• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private security officers vs open carry citizens

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have OCd numerous times in the Bank of America branch across from the Science Museum in Richmond. Friday was no different (a non-event) even stopped to have a conversation with the armed security officer. I almost couldn't keep a straight face as we chatted though and as I left I commented "Nice promotion."............He was wearing captains bars!

Either they were short handed and he/the boss was filling in or his boss must be at least a three star general! Imagine a Captain standing guard duty!

Yata hey

Attachments

• Captains bars.GIF
    Captains bars.GIF
    8.4 KB · Views: 347

soloban

imported post

Maybe the supervisor was watching the post while his employee grabbed lunch?

<gripe>
Personally I wish Security Companies would find a different insigina scheme. It kind of takes away from the prestige / importance of what that insignia represents. I think there are very few groups that should be allowed to wear military style insignia

1. Military
2. Police Officers
3. Fire Depts
</gripe>

sjhipple

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
It may even be an excellent idea to read up on what the founders referred to as "titles of nobility."
Titles of nobility are privileges given to one person passed on to that person's lineage without regard to the worth of his descendents. It's unearned favor, requiring only fealty. Military ranks and such are earned so not the same thing.

LEO 229

imported post

The rank indicatesa person's authority over another member of the same group.

The use of rank is good for large organisations where a person of higher authority may approachanother memberand command they do something. It also allows lower level members know who they can run to for answers.

So it is useful in places where you are may have little contact with all the members or you do not know everyone because there are too many.

Managers and assistant managers at other businesses do NOT wear rank. Some may display the title in words on their name tag but that does not always happen.

Finally.. the rank is good for citizens to quickly identify the person most likely in charge. That waythey can approach THAT person to report problems or concerns.

But I do find it humorous that some young knucklehead can wear captain bars when this is a rank that has some prestige.

LEO 229

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
In some security companies, rank also identifies job responsibility.
This is true....

And I would assume the CPT's jobis to go check on the lower level guards making sure they are not sleeping.. :p

Slowhand

LEO 229

imported post

Slowhand wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
In some security companies, rank also identifies job responsibility.
This is true....

And I would assume the CPT's jobis to go check on the lower level guards making sure they are not sleeping.. :p

Security Guard kills other Security Guards for sleeping on the job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/12/wthai112.xml

He definitely has the passion for the job.
Better not sleep on the job any more.... ;)

That is unreal... He wanted the people to get what they paid for.