• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry in your house?

XD40coyote

imported post

I have been carrying on my property lately, just some, not constantly. It is the only placeI can legally do it anyway, being I live in this stupid liberal infested state, though I am considering a FL nonres ccw for PA carry, as I spend most of my time out of the house just over in PA.

Basically I am trying to get used to the idea of carrying, heck it took me awhile to just get over my fear of guns ( from growing up in a non gun house and in a liberal city). I still haven't graduated to carrying with 1 in the chamber.

This property also has my taxidermy business, so I can legally carry for that too. I prefer concealed at this time, wouldn't want to freak out the wives or if the game warden drops in, or a cop is a customer LOL- not sure of their attitudes since it seems the only OC in this state is law enforcement, and gun store employees while at work. I guess they really wouldn't care with a taxidermist though.

I have been trying to perfect my home made shoulder holster. I want to wear without a belt and so far I get hurting shoulders. I like belt carry better and have a nice leather holster I made for that, BUTI plain hate wearing belts. I probably should just go buy a professional made shoulder holster at this point!

My last problem is my parents- I live in their house and they actually own the property. My dad doesn't seem to like guns about 50% of the time LOL, and my mother is insecure, she won't even touch a gun. I don't want them ragging on me for carrying. I can't use too many excuses without sounding very paranoid since we live way off the road in a rural area, and have been living here since 1989 with nothing worst happeningthan a stray bullet from dumb target shooting neighbors,and a neighbor kid shooting a cat of ours for fun. Doors stay unlocked when we are home and we have 4 big dogs.

I figure the worst that is most likley to happen is a rabid animal wandering around. A higher % of this happening than some scumbags coming up here to do something. In fact it has already happened once and I shot the offending raccoon right next to the house. I did have to go get the gun though, wasn't carrying LOL

2nd to rabid animals are foxes snatching poultry LOL

PROUD American

imported post

Hmmm, It's nice to hear all you folks carrying CC/OC most of the time, to include while at home. I have come to the conclusion that WE need to be prepared not only while out and about, but at home as well. I have a another post at that describes an incident at my home near Reading, PA (with a link to the newspaper article): http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=6743&forum_id=60

I feel much more comfortable knowing that I'm not the only person walking around his house or doing chores "prepared"... And just like most of you folks, I have some additional handguns stashed here and there... Thanks for the support!!!

Take care and stay safe!!!

Bob

AbNo

imported post

I don't need to carry in my house. I'm in one of two places: my computer desk, or bed. Both places have a nice spot set aside for whichever weapon I leave readied. ;)

DMaddox58

imported post

The reason I carry at Home? Home invasions. They are on the uprise and it is not just in the larger cities anymore. Small towns like I live in have them happen too. When I get home, my Glock is right there with me. Also, I am former law enforcement and I have a few guys that were unhappy that I arrested them when they were caught breaking the law. I don't want to take the chance that they may make good on their threats they made several years ago.

ace1001

imported post

I'm looking to get one form our Guest room downstairs. My wife and I have a Goal to have 1 gun per room in the house ( including the Bathrooms, probably revolvers for the Bathrooms )

May I suggest stainless steel or plastic? Though my temptation to throw the plastic gun down the toilet might be overwhelming.:celebrate:lol: Ace

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

May I also add that I carry in my household to prevent the need for guns in every room of my house. god forbid a burglar should break in the back door and find on eof my guns and attack first, or leave without me noticing right away. I would not want to give a robber more of a chance.

ace1001

imported post

I don't get overly worked up about a burgler finding my guns and ammo as long as I have at least one. I figure most professionals will bring their own tools, and if he is willing to trade for something he is unfamiliar with, that could be MY advantage. I am concerned about OTHER peoples kids finding something. Ace

UTOC-45-44

imported post

The people visting and watching a movie does not know that they are sitting on a gun:lol::celebrate.

You of course put it in a strategic place were you and wife/girlfriend/other knows where it is.

N00blet45

imported post

I don't carry at home. I sit at my computer most of the time I'm at home so I'd have to stand up and draw. I do keep my AK next to my computer though, a shotgun next to my bed, and a pistol in my car.

It isn't very comfortable to carry a gun on the hip at home, especially not while sitting. And the way I look at it I'd rather have the AK or the shotty rather than the pistol, especially if we're talking home invasion with multiple targets. Nothing like 30 rounds of continous rifle fire to reverse the situation. The pistol is just for portable protection and to get me back to the rifle.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

my pistol is what gets me to my armament, my armament is what gets me to the roof, the roof is where i kill the zombies.

xmirage2kx

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
my pistol is what gets me to my armament, my armament is what gets me to the roof, the roof is where i kill the zombies.

:cuss:Hey Zombies... come and get some :cuss:

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

tarzan1888

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
WhiteRabbit22 wrote:

:cuss:Hey Zombies... come and get some :cuss:

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Remember to shoot for the head.

Tarzan

PS This is a target where I was practicing my double taps and then for fun I shot him in the eye and the mouth @ 30 feet with 1911 A1 in .45 ACP.

who_dat

Opt-Out Members
imported post

What I don't understand is why the guy didn't have it on at the office or on the way home?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I generally carry at home for the same reasons already mentioned. I carry all day at the office and my carry rig is perfectly comfortable sitting around at home as well. The only difference is that I often OC at home (can't OC in public in my city).

Superlite27

imported post

My question is, do you routinely carry when you're at home, and if so, why? I can easily understand having a weapon available in case you are attacked in your home, but I don't understand routinely clipping a holster to your belt when you come back from the office.

BecauseYOU don't get to pick when the bad guy tries to kill you. Either ALWAYS carry, or NEVER carry, but never,everSOMETIMES carry.

The worst feeling in the world is to develop a good "reflex draw".....then when the only time in your entire life you really need itto stay alive comes....YOU USE IT!!!!!

Only to discover that this is one of the times you happen to NOT be carrying.

Bummer.
I don't understand routinely clipping a holster to your belt when you come back from the office.

I don't understand it either. It should already be there.

Mine goes on when I wake up, comes off when I go to sleep.

I don't really see how apair of underwearcould possibly save your life, yet you put a pair on every day. If you can take the time to put pants on underneath your pants for no apparent reason, why would taking the time to place an item on your belt that could potentially save your life be a problem?

massltca

imported post

I carry in my house for several reasons. First I want the gun to readily accessible at all times, second I have a two year old son so I can't leave a loaded gun out, third in Massachusetts its the only way to get around the child access laws. My weapon is either on me or under my pillow at all times. My personal philosiphy is that the safest place for a weapon to be is under my direct control, that way there is no way for it to be misplaced, stolen or found my my children.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I firearm in a holster is also safer than a firearm laying around. If it's laying 'within arms reach' other people can still get to it (children, etc).

If it's in a holster it's under your control at all times.

who_dat

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Your city can preempt state law? Too bad. In Michigan, no city can make a law more restrictive than state law. OC is legal everywhere here.