• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

P3AT and RIA 1911 prices..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Cliff notes to avoid rambling: Is $280 a good price for a new Keltec P3AT? Is $380 a good price for a RIA 1911?

The local pawn shop has a brand new, in box Keltec P3AT that someone ordered and never picked up for $280. The local range is selling a Rock Island Armory 1911 for $380. Are these good prices? Which one is the better deal? I'm going to buy one soon, and I'm leaning towards the P3AT since it seems like a good deal that doesn't come along often, even though I'd rather have a 1911.

Eventually I'll have both. The P3AT will be for it's size and caliber (already have a .380). I want a gun small enough to hide almost anywhere if necessary. The 1911 will be because it's anice lookinggun and will be fun to shoot. I already have a full-sized carry pistol, so the 1911 wont be filling a need, just a desire. I guess the 1911 would be more comfortable IWB than my SW99, so that will be a slight benefit.

Oh, btw, I know most of you will say BUY THE 1911 just 'cause they're awesome, but I'm looking at this from the money and practicality side right now. When I say I will have both eventually, I mean it :D.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:

...and for $389 I can get the tactical, with the beaver tail and ambi safety. Me like! Problem is, ordering online I'll probably have to pay about $50 to a FFL holder to receive it for me, plus shipping on top of that. Sooo $329 could turn into $380 real quick.

What about the P3AT?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Re: P3AT

It depends if you get a good one or not. Reports on reliability make it suspect. I have one which has been 100% reliable, so I count myself among the fortunate ones. Yes they look cheap, but it's not exactly a collector's item nor generally worn openly. It's called a "pocket gun" for a reason. It's dumped in your pocket, and once it's there it's so small and light you'll almost forget it's there.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

DreQo wrote:
What about price for the P3AT?

I paid $239 + tax for mine about a year ago. Kel-tec suggests a 200 round break-in period before giving it defesive duty. I did those 200 rounds in one trip, and thefinal of 3 total malfs happened at round #71. Totally reliable since then. I really like the P3AT, as it is one of the only .380's on the market that is NOT blowback operated. Shooting my P3AT side-by-side with a PPK/S, the Keltec seems to recoil more comfortably than the big steel PPK/S that weighs more than double. And if I ever do have a problem with it, Keltec will fix it or send me a new one. My wife carries this gun most of the time, and it is stoked w/CorBon "Blue/White box" 90gr. JHP. For more info on these little gems, check out ktog.com (could be .org instead). A few of them need the "fluff and buff" to get the kinks out, but that process takes all of about 20 minutes and is a great way to familiarize yourself with your new weapon.

I know nothing about the RIA 1911s. I've only owned Kimbers and a Colt. If it's not too far out of your price range, I've heard nothing but good things about the Taurus PT1911.(That's the first time I think I've EVER recommended a Taurus.) They tend to run in the $480-520 range, but have a TON of "extras" on them that you'd only find on Springfield "Loaded" guns or Kimber TLE's or Tacticals, etc.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I had been looking at the Taurus PT1911, but ya know, it's just kinda ugly. It's got too many frickin' words on the side of it. The RIA just looks better IMHO...plain, simple, practical.

I'm going to go back to that pawn shop and see if I can convince them to drop the price to $250. If so I'll grab it.

PT111

imported post

I recently bought a P3AT chrome for $299 including tax at a gun show. Most of the dealers around here want $299 +tax for the blued ones and the chrome are almost impossible to find. You can order them for $230 or so but then you have shipping + FFL fee so $280 isn't great but not bad. Mine so far has been perfect but I haven't done the full break in. The recoil is much less than I expected and overall I am very pleased.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

hlh wrote:
I'm about ready to buy a second P3AT because my wife and I argue over who gets to carry the one we have. :D
I'm with you on that one! I brought that P3AT home and the wife is like, "Hhmmmm. So that one's more powerful than the P32 I'm carrying now?" (me: "Yeah, why?") "Well, THANKS! (as she takes it from me)"

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

PT111 wrote:
The recoil is much less than I expected and overall I am very pleased.
The recoil is not bad, but because of the rough edges, after about 50 rounds you may find that your fingers are scraped up a bit. Mine were. But afterall, it isa gun that's not usually going to be shot much after the break-in. If it remains reliable I'm willing to overlook the finish (or lack thereof). It does have a toy-like appearance. I had cap guns that looked more slick when I was a kid.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
PT111 wrote:
The recoil is much less than I expected and overall I am very pleased.
The recoil is not bad, but because of the rough edges, after about 50 rounds you may find that your fingers are scraped up a bit. Mine were. But afterall, it isa gun that's not usually going to be shot much after the break-in. If it remains reliable I'm willing to overlook the finish (or lack thereof). It does have a toy-like appearance. I had cap guns that looked more slick when I was a kid.
I cured the "sharpness" of the plastic checkering on mine withmy woodburning kit and a flat attachment. Got it up to temperature, and using light pressure, quickly "sanded" them down with quick vertical strokes, (DO NOT let the tip rest on the plastic for any time, just go back and forth, or it'll MELT through.) and that solved it. I did that before I even shot mine, and I did about 230 rounds my first trip out.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Mine has sharp edges on the triggerguard. I have notsanded or, as suggested-- heat treated-- it because it is a minor inconvenience. I was merely pointing out the roughness of the finishing does leave something to be desired.