• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Responding to an active shooter...

spurrit

imported post

If a pistol is all you've got, you have the shot, and you KNOW you can make it, take it. If you don't think you can make the shot, you can't. You'll just attract attention from someone who is better armed and more willing to die.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

So again I ask, is it better to die a martyr that missed or a too-careful sheeple?

The road to hell is paved with 'good intentions' like treating civil-combat as a video-game. IOW the road to Perdition is paved with 'what-ifs.'

Fight like you train, train as you will fight, even if it is not often - better a martyr than a sheeple.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

spurrit

imported post

I never suggested anyone goes out and volunteer to get shot. I'm just saying, if you CAN help, please do. If not, seek cover. Common sense is apparently, not all that common.

expvideo

imported post

spurrit wrote:
If a pistol is all you've got, you have the shot, and you KNOW you can make it, take it. If you don't think you can make the shot, you can't. You'll just attract attention from someone who is better armed and more willing to die.
+1

N00blet45

imported post

Say I was armed with a pistol at that shooting in Omaha. I'm with my wife (why else would I be at a mall unless she dragged me there?) and I hear gun shots. My priority will be to keep my family safe. As much as I'd like to be a hero I'd also like to be living. The best thing I can do for me and my family is to hunker down behind some cover with my pistol drawnand wait for the cops. I'm not John Rambo. If the opportunity to take a shot at the baddy presents itself I won't hesitate but I'm not going to rush headstrong into a situation that I might not be able to handle. If those victims were as concerned about their safety as they should have been they would have been armed and wouldn't need my assistance.

You may say that it is cowardly or that I have no heart but I'm going to do whatever I have to to walk out of the situation alive.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I'm not John Rambo. If the opportunity to take a shot at the baddy presents itself I won't hesitate but I'm not going to rush headstrong into a situation that I might not be able to handle.
I am a firm believer that people weigh the odds in those types of situations. A split second thought determines your actions. The decision being right, wrong or indifferent. When someone is drowning and you decide to dive in to save them, in a split second you determined your survival odds and acted accordingly. The outcome of your decision will be dermined in the end.

In the end only you can determine if your decision was headstrong. Others may thunk it, but only you can resolve your actions in your head.

imperialism2024

imported post

Dare I ask, then, why members of this board talk about "victim disarmament zones" and such when they don't intend to use their handguns to stop an attack if it's not convenient? I'm not calling anyone a coward, and I hope that I would be able to put a 270gr HP .44 or two into an active shooter, but it kind of disproves the idea that higher gun availability will prevent such tragedies as we've been having lately. In other words, if many people are busy carrying their 9mm's and .45's in a mall, and someone opens up with an AK, but none of the gun carriers fire a shot to stop him, what good do those guns do? How effective of a deterrent are armed civilians if none of them want to engage someone with a rifle?

spurrit

imported post

We arm ourselves for personal protection, not a deterrent. Get it through your head. YOU ARE NOT A COP OR A SUPERHERO! Hell, you're not even a regular hero.

You just wear your underwear on the outside.:celebrate

vermeire

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Dare I ask, then, why members of this board talk about "victim disarmament zones" and such when they don't intend to use their handguns to stop an attack if it's not convenient? I'm not calling anyone a coward, and I hope that I would be able to put a 270gr HP .44 or two into an active shooter, but it kind of disproves the idea that higher gun availability will prevent such tragedies as we've been having lately. In other words, if many people are busy carrying their 9mm's and .45's in a mall, and someone opens up with an AK, but none of the gun carriers fire a shot to stop him, what good do those guns do? How effective of a deterrent are armed civilians if none of them want to engage someone with a rifle?
I think the thing to realize here is there are many circumstances that would have to be right for an armed citizen to neutralize a shooter. The example above of a man with his wife doesn't go into how close they are to the shooter or if there are hundreds of people running all over the place.. All he stated was that he heard shots. I think his explanation of what he would do is exactly the point of carrying a weapon: protection. This extends to himself, family, friends, and then others; in that order. ( Some people may consider themselves second to loved ones, but I would argue that if you are incapacitated they would be next so you staing alive is paramount to their protection. ) Protection is not an offensive action; it means to guard or defend.

Now, what I have just stated would be totally different if one was in close proximity to the shooter and had a clean shot. (I don't remember which forum I saw it on, but I read a first hand account of the Omaha shooting. The writer would have been in the prime location for this type of action.) This shot would fall under the pretense of protecting others. However ensuring the safety of oneself, family, and friends would have to have been completed first.

To answer your last sentence: if enough of us are carrying there WILL be someone in the position to protect others as I have described it. If there are not enough of us armed then there will never be anyone who is "in the right place at the right time". This is why we must soften the aversion that the general population has to guns and to them being carried by the general population.

To the OP, nice thread. Not being in LE, I'll take it into consideration for my home invasion and SHTF plans.

DJ TURNz

imported post

Ok, as I understand it from the blog the guy was up one floor and could see the shooter over the railing.

What if that guy did have a gun and took 2 or3 controlled shots. Maybe hits the guy buy not an instant stop. So the guy turns and sees the guy shooting at him. He starts to shoot up at him. So the goodguy takes off running and leaves the mall.

I'm wondering how that would have looked in the news, or on these boards.

In the situation he was in, I'd be willing to take a few controlled shots at the shooter when he doesn't see me, but when he turns and suddenly it's an AK vs my 9mm at a distance, I don't like those odds and I don't plan to stick around and have a shoot out like that.

What say you?

imperialism2024

imported post

vermeire wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
I think the thing to realize here is there are many circumstances that would have to be right for an armed citizen to neutralize a shooter. The example above of a man with his wife doesn't go into how close they are to the shooter or if there are hundreds of people running all over the place.. All he stated was that he heard shots. I think his explanation of what he would do is exactly the point of carrying a weapon: protection. This extends to himself, family, friends, and then others; in that order. ( Some people may consider themselves second to loved ones, but I would argue that if you are incapacitated they would be next so you staing alive is paramount to their protection. ) Protection is not an offensive action; it means to guard or defend.

Now, what I have just stated would be totally different if one was in close proximity to the shooter and had a clean shot. (I don't remember which forum I saw it on, but I read a first hand account of the Omaha shooting. The writer would have been in the prime location for this type of action.) This shot would fall under the pretense of protecting others. However ensuring the safety of oneself, family, and friends would have to have been completed first.

To answer your last sentence: if enough of us are carrying there WILL be someone in the position to protect others as I have described it. If there are not enough of us armed then there will never be anyone who is "in the right place at the right time". This is why we must soften the aversion that the general population has to guns and to them being carried by the general population.

To the OP, nice thread. Not being in LE, I'll take it into consideration for my home invasion and SHTF plans.
Fair enough. We just need to be a little more truthful, then... it's not just that a certain location bans guns that makes it a target, but a lack of people carrying. Many of the arguments I've read here make it seem as though if only these places (malls, churches, schools, etc) allowed people to carry firearms, then these shootings would not be so devastating. But alas, this is not the case. Many gun carriers, who aren't within a few yards of the shooter, and not going to use their guns to stop an attack.

Like I've said, I'm not calling anyone a coward for not going into a situation where the odds are against them, or even for choosing not to fire their gun. That's a personal choice that I am in no place to judge. But let's not blame the "gun-free zones", then.

Marco

imported post

SNIP:
How effective of a deterrent are armed civilians if none of them want to engage someone with a rifle?
:what:
I agree with you.

[line]
Not addressed towards anyone:
If I was there I couldn't standby(hide/run away) and not attempt to engage.
Criticize if you will, you have your idea(plan of attack or lack of) and I have mine.
I would have a hard time living with myself ifI did nothing.
Not trying to flame anyone but I believe some that posted "they wouldn't engage" lack the skill and/or confidence in their skills.

[line]
There is another fact that everyone here seems to have forgotten. She was a former cop.
I didn't forget.
Not knowing what type of training she received I couldn't comment if it helped her or not.
Not cop bashing but I've met LEO that couldn't shoot their wayout of a paper bag and are as tactical as Elmer Fudd.

[line]

I don't think any sane person goes out with the idea thatthey want to be a hero, I know I don't.

[line]

Mindset and training goes a long way............................................
Sage words

Johnny Law

imported post

Here's another point to consider. As a civilian, you have no good way of identifying yourself to the responding Officers, and you may even be reported to Officers as "another gunman" who is shooting. People who are panicking just tell what they saw, andmay not understand.

Also there are many off duty Officers who also are armed. I seeone of mycoworkersor other cops I know almost every time I go in to a store of any size, or mall. These off duty cops could also mistake a civilian for one of the bad guys.

This could become a tragic situation, but it is a topic that any armed citizen had better think about if you intend to take action.

Marco

imported post

As a civilian, you have no good way of identifying yourself to the responding Officers,
As a Citizen.
:idea:The risk is no greater than ifI use my firearm to defend myself or family in almost any situation.

You are probably in the same situationas a non uniformed LEO.
There are many reported incidents of Cops shooting other UC/OD cops.

Johnny Law

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Either we are equal or we are not.

Broad-brushing with the same lipstick?
No offense was meant here. Just a consideration that may someday keep someone alive.

I run scenarios through my head all the time. Especially when I am on my way to a hot call. It's part of being tactical, smart, and staying alive. Then when something happens during a critical incident, you may have already decided in your mind how you will deal with it and stay safe.

Agent19,

The only advantage is that I have a badge I can hold up in the air, while I am yelling that I am a cop. You can bet your butt I'll be doing just that as I too don't want to be mistaken for a bg.

tarzan1888

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
......I run scenarios through my head all the time. ........ It's part of being tactical, smart, and staying alive. Then when something happens during a critical incident, you may have already decided in your mind how you will deal with it and stay safe.........

Which is what I do EVERY TIME I leave the house with a gun on my person.

I know that if I ever engage a BG that I will have to Identify myself to any and all who may witness or respond to the call.

There is an inherent risk that is taken by any who aid another person, especially if there is a gun involved.

In the Utah Mall shooting, the off duty LEO, was shouting who he was and what he was doing, all during the time he was engaging the BG. We must all be ready to do the same, IF we chose to engage.

Tarzan

Johnny Law

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
......I run scenarios through my head all the time. ........ It's part of being tactical, smart, and staying alive. Then when something happens during a critical incident, you may have already decided in your mind how you will deal with it and stay safe.........

Which is what I do EVERY TIME I leave the house with a gun on my person.

I know that if I ever engage a BG that I will have to Identify myself to any and all who may witness or respond to the call.

There is an inherent risk that is taken by any who aid another person, especially if there is a gun involved.

In the Utah Mall shooting, the off duty LEO, was shouting who he was and what he was doing, all during the time he was engaging the BG. We must all be ready to do the same, IF we chose to engage.

Tarzan
Well said,

What are your thoughts on how to identify one's self? I have thought about this a lot, but have no really good definitiveanswer.