• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why me?

Maveric

imported post

Don't know if similar situations have happened to you, but what happened to me less than an hour ago allways makes me feel a little paranoid, but perhaps that is the californian in me.
Tonight a white van pulled into our driveway, and we are somewhat in the country out here, at 11.30 at night strange vans parking in my driveway is allways strange to say the least. It was a white van, with nothing visible on it, a huge dodge high top, something that looks like a couple of burglars would be in, or perhaps a contractor.
My sister in law comes into the room mentioning about this strange van, my brother and me where talking and he gets up and asks if it was still there, and as he is leaving the room he tells me to be prepared, so i get up and grab my shotgun, and a few shells, and proceed to follow him out my bedroom door.
By the time I get to the front room, gun in one hand, shells in the other about to load them into the gun, my brother steps outside, looks down, and sees a fedex package for him, which is two days late.
I don't know if the fedex driver realizes that its probably a bad idea to be delivering packages to houses out in the semi-country at 11.30 at night.
Although I'm allways glad I never have to shoot anyone, but I still find it unnerving and afterwords when the adrenaline finally makes you shake a bit, you think to yourself, did I do right? or am I just paranoid?

Yall take it easy.

P.S I wasn't born in california thank god, i was born in georgia, and lived in the country, my parrents happend to drag me to california when i was 7, so its not my fault! lol

EFG83

imported post

A few things...

1. You are not paranoid...that is extremely strange.

2. I would call the FedEx customer service number and let them know that it is a bad idea to have unmarked vehicles deliver packages late at night.

3. Why was the shotgun not already loaded?

IanB

imported post

One other possibility:

FedEX delivered your package to the wrong address, and the person who recieved your package delivered it to you.

Maveric

imported post

Nah it was over before I could load it, which makes me think I shoulda grabed the 92 out of the safe, that's allways loaded.
My brother left the room before me saying to get ready, took me id say 10 seconds to open the box of shells grab a few, and then grab the gun, i left the room following where he went and I was about to load it, meaning i had the shell in the reciever bay, when i saw that he had the door opened, usually a good sign, so i paused like that ready to finish shoving the shell in the shotgun or to take it out, he came back inside with a package, and a happy but pissed look on his face, happy to get the package pissed that they delivered it that way, thats when i took the shell back out and put the shotgun away.
As for complaining? I guess I could...wasn't my package though so I'll leave it up to my brother.

On a second note, I'm glad I'm not paranoid, theres that little voice I picked up in california from all the anti-gun fanatics out there, that tells me that not only is grabbing a gun for any strange thing, but that I cant shoot anyone till they actually break into my house, and why even then call the police.
The country boy in me says, police too far away, gun and ammo is readily availible, although it still makes me feel slightly like judge, jury, and exicutioner.
Guess that ain't such a bad thing, I'd rather be known as paranoid then a victim.

Edit: since you posted before i did, fedex website said they delivered it at 11:48 pm.

anyway, thanks for the feedback.
Yall take it easy. :D

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I definitely have a problem with Fedex delivering a package at midnight, and given the circumstances of your case, I probably would've done the same. Got a shotgun ready to go and a pistol in the safe.