• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RECALL ON SERPA HOLSTERS

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

http://dealers.blackhawk.com/images/downloads/dealerfiles/SafetyRecall122007.pdf

I got this in my e-mail today. This is just FYI. Sorry if it's already been posted.
[align=left]This safety recall notice applies only to the "High Wall" versions of Blackhawk Carbon Fiber SERPA Holster Models 410013BK-L, 410013BK-R, 410513BK-L, 410513BK-R, 410513CT-L, 410513CT-R and 990984CT-L (only) and Blackhawk Sportster Holster Models 413513BK-L and 413513BK-R manufactured by Blackhawk Products Group. [/align]

[align=left]Note that these holsters are intended to fit only Glock Models 20 and 21 and any caliber or configuration of the Smith & Wesson M&P. These holsters will be marked in regard to what they will "fit". These markings will state: "Glock 20/21"; "Glock 20/21 S&W M&P; or "Glock 20/21 S&W M&P .45". No other holster models, sizes or "fits" are affected by, or included in, this recall. [/align]

[align=left]As a result of a single incident, it has been determined that employing certain movements when attempting to place the Smith and Wesson M&P Pistol (in any caliber or configuration) into these "High Wall" holsters can cause the handgun to engage that "High Wall
[font=Arial,Arial]" [/font]and unexpectedly discharge if there is a round in the chamber and the trigger is in what Smith & Wesson calls "the striker fire action mode". A discharge or "firing" of the weapon in this manner could cause property damage or personal injury or death to the user and/or others. [/align]

[align=left]As such, and regardless of what firearm you are using with the holster, you should immediately determine if your holster is included in the two groups of holsters affected by this recall as described in this bulletin. If it is, you must stop using it and return it to Blackhawk Products Group by following the procedure contained in this bulletin. Upon receipt by Blackhawk Products Group you will be sent a replacement model for the same application as the holster that was returned. [/align]

[align=left]Please follow these steps to determine if your holster is among the limited group affected by this recall notice. In all cases, perform these checks with an empty (NO FIREARM INSTALLED) holster. [/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]There's more, but that's the gist of it..[/align]

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I tried it with mine, it took a good 15 minutes of trying to finally get that portion of the holster inside the triggerguard. Someone must've been doing some really Fancy gun handling to manage it. It's nice of them to make an improved version, though, if I was really worried, I'd take advantage of it. As it is, ....mehhh, methinks not

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It's good to know that even a single incident is enough for them to analyze and correct the problem. Makes me wonder how legitimate the other rumors about Serpa are. If there really were documented problems with the locking mechanism failing or the screws pulling through, wouldn't we be seeing one of these?