• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Transporting" vs. "Concealed Carry"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
SNIP but how the hell am I supposed to bring my guns to the range when I'm in my pickup? I sure as hell am not going to leave them in the bed of the truck even with my locking tonneau cover!
Just follow what 18.2-308(B)(3) says:

Any regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

Being in your range bag does not count as "unloaded and securely wrapped."

Just unload it. Put it in the gun case it came in, or wrap it protectively and lock it in a tool boxor some other secure-able container.

The reference to a locked console was a case where I'll just bet thegun was loaded and ready for use, locked in the console,and the defendant was trying to wiggle outof it by saying that since it wasn't in his pockets it wasn't on or about his person.

nova

imported post

you mean I've been breaking the law every time I put my gun in a zippered case and then into my range bag and throw it on the back seat of my pickup? Or my mother's SUV?

who came up with these laws!!!????:banghead::banghead:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nova wrote:
not directing this at you in anger or anything, just a statement, but how the hell am I supposed to bring my guns to the range when I'm in my pickup? I sure as hell am not going to leave them in the bed of the truck even with my locking tonneau cover!
How about - OpenCarry ?

Honestly, this concealed stuff can really get you in trouble - did you know that the 2d offense of unlawful concealed carry is a felony??

--

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
nova wrote:
SNIP who came up with these laws!!!????:banghead::banghead:
People who don't drive pick up trucks.

obviously :cuss:

Mike wrote:
nova wrote:
not directing this at you in anger or anything, just a statement, but how the hell am I supposed to bring my guns to the range when I'm in my pickup? I sure as hell am not going to leave them in the bed of the truck even with my locking tonneau cover!
How about - OpenCarry ?

Honestly, this concealed stuff can really get you in trouble - did you know that the 2d offense of unlawful concealed carry is a felony??

--

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
yep it's a felony :banghead:

I can't believe this! :X

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The pickup truck problem is exactly why Virgiia should exempt vehicles from the scope of the concealed cary law - that's what a growoing number of states have done, inlcuding most recently Texas, a state which bans open cary generally.

VCDL.org needs more members, especially younger members, willing to lobby their legislators hard for this important freedom inside vehicles.

nova

imported post

Mike wrote:
The pickup truck problem is exactly why Virgiia should exempt vehicles from the scope of the concealed cary law - that's what a growoing number of states have done, inlcuding most recently Texas, a state which bans open cary generally.

VCDL.org needs more members, especially younger members, willing to lobby their legislators hard for this important freedom inside vehicles.
I agree. I feel there are a few laws in VA that I'd like to see gone, one is the vehicle carry, and also the one handgun every 30 days, and the "assault firearms" law. I plan on donating to the VCDL at the next Chantillygun show :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
SNIPI plan on donating to the VCDL at the next Chantillygun show :)

:) Hah!! Not so fast there, mister! VCDL isn't a donate-and-forget-about-it organization. The reason dues are dirt cheap is because the real contribution is time and work.

Letters to the editor. Lobby Day at the General Assembly. E-mails,faxes, andphone callsto legislators. Working the booth at gunshows (which is a tremendous amount of fun for any of you who haven't tried it.)

Don't get me wrong, we'll take the money. I'm just using this as a chance to plug VCDL. :)

LEO 229

imported post

nova wrote:
"securely wrapped" is how a few of my new guns came packaged NIB, the guns were wrapped in a plastic wrap with factory oil on the gun inside, and then put into the plastic hard case.

But today we carry guns in cases and range bags which isn't concealed carry...

As long as the guns are unloaded I do not believe you would have any problems while walking into the range.

The term security wrapped to me is rather vague and very open to interpretation. I see no difference in having a gun in a gun case, briefcase, assault rifle case,or a gun bag.

Nothing says it needs to be in a locked case nor does it describe thematerial it must be wrapped in. Wrapped could be butcher's paper or a bed sheet.

I would believe that a gun in any container that is unloaded being "transported" to a specific function would be OK while on foot that short distance. It would be another matter if you were carrying a gun in a bag that has easy access around town all day.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

FYI, the latest case in Virginia on the element of "about his person" as it relates to the concealed weapon statute is Pruitt v. Commonwealth, 650 S.E.2d 684 (Va. 2007), slip opinion here.