• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry in your house?

quaker333

imported post

I have a question for the readership of this forum, but I'm afraid it will come across as condescending or judgemental, and I don't mean it to. Honestly, I'm asking to be educated.

I know two men who routinely wear weapons in their house and in their yards. Both have valid licenses and are mature, sensible people; and I have absolutely no problem with their right to carry. I've asked both of them about why they arm themselves, and each says some variation of, "Because I have a right to." At least that's what I heard, but I might be misunderstanding.

I respect both of these men, and I think that I must be missing something. Could one or more of you talk to me about this?

My question is, do you routinely carry when you're at home, and if so, why? I can easily understand having a weapon available in case you are attacked in your home, but I don't understand routinely clipping a holster to your belt when you come back from the office.

Sincerely respectful,
Quaker333

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

It's thesecondthing I do when I come home. Walk in the door, let the dogs out, holster goes on. Why shouldn't I? if i'm walkign about the house, doing chores, or mowing the lawn, I'm not going to be right next to my firearm unless it's on my hip.

i remember hearing a story told on this forum about someone's wife who couldn't understand why they caried in their own house. One night, they heard gunshots right outside their house, in the street. they both hit the floor. Later on the man said to his wife, "Now you see why?"

It's like the boyscouts, "Be prepared!"

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

A gun on the hip is a lot better than one in the safe, particularly when seconds counts. I carry always in my home. I don't expect to use it, I hope I never have to, but I wish to be able defend my life and my familys lives if neccessary.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

My gun safe is in my basement. If sh!t hits the fan, I may need that pistol on my hip to fight my way to my rifle or shotgun downstairs! I want to be ready if someone were to break in. I like being prepared just the same as if I were out and about town.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I carry at home, because I have seen what a "quickly disassembled" deadbolt lock looks like. Standard door hardware doesn't keep criminals out, it just slows them down, sometimes not by very much even.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
I carry at home, because I have seen what a "quickly disassembled" deadbolt lock looks like. Standard door hardware doesn't keep criminals out, it just slows them down, sometimes not by very much even.
Yeah, but hopefully they make enough noise to alert your dogs and you so you can be ready. and having a gun on your hip makes you that much more ready.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I carry at home all the time, correction, I carry all the time. Its on my belt, revolver weighs 17 oz. don't know it's there half the time. It's within arms reach when in bed.

Like WhiteRabbit22 said: "It's like the boyscouts, 'Be prepared!'"

JB

imported post

I don't have any numbers handy for you, but it is my understanding that you are more likely to be attacked in your home than on the street. Can anyone help me out here?

lordnitrox

imported post

I carry at home because I'm always there, and always running in or out to do something. If something happens when i am taking the trash out, my gun in the other room is not going to do much. Also because if I carry everyplace to stay safe, why not do it at home?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Right now I sit in my computer room, already in my pajamas, so the gun is on the desk in front of me. However, in my apartment, every room is probably within 25-30 feet of the door/entrance.

If someone picked my lock right now and broke in, and they are armed, I would never have enough time to get to the firearm in my bedroom if their intention was to shoot me, or if it ended up being a botched robbery and I was shot in the process.

Dangers, and potentially fatal ones can happen anywhere, in your home, in your yard, at the office, and the list goes on.

I have a hard of time understanding the question you asked in the op as you have trying to understand why we carry all the time.

quaker333

imported post

openryan wrote:
I have a hard of time understanding the question you asked in the op as you have trying to understand why we carry all the time.
Understood; and that's why I asked the original question. Just doing my best to be not quite so ignorant about carrying.

Quaker333

Evil Ernie

imported post

The nice thing about CO is that I can OC or CC without a permit on my own property. I usually OC my HP 45 thats loaded with hydrashocks ready to face the bad guys. Last year, two nighttime break ins occurred while the homeowners were there, and this year three daylight break ins from BG's posing as college guys selling subscriptions. If worse comes to worse and I have to retreat, I have the 590 upstairs ready to go, and my Yugo SKS for the final word.
The only time I don't carry is when I'm in the shower (at arms reach), or wrestling with my boys (again, at arms reach), or of course, fulfilling my husbandly duties...both HG and SG are at arms reach...if they disturb me while I'm doin that, then god help'em!!! :cuss:
I have made full plans and contingencies regarding homestead defense in every instance I can think of. We've planned fall back zones, adjusted furniture for optimal concealment and lanes of fire, and run thru scenarios that encompassed what to do when only certain members are home. My oldest has strict instructions to immediately fall back to his zone, grab his triggerlocked mauser or M/N, fix bayonets, call 911 and Picketts Charge as a last stand. He's had firearm safety and discipline beaten into his skull, but he's still 15 and therefore cannot be trusted.
The Mrs has had some handgun training (wish it was more) and has been drilled in shotgun operation.

VAopencarry

imported post

I am only about 50/50 carrying in my home. But a gun is rarely more than 10 feet away at the most.

Why? Because I would hate like hell to have some asshats bust in my door and shoot, stab or beat me knowing my tool for self defense was in another room or locked in a safe.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I carry 90% of the time (I don't carry at work. It's too uncomfortable, and until I get a smaller gun, I am satisfied that my boss packs a .357 at all times. My .45 is generally in the break room in my backpack though, so unless someone drives a truck through the back wall of the buildling, I could probably get to it if I really needed it.)

I carry all the time at home, hell it's 2:39 AM and I have the gun on right now. Why? Because I can't think of a good reason not to. There are too many good reasons to always be armed. When my 7 month old nephew is here, I sometimes shudder to think what might happen if someone were to bust in and I wasn't armed. I could never forgive myself if something happened to him around me. My roommate is also armed 100% of the time when he's home. This makes for a pretty good defense in case of home invasion.

Evil Ernie

imported post

+1000 on the kids. When my almost two yr old looks in my eyes with that utter godlike respect....the mere thought of letting him or any of my family down because I wasn't prepared just makes me ill. Anytime my neighbors ask why, I relay the Connecticut story to them. I NEVER want to be in that position. I may fall, but I ain't goin down without a fight!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I carry in my home and on my property because I want to be able to protect my home and family from anyone who wants to do them harm. I am sure many folks on here do this, but I have guns throughout my house. That way, if I do not have my gun on me, at least I have one close at hand. I refuse to gamble with family and property. I want to be able to defend myself against crime. Locks and doors will slow down an intruder, but if they want to get in my house, they are going to be able to; break a window, break down the door, etc. I want to be able to stop an intruder dead in his tracks if he breaks into my house. That's why I carry at home.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I'll put on a gun out and about. In the house there are guns discretely at hand; at the frontdoor, in/on the nightstand and here on the desk beside me.

As to our 'gems', it is disheartening to hear that we protect them from evil least. Rather, 'polish' the 'gem' so that it can't be harmed by the mere presence of a gun.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

Kastaway

imported post

It's all about being prepared. Your gun can't protect you if you don't have it on your side. I wear mine all the time........if I can't I try and have it within arms reach. Like at work they don't let us, but let's just say I keep mine very close. ok....

xmirage2kx

imported post

I wear my gun at home because everyone I care about is there. Sure when i am out at a mall alone or something it is important to protect myself, but at home with my family there are a lot more people I care to protect. I could never live with myself if something happened to my family and I couldn't do anything about it because I wanted to keep my gun in a safe

expvideo

imported post

Not everyone carries at home. I do because I live in an apartment building in the cheaper part of town, thus being at more risk of a home invasion than many other places. I don't always have a holster on. Sometimes I do, but generally at home I Mexican carry (no holster, just tucked into pants), or set it on a table within 10 feet of me. If I change rooms, I bring the gun with me. It may sound super-paranoid, but at this point, it's so natural for me that I am more uncomfortable leaving it. I have gotten so used to carrying a gun everywhere I go, that I feel kind of naked without it. It's like not having my watch on whenever I'm awake. I don't need my watch at home, but it would feel weird to not have it.

When I lived at my parents' house, I always had my gun with me because I didn't have a safe. It was safer for my 6 year old brother if I carried the gun around the house than if I left it sitting somewhere, even if it was out of reach. I suppose that is where I developed the habit.

ETA:

I found the best analogy I could think of... It's like your cell phone. When you are at home do you still carry your cell phone around in your pocket? Not everyone does, but like a lot of people, I do. In a lot of ways, it's for the same reasons. First of all, I like being able to answer my cell phone immediately, just like I'd like to be able to access my gun immediately. Then there is the fact that I'm so used to having my cell phone on me that I feel kind of uncomfortable with it not being on my person. Finally, I know where my cell phone is when it's on me, and I don't have to worry about anyone touching it.