Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Feedback on my Letter?

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    So, I got a letter from the Prothonotary today saying that my reason for making application for a concealed carry permit needed more explanation (May Issue state) -- I'm attaching the letter below. Also, in the quoted area below, is the letter I've written in response. I know it's a bit of a buttkiss, but hey... it's a May Issue state.

    I'm looking for any critique or suggestions before I turn this in...






    My Response:

    December 10th, 2007

    RE: Application of Robert for a Permit to Carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon

    Dear Judge XXXXXXXX,

    Firstly, thank you for taking my application into consideration. In your letter dated November 30, 2007, you stated that my reason for the application, "...for the protection of self, family & property." was insufficient and requested further written explanation for the need of a permit before the application would be acted on. I would briefly like to correct one error -- the reason stated on my application was, "For the lawful defense of myself and my family." In all honesty, I don't value my property over the life of another human being and is not a reason for my application.

    That being said, my family: Krista who is thirty-six, my oldest daughter, Moira, who is four and my youngest daughter, Lily, who is one are my primary reasons for making application for this permit. As active Delawareans, we work and are schooled in urban areas and spend a good deal of our recreational time outdoors. Though we've had very few encounters that have made me fear for my life or the lives of my family, every time we're out I pray for an uneventful day. I have no real story of being a victim that precipitated my application for this permit and, if granted, I pray that I will never find need for its use; however, in the event I'm put into a position to protect the lives of my wife and children where mortal danger is certain, I want to be prepared to adequately perform that duty.

    In my initial research, I came across a quote from former Attorney General Oberly who stated in January of 2006 in an article written on DelawareOnline.com, "Under current Delaware law, virtually anyone, excepting felons, may strap on a holster and carry a gun in plain view. You can even carry a rifle over your shoulder and walk around with it." While I understand that, lawfully, I’m be able to "open carry" without a permit, I do feel, in some situations, this might warrant unnecessary attention from both the public and law enforcement officers where as being permitted to conceal my firearm would allow me to be more discrete and not divert police resources who would undoubtedly be called upon to investigate a “man with a gun.”

    In conclusion, I kindly request that Your Honor see fit to grant me this permit. My wish is to be prepared in the event that myself or my family are in imminent mortal danger. I'm sure you'll find that the research done by the State Police and Attorney General's office shows a pristine record and that I am a respected member of the community with no ill-intent.

    If you have any further concerns or questions regarding my application, please feel free to contact me at your liesure and I will happily provide you with any information you may require.


    Respectfully,
    Me

  2. #2
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    Good letter. Maybe include some quotes from victims who "never thought it would happen to me". I would guess this judge would like to see you get mugged once or twice so that you have a "good reason" to carry. I wonder if the state could be sued if you are still denied the permit, and then are mugged (or something along those lines). It would seem they would be responsible for the fact you were not able to defend yourself. Any lawyers know if that's a possibility?

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    dngreer wrote:
    Good letter. Maybe include some quotes from victims who "never thought it would happen to me". I would guess this judge would like to see you get mugged once or twice so that you have a "good reason" to carry. I wonder if the state could be sued if you are still denied the permit, and then are mugged (or something along those lines). It would seem they would be responsible for the fact you were not able to defend yourself. Any lawyers know if that's a possibility?
    Delaware is an Open Carry state -- extremely rare, though. So, technically, I have the ability to protect myself, just not conceal at the moment.

  4. #4
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    I stand corrected. I thought, for some reason, thatDelaware did not allow OC. I believe I was thinking that because local laws are not preempted. I guess it's still better than your neighbor; Maryland.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    'Firstly' and 'briefly' are unnecessary and stilted.

    "...human being and it is not a reason..."

    "...Lily, who is one-punctuation needed here-are my..."

    "...lawfully, I’m be able to "open carry"..."

    'liesure' mis-spelled

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    'Firstly' and 'briefly' are unnecessary and stilted.

    "...human being and it is not a reason..."

    "...Lily, who is one-punctuation needed here-are my..."

    "...lawfully, I’m be able to "open carry"..."

    'liesure' mis-spelled
    Thanks kindly -- I wrote this in notepad at home last night and ran it through the spell-checking and caught that mispell. Appreciate the other modifications, added.

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Updated version:

    Dear xxx,
    Thank you for taking my application into consideration. In your letter dated November 30, 2007, you stated that my reason for the application, "...for the protection of self, family & property." was insufficient and requested further written explanation for the need of a permit before the application would be acted on. I would like to correct one error in your letter -- the reason stated on my application actually read, “Lawful defense of myself and my family." In all honesty, I don't value my property over the life of another human being and it is not a reason for my application.

    That being said, my family: Krista who is thirty-six, my oldest daughter, Moira, who is four and my youngest daughter, Lily, who is one, are my primary reasons for making application for this permit. As active northern Delawareans, we work and are schooled in urban areas and spend a good deal of our recreational time outdoors. Though we've had very few encounters that have made me fear for my life or the lives of my family, each time we're out I pray for an uneventful day. I have no real story of being a victim that precipitated my application for this permit and, if granted, I pray that I will never find need for its use; however, in the event I'm put into a position to protect the lives of my wife and children where mortal danger is certain, I want to be prepared to adequately perform that duty.

    In my initial research, I came across a quote from former Attorney General Oberly who stated in January of 2006 in an article written on DelawareOnline.com, "Under current Delaware law, virtually anyone, excepting felons, may strap on a holster and carry a gun in plain view. You can even carry a rifle over your shoulder and walk around with it." While I understand that, lawfully, I’m able to "open carry" without a permit, I do feel that, in some situations, this might warrant unnecessary attention from both the public and law enforcement officers where as being permitted to conceal my firearm would allow me to be more discrete and not divert police resources who would undoubtedly be called upon to investigate a “man with a gun.”

    In conclusion, I kindly request that Your Honor see fit to grant me this permit. My wish is to be prepared in the event that my family or I is in imminent mortal danger. I'm sure you'll find that the research done by the State Police and Attorney General's office shows a pristine record and that I am a respected member of the community with no ill-intent.

    If you have any further concerns or questions regarding my application, please feel free to contact me at your leisure and I will happily provide you with any information you may require.
    Respectfully,


  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Sorry, didn't see it before;

    "In conclusion, I kindly request..." The Judge can be kindly, you should be respectful, 'respectfully request..."

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Open Office (OpenOffice.org) is a free open source multi-platform fully featured office suite. It can include templates for legal forms - pleadings et cetera. Most importantly, it is FREE and not Mickey$oft.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Sorry, didn't see it before;

    "In conclusion, I kindly request..." The Judge can be kindly, you should be respectful, 'respectfully request..."
    Gotcha, so... should I change the sign off from 'Respectfully', to something else so as not be quite redundant? Best Regards, perhaps? Or just keep as is?

  11. #11
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Open Office (OpenOffice.org) is a free open source multi-platform fully featured office suite. It can include templates for legal forms - pleadings et cetera. Most importantly, it is FREE and not Mickey$oft.
    I have it on my RedHat Workstation here at work. Don't know if I have those templates installed, though, hehe.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    When LEO666 pulls you over, how many times to you say 'Sir'? Two respectfully is not. Two is fine. IMNHO!

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    I have Fedora ready to install and have even spun the Live CD a few times.

    But few compatible drivers.

    As heavily as I/we use our laptops I haven't risked losing their functionality to a messed-up dual boot. I'm waiting for one to fail and then I'll plead for a $2K Linux certified dual-boot multi-media system.

    Got any hints on one? So far Dell is the cheapest. ETA: doug.huffman@wildblue.net

  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    Emailed ya.

    Just ran over to the courthouse and filed my letter. One thing that kind of ticked me off... the letter was dated Nov 30th, but I received it yesterday. It was postdated the 8th and I had 30 days to reply. Wonder if that would be from the date of the letter or the date I received it.

    I'm sure I could get around all of that if I provided the postdated envelope; however, that's a week and a half they're adding to my wait time.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    222

    Post imported post

    Wynder wrote:
    Emailed ya.

    Just ran over to the courthouse and filed my letter. One thing that kind of ticked me off... the letter was dated Nov 30th, but I received it yesterday. It was postdated the 8th and I had 30 days to reply. Wonder if that would be from the date of the letter or the date I received it.

    I'm sure I could get around all of that if I provided the postdated envelope; however, that's a week and a half they're adding to my wait time.
    If you feel the need to do so, only send them a photo or photocopy. NEVER give up an original document,unless court ordered to do so.


    Good luck.



  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bear, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    1,241

    Post imported post

    spurrit wrote:
    Wynder wrote:
    Emailed ya.

    Just ran over to the courthouse and filed my letter. One thing that kind of ticked me off... the letter was dated Nov 30th, but I received it yesterday. It was postdated the 8th and I had 30 days to reply. Wonder if that would be from the date of the letter or the date I received it.

    I'm sure I could get around all of that if I provided the postdated envelope; however, that's a week and a half they're adding to my wait time.
    If you feel the need to do so, only send them a photo or photocopy. NEVER give up an original document,unless court ordered to do so.


    Good luck.

    What I did was take over two originals (printed and signed two), gave them both to the Prothonotary who stamped both recieved and gave me back one of the originals for my records. I think that should suffice... I hope. ;p

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •