• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BD man faces gun-incident charges, Lots of oddities in this story.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.wiscnews.com/bdc/news/260906

JUNEAU — A 64-year-old Beaver Dam man faces criminal charges after allegedly holding a loaded gun to a woman's head while he was intoxicated.
Neil C.Lofberg, N8193 Highway W, Beaver Dam, was charged Monday with first-degree reckless endangerment, intentionally pointing a firearm at a person and disorderly conduct.
Those charges stem from Nov. 27 when a third-party witness reported that just before 7:30 p.m. Lofberg was intoxicated and holding a gun to the head of woman inside his home.
"The third party who called said the only person he will let close to that house would be Sheriff Todd Nehls, otherwise it will be a war," Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls said.
According to reports, Lofberg has more than 100 loaded firearms in his home, and "he would not be a very gracious host should (law enforcement) have to come into his house."
However, the woman told authorities on scene that she did not feel threatened by Lofberg and wished to return to the house. The sheriff's officers cleared the scene and Lofberg was not immediately arrested.
"Knowing the situation, as we've been there before, I did not feel it was prudent that we try to take anybody into custody that evening," Nehls said. "The statutes would say mandatory arrest, but you have to balance mandatory arrest with the risk you're going to put your people in. I knew if we went there the following day, we would take him into custody without incident . . . that night shots would have been fired."
Nehls said the woman was interviewed several times within the next 48 hours, and investigators and the District Attorney's office soon came to a consensus that Lofberg should be arrested.
"I was able to walk, with a detective, into that house unimpeded. The subject was very cooperative and was taken into custody," Nehls said.
But Lofberg's previous contacts with law enforcement have not been as smooth.
According to online records, in 2001 Lofberg reached a deferred prosecution agreement on charges of injury by negligent use of a firearm and operating a firearm while intoxicated after injuring a woman. Both charges were dismissed on prosecutor's motion in 2002.
"He shot the gun off. The round went through the floor and chipped the tile, and the chips injured her. So we actually arrested him that night for injury by negligent operation of a firearm. Pretty serious stuff," said Nehls, who responded to the scene as a lieutenant in May 2001.
Lofberg was released on a $5,000 signature bond following his initial court appearance Monday. Reserve Dodge County Circuit Judge James Olson ordered that Lofberg not possess any firearms or weapons, maintain absolute sobriety and have no contact with the victim.
He is scheduled to return to court for a preliminary examination Dec. 20. He could face more than 13 years in prison and $36,000 in fines if convicted on all three charges.
Aaron Martin can be reached at amartin@capitalnewspapers.com.