• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

marteney1

imported post

Hello all. I'm a newbie to the firearms world (very little experience, none with a handgun... plan to fix that this winter) and was trying to hunt down some information. During the long breaks from school (summer and winter) I work for a fireworks company, and spend 15+ hoursa day in a tent by myself, usually in a less than ideal neighborhood.This has resulted, more than once, in my having to call the police to deal with an issue of theft and/or general feeling of insecurity (i've been openly stolen from multiple times).

I was curious as to the difference between concealed carry and open carry. What does each entail? Open carry = firearm in holster on belt, shirt tucked in, firearm in plain view, loaded or unloaded? What are some common ages for open carry to be legal? What kinds of licenses or training, if any, are required for open carry? What's the deal with Florida's concealed carry program? I've heard it's reciprocal with many other states, but like I said, I'm a newbie, just repeating what I've heard.

I'm getting ready to go to Louisiana for fireworks season again, and I realize that I probably won't be getting anything taken care of so that I can OC down there this year, but thought I'd get the ball rolling so I could feel more secure and protected in future seasons. I'm from Wichita, KS, go to school in Springfield, MO, and do fireworks seasons in St.Charles, MO and Lafayette, LA, so I was unsuccessfully trying to hunt down information regarding OC in these areas. Any information you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. It seems as though you all are very knowledgable. Thanks, guys.

jimwyant

imported post

Welcome!

Most firearm laws and definitions are state-specific, but some (like KS) allow regulation at the local level. Did you check the individual state pages of the "mother" site of this forum, opencarry.org for the states that you are asking about? Most of your questions will probably be answered there. If you still have specific questions after checking that out, come back and post your specific question and we'll try to help you out.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Another thing to keep in mind, besides your local laws, is company polocy. Most companies aren't too keen on tehir employees carrying a weapon while working, or even on company property.

However you might get them to be lenient becasue of the situation you are in... then again talking to most managers is like talking to a brick wall... :banghead:

marteney1

imported post

Ha. Yea, that was the only thing that worried me about that. It's my uncle's company, though, and I'm the manager of that location I'm going to be at. Thanks for the help.

nickerj1

imported post

Go here for for legal information regarding concealed carry:
http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/

According to this site, a lot of states recognize a Kansas CCW permit, including Missouri, but not Louisiana.

And unless you have an address in a non-Kansas state then any CCW permit you get in another state would not be recognized in Kansas as it would be a "non-resident" permit.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to get just one permit and carry in those three states.

If you only have a residence address in Kansas:
You would need the Kansas permit to CC in Kansas.
You would need a non-Kansas permit that is recognized in both Missouri and Lousiana to CC in those two states.

If you have a residence in another state that is recognzed by Kansas:
You would only need that state's CCW permit, if it is recognized by Missouri, Louisiana, and Kansas.

Having said all that. This is the quote from the LA statute regarding Reciprocity:

A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states.

Kansas honors the Louisiana CCW permit (though only-residents), so I'm not sure why Louisiana isn't honoring the Kansas permit. Try emailing the LSP:

concealed-handguns@dps.state.la.us

And asking if they honor the Kansas CCW permit. If they don't, try emailing the LA attorney general and asking if he can declare it as officially accepted under reciprocity or inquiring why it isn't accepted.