rule rights to govern itself and to exercise police powers.

At the time of the filing, Mayor Frank Jackson vowed to continue enforcing city gun laws, including those prohibiting minors from possessing firearms.

and this article

Cleveland sues to defend city gun laws
Posted by Olivera Perkins March 14, 2007 13:11PM
Categories: Breaking News

Cleveland filed suit today to challenge a state law that nullifies city gun laws, including those banning assault weapons and guns on school property.

The suit says that the Ohio Constitution grants cities like Cleveland the power to make local laws that put limitations on firearms. The city timed its filing in the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas Court to the day the state law took effect.

In a news conference at police headquarters, where he was surrounded by assault weapons police had seized, Mayor Frank Jackson said the city will continue to enforce its laws while challenging the state law.

City laws prohibit minors from possessing firearms, ban weapons on school property and ban the possession and sale of assault weapons.

"We intend to enforce our laws regardless of what the state has done," Jackson said.