• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County Commisioner's Meeting

Ajetpilot

imported post

Here is a report on the Kitsap County Commissioner’s briefing regarding the prohibition on firearms carry in County parks.

I was well received, but unfortunately I was the only citizen who was able to attend.

As soon as this issue was brought before the meeting, they went into “executive session”. I’m not sure what it was that the County Commissioners didn’t want the citizens to hear. What could be so devastatingly important and confidential that mere citizens should not be privy to? I guess we’ll never know.

When the “executive session” was concluded, I was ushered back into the conference room, and I was informed that they had decided NOT to change Kitsap County Code to conform to Washington State law. They said they had issues with carrying firearms in County buildings. I pointed out that the KCC I was concerned with is titled “Firearms in parks”. What has that got to do with buildings? I invoked the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, Section 24 of Article 1 of the Washington State Constitution, and when the County Administrator (a lawyer) tried to tell me that the KCC prohibition to carrying firearms in parks had NOT been repealed, I read them parts of RCW 9.41.290. Good grief! What part of

"Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed..."
don’t they understand? They simply do NOT want to conform/comply with Washington State law!

Was there anything good that came out of the meeting? Sure. They put me down with a smile on their face, and they were very cordial. How sweet.

I told them (with the Under Sheriff sitting right next to me) that I would continue to carry openly in the parks on a daily basis, because I knew that I was protected by Washington State law.

The Commissioners said they would continue to look into the issue. Isn’t that nice?

Why did I even bother? I’m demoralized, exasperated, and fed up, which I guess is exactly where they want me to be.

If anyone else wants to write letters or phone, I’ve got all the contact information. Any help would be appreciated.

Mainsail

imported post

Wow Bruce, it sounds like they put you through the wringer. I thought Lonnie was going with you? Had I known you were going alone I would have taken the afternoon off. Thanks for the hard work and don’t feel demoralized. Let me know when you’ll be out and I’ll join you for some OC.

amlevin

imported post

What you got was the "we know you are right but we don't want to publicly admit it because then we would look like fools and idiots" attitude.

If State Law has preempted that's it. If they want to try and enforce a law contrary to state law when it is specifically repealed then let them. It will then force them to contribute to the cash flow of an attorney and make a contribution to your retirement fund.

When push comes to shove nobody is going to be arrested for carrying in a park or any other public area not specifically prohibited by law (schools, bars, etc.).

carhas0

imported post

Thanks for making it to the meeting, Bruce. I wish I could have been there; it's too bad more people couldn't show up.

I think it's time for me to write another letter expressing my dissapointment that even with at least one commissioner's legal experience, they failed to agree with us. I will stress to them that this is not a matter of what they feel like doing, under guise of carrying out their constituents wishes, but a legal matter that is already settled. Bringing KCC into compliance with state law will only serve to protect the county and the tax payers. Furthermore, I will tell them I was not at all happy to have been invited to the meeting only to find out I wouldn't have been able to hear anything except their decision, announced after the "executive session."

I would like to see the report the county prosecutor wrote at the request of Nancy Grennan, which was supposed to inform the commissioner's decision. It would appall me if the prosecutor suggested that they change the ordinance and the commissioners ignored even that.

amlevin

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
Thanks for making it to the meeting, Bruce. I wish I could have been there; it's too bad more people couldn't show up.

I think it's time for me to write another letter expressing my dissapointment that even with at least one commissioner's legal experience, they failed to agree with us. I will stress to them that this is not a matter of what they feel like doing, under guise of carrying out their constituents wishes, but a legal matter that is already settled. Bringing KCC into compliance with state law will only serve to protect the county and the tax payers. Furthermore, I will tell them I was not at all happy to have been invited to the meeting only to find out I wouldn't have been able to hear anything except their decision, announced after the "executive session."

I would like to see the report the county prosecutor wrote at the request of Nancy Grennan, which was supposed to inform the commissioner's decision. It would appall me if the prosecutor suggested that they change the ordinance and the commissioners ignored even that.
An FOIA request would prove or disprove that point.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Ajetpilot

The park at Jackson and Lund was just taken over by the county, and has a nice area set aside for HorseShoe pitching...has a covered area for bar b q

Maybe an OC horseShoe party/picnic could happen some weekend...We can invite the commissioners.

Jered

imported post

Get a lawyer, then when you get arrested in a county park for legally carrying a firearm, sue them for false arrest.

That might change their mind.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

G27

imported post

Sorry I wasn't able to make it Bruce. I really was planning on to but things came up. And since they didn't remove this invaild law I am sure that we will see them in court again. :)

Ajetpilot

imported post

Thanks for the support, Mainsail. I read that you are meeting sv_Libertarian for coffee next week. If it’s in our neck of the woods, can I join you? PM me.

Sean-1286: Thanks for your past letters to the Commissioners. I don’t know how much good more letters will do. They may have tabled this issue indefinitely. I think they don’t want to appear “soft on guns” to their liberal constituents, so action may never be taken. I don’t know if the prosecutor actually committed his brief to paper. After I was booted from the room, it was the prosecutor’s representative who briefed the Commissioners. We will never know what she said.

Trigger Dr: There are so few of us that open carry on the peninsula, and our schedules are so varied, that a picnic might be a real disappointment. When the weather warms a bit, however, it would be interesting to see what kind of a turnout we could get. I haven’t played horseshoes for a long time, but maybe you could give me some pointers.

G27: Thanks for trying to get there. I’m retired, so my schedule is pretty open. Hope to meet you sometime.

Now, I guess the ball is in the sheriff’s court. He knows that I open carry at the Bandix Dog Park, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of his deputies there some morning.

I took an oath over forty years ago to “support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” I’m still bound by that oath. I support it now by exercising my constitutionally guaranteed rights, because a right not exercised is a right lost.

The dogs are getting anxious to go visit their friends, so I’ve got to head for the park now. Wish me luck.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Son of a b----!

Will have to see if I can get over there sometime.

The way I see it is sooner or later they will have to change the law. If you get arrested/cited for OC, then a court will have to see things your way.

Methinks a letter writing campaign is in order. Beyond that, retain a lawyer... Just not the week for OC'ers is it? :cuss:

:banghead::banghead:

eBratt

imported post

Yesterday was my wife's birthday, so I wasn't planning on attending...and to top it off, the whole house was sick. Sorry I couldn't make it.

I'd be up for a gathering, especially anytime here in December as I am out of school for the rest of the year. Warmer weather picnics sound great as well.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
When the “executive session” was concluded, I was ushered back into the conference room, and I was informed that they had decided NOT to change Kitsap County Code to conform to Washington State law. They said they had issues with carrying firearms in County buildings.
So does WA law allow localities to ban gun carry in County buildings?

just_a_car

imported post

With what they said to you, it sounds like getting a FOIA in for the whole proceeding and sending it to the State AG would be prudent with a letter telling them that this locality is knowingly and willingly violating state law.

My guess is that they'll likely get a nice little phone call about STFU'ing and changing both their attitudes and laws.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Had a great day at the park. The Sheriff didn't show up, so maybe he and the prosecutor have decided that any action against me would be a non-starter. Then I had a lot of errands to run, and I OD'ed the entire day. As usual, no problems.

Mike wrote:
According to RCW 9.41.300, the onlygovernment buildings that one is not allowed to carry in are: restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility; those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings; the restricted access areas of a public mental health facility; and the restricted access areas of a commercial service airport. Kitsap County used to have only one building that housed the courthouse and the county administration. About a year ago, a new building was completed, and the county administration left the courthouse. They put up a "no weapons allowed" sign at the entrance, and that should not be there. In order to attend the meeting, I had to store my firearm in the area provided at the entrance to the courthouse and walk across the street to the new administration building. That is not in accordance with Washington State law, so they do have a problem that will have to be solved. However, yesterday I was only focused on the parks issue.[/b]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Mike wrote:
According to RCW 9.41.300, the onlygovernment buildings that one is not allowed to carry in are: restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility; those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings; the restricted access areas of a public mental health facility; and the restricted access areas of a commercial service airport. Kitsap County used to have only one building that housed the courthouse and the county administration. About a year ago, a new building was completed, and the county administration left the courthouse. They put up a "no weapons allowed" sign at the entrance, and that should not be there. In order to attend the meeting, I had to store my firearm in the area provided at the entrance to the courthouse and walk across the street to the new administration building. That is not in accordance with Washington State law, so they do have a problem that will have to be solved. However, yesterday I was only focused on the parks issue.[/b]
OK, so now that the County has stated that they will leave the preempted park ordinances banning gun carry in parks on the books, you might as well move on the challenging the County Building gun ban - if you are sure they are preempted, just walk in open carrying.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Mike wrote:
OK, so now that the County has stated that they will leave the preempted park ordinances banning gun carry in parks on the books, you might as well move on the challenging the County Building gun ban - if you are sure they are preempted, just walk in open carrying.
I'll tell you what, Mike. When I take my shower tonight, I'll check and see how big a set I have. Do you know how many deputies are walking around that building? If Mainsail is ready to come and bail me out, I might do it. ;)

Trigger Dr

imported post

One part of 9.41.300 that bothers me in this scenario is" those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings;"

Are there any of the court staff having offices in the building?

Jim

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Does Kittsap have an ordinance banning gun carry in their admin building? If so, what does it say? Or are are these toads just putting up no gun signs? Do they have metal detectors?

Once we know the answers to those questions, a strategy may become easier to deduce.

Perhaps start off slowly by asking the County manger to remove the illegal signs. This will get the ball rolling - if they have a good story why state law allows them to ban guns, they will likley tell you.

I'm going to sticky this thread for now - I think you are on to somthing and can force them to take down the no-gun signs even if they won't back down and repeal their park gun ban ordinance.

And let's keep Mainsail in reserve for now :cool: