• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry in your house?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

who_dat wrote:
Your city can preempt state law? Too bad. In Michigan, no city can make a law more restrictive than state law. OC is legal everywhere here.
Gun owners have been fighting for a preemption statute in MO for years. Trying to open carry outside of a locale that you are very familiar with is rather dangerous due to a crazy quiltwork of OC statutes. Fortunately, at least CC is preempted here.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are places like Washington DC, New York City and Chicago where it is illegal to carry in your home. People who live there have lost the right to protect themselves in their own homes. WhenI don't carry at home or at least have a gun handy I am no better off than they are maybe worse. You see they had their rights taken away. If Ichoose not tocarry I gave mine away. So the I do it because I can argument is a valid argument.

irfner

xmirage2kx

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I don't really see how apair of underwearcould possibly save your life, yet you put a pair on every day. If you can take the time to put pants on underneath your pants for no apparent reason, why would taking the time to place an item on your belt that could potentially save your life be a problem?
+1 :celebrate

arniejen

imported post

Personally I'm worried about a home invasion. If somebody's trying to kick in my front door, I don't want to have to run to where ever I secured my Glock.

Another reason is I occasionally have grandchildren in our house and the safest place to have the gun is on my hip, where little hands can't get it.

RogueWarrior

imported post

OK I've been lurking here for a while and this topic has been very interesting and it's got me thinking a lot of you have said that you carry your weapon on your hip at home. Would it not be easier to have it in a shoulder holster I'm still waiting to get my weapon as I've been told that i have to be a resident still waiting for the FBI to do my security clearence:cuss: OK that enough from me :celebrate

PavePusher

imported post

I'm considering posting a sign onmy front door:

"Visitors are requested to declare their weapons so the host can plan fields of fire, ammo re-supply, group maneuversand other emergency taskings."

tarzan1888

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
OK I've been lurking here for a while and this topic has been very interesting and it's got me thinking a lot of you have said that you carry your weapon on your hip at home. Would it not be easier to have it in a shoulder holster I'm still waiting to get my weapon as I've been told that i have to be a resident still waiting for the FBI to do my security clearence:cuss: OK that enough from me :celebrate

I just got a new shoulder holster for my .357 snubby for Christmas, and I love it.

I have been wearing it a lot at home lately (Yes a kid with a new toy)

Over the years I have bought a lot of holsters. and I wear different ones at different times and I have warn all of them around the house.

I probably have 5 or 6 holsters per gun.

It depends on what I am doing and how long I am doing it and I go for comfort around the house.

Good luck on your gun and holster....s when you get them.:)

Tarzan

massltca

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
I'm considering posting a sign onmy front door:

"Visitors are requested to declare their weapons so the host can plan fields of fire, ammo re-supply, group maneuversand other emergency taskings."
+1:lol:

jbowers24

imported post

There was an interesting story I read on another forum where a member was in his utility shed on his property and his neighbor (slightly off her rocker) came over shoved a loaded revolver in his back and said "I'm going to kill you". This was over his dog having chased her cat! Crazier things have happened too.

The one place in the world I'll defend to the death is my home. The rest I can walk away from.

tarzan1888

imported post

jbowers24 wrote:
.............The one place in the world I'll defend to the death is my home. The rest I can walk away from.

There is no other place on earth with a higher concentration of people I love, than in my home. Why would I not carry there?

Tarzan

kb0tpz

imported post

I carry in my house because in most states it is a protected right to arm yourself in you own house. It also ensures that at 2 am when someone kickes the door in or breakes out a window I will be prepared to defend myseld my baby and my wife.

I will tell you one thing for sure if that happens and someone is in your house at that time of night thaey are not there to ask you if they can have a beer out of your fridge!!!!

Seif5034

imported post

i stayed with my gf and her family in Mississippi over the summer. we (on a regular basis) walked through tall grasses to her grandma's house in lowlight. it always made me kinda nervous that a snake would take a snap at my ankle since we had to kill two while i was there b/c they were bothering the dogs

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

quaker333 wrote:
I know two men who routinely wear weapons in their house and in their yards. Both have valid licenses and are mature, sensible people; and I have absolutely no problem with their right to carry. I've asked both of them about why they arm themselves, and each says some variation of, "Because I have a right to." At least that's what I heard, but I might be misunderstanding.
"Because I can" is NO reason to carry. However, it's rarely the only reason people do. I carry at home (often, but not always) for a very simple reason; because I may need it. Yes, the chances are slim; the neighborhood is not the best but I live in a gated apartment mostly habitated by young professionals andcollege students (SMU is just the other side of 75). However, apartments to the south, even just across the street, are largely Section 8, so it's not the Hamptons, and therehave been very loud arguments and confrontations in the complex.

ace1001

imported post

The Second Amendment is the ONLY reason I need. What reason have you to question my actions?????? If I choose to engage you in intellectual discourse, I would say it is irresponsible to walk helplessly in the world. No class of human above slave has been forced to before the 20th century. In 1986 the supreme court determined that LE has NO responsibility to protect any individual. So you are on your own whether you know it or not. Just try to get them to stop something you know is going to happen. They are much better at filing a report and calling the morgue. It is interesting to note that the anti-gun sentiment does not run high among crime victims. Ace

kemosabi

imported post

A large amt of crimes against homeowners happen when they walk in the door from running errands.. or go to the grocery store..They watch you leave ,then go in...Especially if you live in a busy area or high traffic area of your town.....Ive got several great Training Power points on these types of situations.Its got great info..I w/visit the NRA site .They have some killer references for home security ..

I feel naked w/out my gun...Good to know im not alone........

If you carry it,Make sure its locked and loaded.A empty gun w/not help you....
Good luck

Kemo

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Kemo... for future reference, the internet abbreviation "w/" is generally understood to be a replacement for the word "with." Although it was discernable what you meant, the inappropriate usage made for a difficult read.