• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the woods

JB

imported post

I just had a thought I wanted to run by everyone. Most of my friends own firearms, and a few of them are also hunters. I am the only one of them with a CWL, and the only one out of the group that carries openly. To my knowledge none of them even keep a pistol "under the seat" when they travel. But, every time we venture into the woods; be it hunting, hiking, or scouting, they always strap on their .357's. I don't have any numbers to back this up, butI'm sure more people are attacked by other people than by bears or moose, etc.

I need to pick their brains as to why they don't carry in "civilization", but I wanted to hear your thoughts.

A retired sheriff from a mountain town told me their are 2 and 4 legged predators out there. I think more people need to worry about the 2 legged variety.

imanuke

imported post

I've seen that before. I think the problem, is that they want to open carry, but carrying in public is sometimes seen as taboo (even though it is legal). The woods might be the place they feel as the "safest" place to carry. I am a carrier (openly and concealed), but my wife acts nervous whenI open carry, for that reason.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imanuke wrote:
I've seen that before. I think the problem, is that they want to open carry, but carrying in public is sometimes seen as taboo (even though it is legal). The woods might be the place they feel as the "safest" place to carry. I am a carrier (openly and concealed), but my wife acts nervous whenI open carry, for that reason.

Welcome to OCDO!!!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have run across the same attitude. That one needs a gun in the woods but not so much in town. I was talking with a fellow the other day whose wife insisted he carry a pistol when he was bowhunting, yet he didn't in town. I mentioned to him to get a CHP so he could do that legally, hopefully he will take the next step to carrying in town/ regularly.

I think the movie Deliverance has something to do with it.

JB

imported post

Welcome aboard imanuke, I think you hit the nail right in the head. It's a shame that even in a conservative state with liberal gun laws people still feel it is wrong to exercise their rights. I haven't asked my friends why they don't carry in town, when I quiz them about it I'll relay their responses.

southernbnb

imported post

i dont really understand this train of thought. just tonight my parents told me that they dont think i should OC because it makes me a target for criminals but when i am leaving to go hunting the first thing they ask me is do i have my pistol? i am in the process of obtaining my ccw and they encourage me in that. but when i come home they want me to lock it up!:cuss: i have tried and tried to explain to them that a large number of violent crime happens in the home but its like:banghead:!!!! but inthe long run it is thier house so i have to respect thier wishes. i just pray every day that nothing happens in my home that i could have prevented had i been armed! :(

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

southernbnb wrote:
i dont really understand this train of thought. just tonight my parents told me that they dont think i should OC because it makes me a target for criminals but when i am leaving to go hunting the first thing they ask me is do i have my pistol? i am in the process of obtaining my ccw and they encourage me in that. but when i come home they want me to lock it up!:cuss: i have tried and tried to explain to them that a large number of violent crime happens in the home but its like:banghead:!!!! but inthe long run it is thier house so i have to respect thier wishes. i just pray every day that nothing happens in my home that i could have prevented had i been armed! :(
No disrespect intended towards your parents. I've never understood that mentality. If one can be trusted with a firearm OUTSIDE, why must they disarm themselves when they come inside? Why must they unload their firearm when they get into a vehicle? I deal with it with my own friends & family. I'm old enough now they've pretty much gotten used to me packing heat & don't hassle me much over it anymore. I've been doing it for 40+ yrs.

XD40coyote

imported post

I came across 1 guy ( a taxidermy customer of mine) who has a PA ccw permit and told me heccw'd while deer hunting, but generally doesn't do it anywhere else. Struck me as odd too. Another guy told me he also rarely carries, only when he goes into downtown York or something might he carry ( concealed). A 3rd guy I met carrys everywhere.

ButI have seen posts at a PA hunting board about ccw while hunting and it seems like something that is just done, but these same guys get vague about general carry. PA game laws won't allow you to dispatch wounded deer or bear( or to hunt anything period)with a semi auto either, so if any are carrying one while hunting, well I dunno. I can see carry in bear country, but what about to the market?

Yeah must be from watching Deliverance ! LOL

One thing I would like is to OC when I am walking on my trapline- for my own personal safety- woman alone on the trapline?I think I might be alright in PA, so long as its not for dispatching, since OC is legal in PA. I can handle a tactical type leg holster. It's the MD regulations I can't figure out. It says I can OC a hunting weapon while engaged in hunting or trapping- but what sort of trapped animal needs to be put down with a .40? I mean some coyotes may be really tough, but geeze( like I will ever even catch a yote around here- they are sparce). Me hunting squirrels or rabbits with a .40? yeah right... However I can put a .22 on my leg and no game warden will be wondering wether to ticket me or not, they won't ticket me for that. Deer hunting excuse is out too, would be only the short modern firearms seasons totaling 14 days each year, and modern handguns not legal in my county, and even if so must have a 6" or longer barrel.