• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

are gun requests okay on this board?

uncoolperson

imported post

the top of my wish list is going to be my christmas present to myself, but i'm wondering about places with competetive pricing.... i'd rather not support a few of the local places as they always treat me as a child rather than a customer. if i go mail order it'll be the closest/cheapest place i can find.

so is it okay to post here, hey i want this, do you have any good ideas of a place to look/call? (as close to whatcom county as possible).

if not, mods that might read this please delete.

j2l3

imported post

I'm sure it's fine. Just keep it with an open carry fgocus and you should be okay. Mail order works but you still have to have a local gun shop involved unless you have your own FFL. Dealers can't ship directly to you.

amlevin

imported post

If you order from an out of state dealer you MAY save the sales tax but then you have to pay a fee to the receiving FFL (Dealer). This fee is in the area of $50 for most I have spoken to.

I have found good prices at Sam's in Everett and also at the Monroe Gun Show. Also have bought a few guns from Kesselring Gun Shop north of Mount Vernon. Long way away but they often have a good selection of New and Used in the gun I am looking for. A good used gun can be a good buy too. It depends on what you are looking for, what is in stock, and how "popular" the gun is.

uncoolperson

imported post

kesselrings isn't far from me (i'm in bellingham)... it's just everyone i have ever delt with there has treated me like i was 12.

i know about having to find an ffl... but figured buying outright from some local store would be a good idea.

I'm trying to find a Springfield - GI/MilSpec45 1911A1 Micro Compact, to match the full size 1911.

(one cc and one oc.... lots of .45 ball!)

Dave_pro2a

imported post

amlevin wrote:
If you order from an out of state dealer you MAY save the sales tax but then you have to pay a fee to the receiving FFL (Dealer). This fee is in the area of $50 for most I have spoken to.
Running the transfer through a pawnshop is often less expensive than using a regular gun shop.

Both got FFL, but the pawn shop will usually be happy to make $15 or $25 off 10 min of paperwork.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Don't forget Curio and Relic firearms. I need to get off my butt and get a C&R FFL. In a nutshell, this means you can have guns 50 years old and older shipped directly to you. Some exceptions include certain Yugo SKS', CZ 82 pstols, and a few other newer odds and ends, most too rare and expensive for most folks.

rickomatic

imported post

I'm sure it's fine. Just keep it with an open carry fgocus and you should be okay. Mail order works but you still have to have a local gun shop involved unless you have your own FFL. Dealers can't ship directly to you.

I'm not sure that is totally true. I have a FFL friend on the other side of the hump that says it is perfectly legal for him to mailorder a gun to me, since we are in the same state. Is there a state or federal law that actually prohibits mailorder within the same state of residece?
I've only done face to face with him so far simply because I like a good excuse to talk guns. ;)

BluesBear

imported post

rickomatic wrote:
I'm not sure that is totally true. I have a FFL friend on the other side of the hump that says it is perfectly legal for him to mailorder a gun to me, since we are in the same state. Is there a state or federal law that actually prohibits mailorder within the same state of residece?
I've only done face to face with him so far simply because I like a good excuse to talk guns. ;)

Well I'm pretty sure it is true.

It is lawful to ship a gun to another person in the same state. So an individual in Washington state could sell, and then ship, a firearm to another person, at another address inWashington state.

However if the seller has an FFL and the buyer does not, then the BATF form 4473 paperwork and the NICS check still has to be performed. And the 4473 has to be completed, and signed, in person.

rickomatic

imported post

BluesBear,
Sometimes I've been known for not being able to see the forest for the trees. Do you know of a citation in any of the Federal Gun laws that say the 4473 and NICS has to be done "face to face"? I always thought it did, but in my admittedly cursory browsing of my ATF regulations, I can't find that specifically noted. Now, I realize that all Federal laws can be hard to read, and I am no lawyer, but I can't find that stated anywhere. The 4473 instructions do seem to kind of imply it, but not in so many words. Is this just another case of laws and regulations being ambiguous, or am I truly missing something specific?
Not trying to argue the point. I'm just really curious, and looking to be educated. Thanks.

ps. the above mentioned instance would have included all required forms and checks, just not face to face.