• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunfire scares shoppers at Pa. mall

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.newsdaily.com/TopNews/UPI-1-20071207-21155000-bc-us-mallshots.xml

A Pennsylvania mall was locked down Friday morning after police officers fired shots at a man suspected of planning an armored car robbery.

The incident at the South Mall in Allentown began when a mall employee noticed a vehicle with two men in it outside a Bank of America branch, The Allentown Morning Call reported. The men appeared to be observing an armored car.

Mall security officers called police, said Shawn Southard, a spokesman for the mall owner, Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust.

When officers approached the car, the driver got out, but the passenger moved into the driver's seat and took off. One officer had to jump aside to escape being hit and the other two opened fire.

The gunshots sent shoppers and store employees running for cover. The incident occurred two days after a disturbed 19-year-old killed eight people at a Nebraska mall before killing himself.

No injuries were reported. A suspect was arrested a short time later at a nearby housing complex.

Don't you be eyeballin' me, boy! (Unknown. Cool Hand Luke's sheriff maybe?)

Personal anecdote; I am one of the last 'toes-in-the-road' racetrack workers. It is a trivial matter to avoid being struck by an automobile. Kind'a like bullfighting.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Working at a bank for a number of years, you would be suprised at some of these "armored" companies. We dealt with a couple of true armored carriers, but there are also companies out there that have their employees transfer the valuables/cash in their personal vehicles with a manifest, with nothing but a firearm on their person.