• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello from Baton Rouge

aroundlsu

imported post

Hey guys. I'm a 30 year old guy who carries daily in the Baton Rouge area. I've had my CCW permit since Sept 1 and have carried concealed 24/7 since. I've also taken a 20 hour combat pistol course at the LSU police academy taught by Tom Givens from Nashville. Already I've used my pistol once to persuade someone attempting to break into my office on Florida near Foster while my girlfriend and I were working late.

I'll admit before I obtained my CCW permit I open carried and also concealed carried off and on for the last 9 years since the day I turned 21 and bought my first H&K USP in .40 S&W. Illegally carrying a full size H&K USP for years on end will teach you a thing or two about how to keep the thing hidden.

Now that I carry a much smaller H&K P7 with a permit the last few months have been a breeze. I usually carry IWB with an untucked shirt but a few times I've had to dress up in a suit and got out of my car at gas stations with the gun open. When I'm wearing a jacket I sometimes wear a USP .45 OWB which might as well be open carry since I think half the population of Baton Rouge can see it under the jacket. So far, no incidents to report except for a few kids I heard at PF Changs on Corporate arguing on whether it was a gun or a cell phone under the jacket.

I usually practice at Precision Firearms twice a month or more. Like many of you, I had very bad first impressions there but, really, once they get to know you aren't some crazy idiot with a gun the employees really warm up and treat you well. I also shoot at Red Stick Firearms since I have a Class III silencer sitting there waiting on paper work to clear and it's the only place I can use it until the papers come back from the ATF (picture attached below). But Red Stick doesn't allow rapid fire or drawing from a holster so that really ruins it for me.

I noticed a few of you were trying to get together for an open carry meet up. I'd be very interested in that. None of my friends or co-workers are gun enthusiasts and in fact only a few of them even know that I'm packing so it would be nice to sit back and talk about our experiences. I live right on the "front lines" of mid-city Baton Rouge within a javelin throw of the Texas Club.

Attachments

• 2025526563_8f1585652a.jpg
    2025526563_8f1585652a.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 420
imported post

"Right on the front lines," eh? LOL.........For years, I worked IN Mall City on Renoir....... until the day I came out to go home around 3pm, only to find my truck's hood up, battery missing. There were many instances when a gun would have come in handy in THAT neighborhood. Just curious: why do you feel the need for a silencer? I don't have a problem with that, you're (supposed to be) free to do that. Are you one of those guys who'd prefer to drop the bad guy and walk away without getting involved/indicted? As one of the few persons who open carries in BR, I'm always up for meeting anyone else who chooses to provide their own self protection vs dialing 911 and waiting to die. What about CiCi's pizza on Corporate?

aroundlsu

imported post

Tactically, silencers are a great idea. They protect you and the bad guy's hearing and suppress the muzzle flash. I don't actually recommend them to be used during a home invasion or any other defensive encounter because number one you're going to lose your expensive toy to the evidence locker. Number two, the NFA community doesn't need that kind of publicity. We are still allowed to buy these kinds of toys because no one has yet ever committed a crime with a legal Class III weapon.

The best reason for a silencer is it opens up more places for you to shoot. A 9mm or .22 silencer is very quiet and an indoor shooting range could be set up in your garage without your neighbors having any idea. You can buy a complete Walther P22 with the silencer and bullet trap for under $500 (picture below). If anyone needs help on where to get it and what paperwork is required in Louisiana just ask. I learned Louisiana has a few extra hoops to jump through so other internet guides about buying NFA aren't exactly accurate. Basically, if you can legally buy a gun then you can buy a silencer.

No, I would never leave a defensive encounter without calling the police. Even if just drawing on a bad guy until he runs off requires a call to 911. Who's to keep the bad guy from calling 911 and saying some crazy guy "just pulled a gun". You always want to be the first one to make the call.

CiCi's is great. Anyone else interested?

Cheap Walther silencer setup (not mine, but you can buy or rent it locally at Red Stick):

Attachments

• p22withtac65.jpg
    p22withtac65.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 404
imported post

As someone who shoots a .357, I can relate to the noise factor. They are LOUD. Unlike most, I have access to places to shoot where noise isn't a factor and appreciate the ability to use just about anything without having to worry about bothering "the neighbors." There's a guy within a few blocks of Broadmoor Sr. High school who (at the time) would open the back door and fire across his 200 ft back yard at a target with a .45 or other assorted weapons.......LOL.........not that I condone that in a subdivision. Personally, I'm not a big fan of having to fill out ANY paperwork for a public servant to exercise what I consider to be a right. To each his own. If there is NO basis in law for the cops to protect me and mine, there cannot be any lawful basis for me to call them. At least that's my take on what I've read over the years. On more than one occasion, I've taken care of business without calling anyone for assistance. Certainly the bad guy isn't going to call, unless he's really stupid. For a good example, see today's Advocate. Seems the bad guy stuck up a guy in NBR, had his gun taken away by the so-called victim after he took the victim's wallet. The bad guy ran off, hours later he went to the victim's house !!!!! Since the bad guy had the vic's wallet, he also had the vic's address. Talk about balls, the bad guy asked the vic if he wanted to swap his wallet for the gun.........right now, the bad guy is sitting in parish prison on one count of armed robbery.

charlie12

imported post

"I live right on the "front lines" of mid-city Baton Rouge within a javelin throw of the Texas Club."

Mall City??? :what:I used to deliver newspapers around there.

aroundlsu

imported post

I live in a house on the south side of Florida. I work in Bonne Carre Business Center and enjoy living directly across the street from my office. Bad guys be damned.