• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blacksburg Area, SW Virginia OC Experiences

Neplusultra

imported post

Was in Blacksburg today. I live in Pearisburg which is about 35 miles west of Bburg. Stopped at Heavener's Hardware to pick up a few things. As usual no one said anything although I know all the employees know I've started OCing since I've done so for the last 5 or so times I've been in the store. Saw I lady I knew from church, who informed me her husband has Alzheimer's. I used to work for him so that was sad to hear.

Went to Lowe's in Cburg. I've OCed there often too. No issues. Had a nice coversation with the young and pretty cashier who stepped away from me after the transaction was done, don't know why. She never indicated any unease. My gun has a SS slide and against my black sweatshirt I'm sure most people noticed it.

On to Kroger on South Main to get some spiced shrimp to snack on! They didn't have any in the case so I asked the meat guy to cook me up a pound. Walked all over the store waiting. It was *packed* with college kids and family types. Walked right past the manager although I don't think he noticed. When I went back to the meat counter the meat guy definately noticed and kept sneaking peeks at it, ha! Kind of like a young kid who can't keep his eyes off some buxom ladies assets. He didn't say anything though. I thanked him and went on. The best spiced shrimp I've every had! Don't know what he did different but I'm going to have him cook it for me next time.

Decided to stop at 7-Eleven on Tom's Creek to get something to drink for the drive home. I got my drink and just as I was nearing the counter some young guy gets there at the same time. We get into a discussion of who should go first, I saying he shoud go first and he I. Lighthearedly he mentions something about getting into a fight about who should go first. I decided to go. I'm sure he hadn't noticed my gun until I got in front of him, he was on my left up til then. I would have liked to see his reaction. Nothing said by anyone.

Nothing exciting. Someday soon I plan to OC on VA Tech's campus. That may be a different story. I've CCed in the area for 2 years or so. I can't remember how I found this forum. But anyway I decided to start OCing at all times in Blacksburg since the shooting there.

Neplusultra

imported post

You'll notice that there will be no replies to my post, or this thread, since I'm the only OCer in the whole of SW Virginia. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it unless someone might be traveling through the area.

I just couldn't let a whole 20% of the state go unrepresented!

Marco

imported post

Not sure if Charlottesville is SW VA but the wife and I'll will be in the area mid Jan looking at houses.

John4me05

imported post

No Cville is well north (about 100 miles or so) of Bburg... I do take offense to the wondering of peoples reactions... It seems to me like you are wondering if it intimidates anyone... Just me personally but that is not what i want... I want everyone to feel as relaxed with me with a exposed firearm as if it were just a wrist watch..

Here is a story from my past experience with CC.. I was in a store in western central VA and went to the restroom with a 45 under my vest... While washing up afterward a young boy (10 at most) saw the gun and said DADDY GUN.. His father scooped him up and i immediately put my hands up some distance away from the general area of my CW and told them i meant no harm.. The father was unsure and the boy was about to pee himself.. The boy proceeded to say he didnt want me to hurt him or his daddy... I bent down and told the little fella that thats not what it was for... I told him that it was for my defense as well as anyone else who was being threatened or hurt by a mean bad person... I stated.. I carry this so no one will hurt me or you or your daddy or anyone else.. Being a father i almost broke into tears seeing this little one so afraid and thinking what my little ones would feel like in the same situation...

I totally understand OC and if i am somewhere i feel the need to openly express that i carry i will... But please for the sake of the law abiding people and innocent children dont make it seem like you are carrying for the fear factor or to intimidate them... And dont revel in the curiosity of what someone thought when they finally saw the firearm.. It almost seems terroristic in nature...

VAopencarry

imported post

John, Part of the reason a lot of people here OC is to 'normalize' guns. If the only image the kid knew of guns were news stories about wacko's shooting up schools and malls, of course he will be fearful. However, what if everytime he went to the store with his father he saw someone open carrying and nothing bad happened? Wouldn't the youngster start to get an idea that guns are not in and of themselves evil?

John4me05

imported post

I completely agree with what your saying.. It just seemed that the OG poster got some kind of thrill thinking the guy about crapped his pants when he saw he was OCing in the 7-11...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I completely agree with what your saying.. It just seemed that the OG poster got some kind of thrill thinking the guy about crapped his pants when he saw he was OCing in the 7-11...

John, you'll find a lot of different opinions among people who OC. A lot of it is regional and a lot social. Just like some people who remove their hat indoors and those that don't.
The only common thread is we all hopefully vote the same.

Just follow your beliefs!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I did not get the feeling at all that he (Neplusuktra) was looking to intimidate anyone - only reporting where he had been and what he had observed. I read people's reactions as well and occasionally wish I had seen some more clearly.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

We OC because we can, it's faster, acclimates people and makes a statement - OCers, in my observations, are more politically active them 100% CCers. If you don't OC that's okay too. Neither preference is wrong.

Yata hey

Attachments

• Fencing.gif
    Fencing.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 694

Neplusultra

imported post

Gentlemen, gentlemen.

Mr. John4me:

I take offense at your taking offense :^). One key principle that builds a civil society is that one shouldn't assume the worst of another's actions or words. That if you think I'm speaking non-sense it may be that *you* are misinterpreting me or that I'm not expressing myself well. You will often notice, especially during a debate for instance, that one side will take the other's words in the worst way so as to help supoprt their side of the debate. That's not good.

As others have pointed out, and I can assure you, I have no intentions of intimidating anyone. That is not why I carry. I certainly have no desire to cause anyone to crap their pants! Unless he's a bad guy :^).

Reasons I open carry:

1) To excercise my rights thereby helping to prevent infringements or loss of such.

2) To "normalize" the presence of guns in public, to reduce irrational fears the public may have as they observe my polite and friendly behaviour.

3) To create a civilian presense that there are people in public carrying weapons. This deters criminals

4) To provide protection for myself and those around me.

5) To make a political statement (especially if and when I OC on campus) that banning guns on campus only promotes and guarantees a high level of success (32!) of what happened, and that guns on campus could very easily have prevented it.

I would also like to point out that I never touch my gun or put my hands near it while in public. I normally carry chambered with safety off. If I'm going to be entering an area with a lot of people many of whom will be behind me I will often put the safety on prior to entering. I also will not talk about the gun unless the other person first brings it up or it is very obvious they are highly intimidated (like the child you mentioned). Then I would (haven't so far) say something to calm them down.

If you go back and read what I said you will see I did nothing, nor mentioned anything, that indicated I was trying to intimidate anyone. In each interaction we had a nice friendly conversation. If anyone was intimidated I couldn't tell and if they were again I can assure you it wasn't from anything I did or said.

Yes, I do get a certain amount of amusement out of some people's reactions. Perhaps that's my real motive :^). But no. I am aware, and I'm sure many here are also, that we must watch ourselves and practice some discipline to keep this from becoming a motive.

Neplusultra

imported post

Forgot about this one from Thanksgiving day:

I stopped at the Racetrack gas station in Christiansburg to gas up for the trip to my parent's and look at a map. There was a report of an accident on I-81 and I wanted to see what was the best way around it.

This is the same gas station that a police officer was shot and killed with his own gun not too long ago.

I walked in and asked what must have been the owner if he had a map I could look at, I told him about the accident and since he was closing shop and would be heading the same direction shortly he wanted to look at the map with me. I can't believe he didn't notice the gun but he gave absolutely *zero* reaction. At this point a woman walked in and saw my gun after a moment or two. She was noticeably nervous about it.

I asked if she had been on 81 and seen the accident. She said what accident? She was also heading in the same direction. So the three of us debated the best way around the accident at mile maker 135. A nice conversation. The lady really calmed down and I'm sure was comfortable by time I left. I thanked everyone and was on my way.

wchiang

imported post

I used to OC around the house on Tom's Creek down in Bburg. Back in 2005 when OC was starting to come out, my roommate and I called the Blacksburg police on open carrying a rifle (with CHP) on Main Street. They basically said there was no law against it and that they couldn't do much if we weren't brandishing it or loitering. However he advised against it as what would most likely happen is that the Blacksburg town board would call an emergency session and pass legislation against it. However, pretty interesting to see that at that time the Blacksburg Police were well aware of the laws on OC. :p

Neplusultra

imported post

wchiang wrote:
I used to OC around the house on Tom's Creek down in Bburg. Back in 2005 when OC was starting to come out, my roommate and I called the Blacksburg police on open carrying a rifle (with CHP) on Main Street. They basically said there was no law against it and that they couldn't do much if we weren't brandishing it or loitering. However he advised against it as what would most likely happen is that the Blacksburg town board would call an emergency session and pass legislation against it. However, pretty interesting to see that at that time the Blacksburg Police were well aware of the laws on OC. :p
Thank goodness for state preemption. Not sure when exactly thatlaw went into effect, but I know it wasn't long ago. Although I all for local authority and power I believe it's a good law since it would almost be impossible to travel from one locality to another since you'd have to know all the local laws for each and every locality. UGH!

I have yet to OC while walking around downtown or on campus. Usually just from my truck to a store and back. I'm looking forward to it once I have some business there.

John4me05

imported post

Neplus no disrespect meant but this is the part i was referring to

Neplusultra wrote:
I'm sure he hadn't noticed my gun until I got in front of him, he was on my left up til then. I would have liked to see his reaction. Nothing said by anyone.
Just struck me that way.. My apologies if it wasnt meant that way...

Neplusultra

imported post

John4me05 wrote:
Neplus no disrespect meant but this is the part i was referring to

Neplusultra wrote:
I'm sure he hadn't noticed my gun until I got in front of him, he was on my left up til then. I would have liked to see his reaction. Nothing said by anyone.
Just struck me that way.. My apologies if it wasnt meant that way...
No problem. It's a good thing that we make sure we all keep on the straight and narrow.

John4me05

imported post

Again my apologies for comming off harsh... But being as how this is a publicly viewed forum the Anti's are out there and could be seeing this... I just hate to give them any more ammo than they already have....

Neplusultra

imported post

John4me05 wrote:
Again my apologies for comming off harsh... But being as how this is a publicly viewed forum the Anti's are out there and could be seeing this... I just hate to give them any more ammo than they already have....
That's true. I will watch myself to make sure I don't write anything that can easily be interpreted in a way as you suggest. Both the speaker and hearer have their duties in civil discourse.

But if we do behave politely and really are not motivated to initimidate in the end it will be a good thing that they bring false arguments like that up. After numerous refutations by using our true "witness" everyone and who knows perhaps even them will get the message that guns are not evil but good in the hands of good law abiding citizens.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
wchiang wrote:
Thank goodness for state preemption. Not sure when exactly thatlaw went into effect, but I know it wasn't long ago. Although I all for local authority and power I believe it's a good law since it would almost be impossible to travel from one locality to another since you'd have to know all the local laws for each and every locality. UGH!
Actually, the initial version of state preemption, which prohibited the creation of new gun laws by cities and counties, was passed in 1987. The only thing the 2004 change did was to make all of the grandfathered local gun laws invalid as well.

By 2005, it had been 18 years since Blacksburg could have legally passed any gun laws.

Neplusultra

imported post

I was in Blacksburg again today. Visited Dick's Sporting, Lowes, Builder's Square, Kroger's, and Petsmart. No problems in any of them. I seem to remember a few concerned looks but thats one of the reasons I carry. To let the "concerned" folks know that there's no reason to be concerned. I was very polite to everyone.

I intentionaly had my gun exposed even though my sweatshirt would have easly concealed it if I had wanted to. Interacted with quite a few people, including the same seafood guy as before at Krogers who again cooked up some spiced shrimp for me that was absolutely perfect!

cmbf117

imported post

Mmm...I love seafood. I'm gonna have to check out this shrimp guy. :D

Still in NOVA until Saturday, so no OCing in Bleaksburg/Christiansburg for another couple of days. But I'd be more than happy to grab a quick lunch or something with other SW VA carriers sometime.

Almost forgot...I almost started this same thread, glad I clicked past a few pages first.