• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ferry Boat Stop

Wheelgunner

imported post

I have been carrying openly for the last couple of days and spent today at the range. (won a little money from a bolt guy with a 25-06 using "Merry Infidel", but that is another story).

So I drive on line to the ferry and I am OC'ing my Smith. I drive on-board and leave my car to use the men's room. Ferry is full of the usual Bainbridge traffic plus a bunch ofwalk on's as this is Sunday night and a lot of people are getting back from the game; including this nasty looking couple in an orange VW bus with California plates and the usual "Kerry/Edward and "Free Tibet" bumper stickers. As I pass them they practicallychoke ontheirno-whip-vegan-sustainable-wage-latteas they spot the holstered Smith. I finish in the Men's room and get myself a cup of coffee and go back down to my car and standing next to itare the Granola-heads and a WSP officer in the straight brimmed hat. I approach and smile. "Remember, (I tell myself) I have graduated from the Agent 47 School of OC carry. I am ready. I will quote chapter and verse. I will shout my freedom to the very rooftops!"

Me: Hi officer!:D

Officer Calloway: Hi. (He glances at the holster.) Look I got this call of a man with a gun. (Glances at my car). Do you have a Weapons permit?:question:

Me: You bet! (I hand him the permit):D

Officer Calloway: Um you know, with the shooting at the Catholic church (?) and the Virginia Tech, well, people are bound to get excited.:(

Me (slightly confused): (Huh?) Well we don't want people excited...:?

Officer Calloway: Your not doing anything illegal...but the weapons permit says "Concealed" so it might be better if you cover it.;)

Me: The permit lets me carry it loaded in the car. (At the word "loaded" the Granola heads draw an audible breath. Here is their fantasies fulfilled. A right wing gun nut is going to get his ass arrested right in from of them!):what:

Officer Calloway: Yes, well have a good day. Here is your permit. (Waves):)

This entire contact was very positive. I could tell that Calloway was only going through the motions because he had to determine if I was a crazy threat or just a regular chap. He sized me up in a split second and was completely professional. Hey! No fair! I wanted a hassle so I could quote out the RCW's!:banghead:

The priceless part was the look on the Granola Heads faces as he strode away.:what:

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

So you didn't have a "Cops vs. Citizen" encounter?!? The "Gestapo" didn't arrest you and chop off your family jewels?

Sorry, in all seriousness, though. Good encounter. And that's usually what it comes down too: sizing you up to see if you're a normal person, of a wacko. Glad you were able to figuratively give the finger to the BB island granolas. I had to go over there for business once. Liberal doesn't even BEGIN to describe it!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Good report - I like your cheerful demeanor and approach, and explanation that you have the permit to OC in the vehicle:cool:

Note to Washington State - time to join the majority of states where no permit is required to carry a loaded handgun in your own vehicle!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
The priceless part was the look on the Granola Heads faces as he strode away.
Great encounter, well handled!!!

With the added benefit of shocking the psuedo-sophisticates!!

Stealth Potato

imported post

Mike wrote:
Note to Washington State - time to join the majority of states where no permit is required to carry a loaded handgun in your own vehicle!
Heck, I think it's high time we transitioned to Vermont Carry! Frankly, I've enjoyed carrying openly without a license - I'm still getting my CPL as soon as it's convenient, but it feels good to exercise a Right without having to ask permission from the government first!

Anyway, great story, Wheelgunner! It's always great to see pompous, arrogant people deflated a bit, especially when they're the naive Aquarius-and-granola types, who so often pretend to be all liberal and enlightened, but really have no problem with authoritarianism when it supports their agenda!

And hopefully your polite, friendly demeanor (and the extremely professional response of the WSP trooper) will make them think just a little, and maybe realize that gun owners are actually normal, rational people. But maybe I'm being too optimistic. :p

Mainsail

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Officer Calloway: Your not doing anything illegal...but the weapons permit says "Concealed" so it might be better if you cover it.;)

I doubt he said that. He probably said, "You're not doing anything illegal...but the weapons permit says "Concealed" so it might be better if you cover it...

:p

Trigger Dr

imported post

If you really want to mess with the minds (do they really have one) of theGronola gang, you can simply tell them NO when they ask if you have a permit. If you read carefully at the top it says

[align=center]STATE OF WASHINGTON[/align]
[align=center]LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED PISTOL[/align]
[align=left]Gee what about a revolver?[/align]

gregma

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Officer Calloway: Um you know, with the shooting at the Catholic church (?) and the Virginia Tech, well, people are bound to get excited.:(
Good enounter. I wonder what the reaction had been if you had answered this:

"Yeah, too bad there weren't more citizens carrying openly to make those kind of shooting less likely!"

:D

gregma

imported post

Mike wrote:
I believe the term has something to do with ice cubes in hades?

gregma

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Mike wrote:
Anyway, great story, Wheelgunner! It's always great to see pompous, arrogant people deflated a bit, especially when they're the naive Aquarius-and-granola types, who so often pretend to be all liberal and enlightened, but really have no problem with authoritarianism when it supports their agenda!
They still got their thrill, and I'm sure commented back at the commune about making a gun nut have to answer to a COP! Once the cop showed up and confronted the gun nut, they got their jollies for the week.

Agent 47

imported post

That's awesome, Show those Birkenstock wearing hippies how we do things in Washington. It's great when the antes get to see the cops hold up your rights.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Have we discovered an effective hippy repelant?

38AGE-00-4-22-06-0075.jpg

Do they make a thigh holster that that thing? :celebrate

Run hippy, run!

Wheelgunner

imported post

I doubt he said that. He probably said, "You're not doing anything illegal...but the weapons permit says "Concealed" so it might be better if you cover it...

Damn it! Caught in a misspelling! Sigh! You are right, Mainsail...

Dave, that is the smallest rifle I have ever seen. Can you really grip it up forward?

Just read the news about the shooting at the Christian school in CO. Now I know what he was talking about.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Dave, that is the smallest rifle I have ever seen. Can you really grip it up forward?
It's not a rifle, it's a pistol :celebrate

It's also one of the shortest AK pistol I've seen too (I've seen 1 shorter, where the guy was trimming on the back end too).

Usually they have a longer handguard and gas tube, plenty of real estate to grab on to.