• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else notice this in the media coverage of the chruch shooting?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

The media is giving credit to the security guard at New Life Church in Colorado for shooting the gunman, rather than giving credit to the gun. Don't get me wrong, she deserves the credit, the gun was merely a tool. But the opposite happens whenevera gun is used for crime; the media blames the gun rather than the criminal. It makes me SO upset to see the spin they put on this.

tarzan1888

imported post

dngreer wrote:
The media is giving credit to the security guard at New Life Church in Colorado for shooting the gunman, rather than giving credit to the gun. Don't get me wrong, she deserves the credit, the gun was merely a tool. But the opposite happens whenevera gun is used for crime; the media blames the gun rather than the criminal. It makes me SO upset to see the spin they put on this.

Thats rights! Since guns are bad they can only do bad things, so since this is good, it must be the person.

Its the guns fault that the shooter did his bad things. Remember he had 2 handguns and a rifle so his three bad guns made him do it.

Tarzan

Attachments

• beingsick.gif
    beingsick.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 232

ChinChin

imported post

dngreer wrote:
The media is giving credit to the security guard at New Life Church in Colorado for shooting the gunman, rather than giving credit to the gun.

She wasn't a security guard. She was a parishioner who had a CCW permit and offer the pastor her volunteer service to act as security that morning given the news of the shooting at the other church to the North of them.

The press decided to call her a "security guard" as they'll never give credit to a CCW or OC'r who acted heroically.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316378,00.html

ETA: my source or "cite" less the HankT monster start growling "cite, cite, cite!"

dng

State Researcher
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
She wasn't a security guard. She was a parishioner who had a CCW permit and offer the pastor her volunteer service to act as security that morning given the news of the shooting at the other church to the North of them.

The press decided to call her a "security guard" as they'll never give credit to a CCW or OC'r who acted heroically.
Well, just to be fair, I can understand why they would call her a security guard. If she's "working" or volunteering as security, it does sound like security guard is a term that could be applied to her. Granted, it could be misleading, making one believe she was part of paid security services.

ChinChin

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Well, just to be fair, I can understand why they would call her a security guard. If she's "working" or volunteering as security, it does sound like security guard is a term that could be applied to her. Granted, it could be misleading, making one believe she was part of paid security services.

I think the mainstream media *is* in fact misleading the general public into thinking this woman was an armed guard from the likes of Brinks, Wackenhut, or insert local armed security forces.

In the strictest sense, she was "guarding" the location and thus providing "security," however I would hope (perhaps in vein) that the press would have no bias for or against and in the interest of presenting a factual account of the situation, mention that she was not EMPLOYED as a private security employee, but was a CCW holder.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Well, that would be putting a spin on the story (to say she was a CCW holder). The media cannot be biased. It would compromise their credibility. (sarcasm) :D

Johnny Law

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
dngreer wrote:

I think the mainstream media *is* in fact misleading the general public into thinking this woman was an armed guard from the likes of Brinks, Wackenhut, or insert local armed security forces.

In the strictest sense, she was "guarding" the location and thus providing "security," however I would hope (perhaps in vein) that the press would have no bias for or against and in the interest of presenting a factual account of the situation, mention that she was not EMPLOYED as a private security employee, but was a CCW holder.
Although it's true she may have been "volunteering" (very generous on her part) The fact is that she was an ex-cop, and as such posessed above average skills and trainingin dealing with that type of situation. You can bet your butt those skills came into play when the lead started flying.

JB

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
dngreer wrote:

Thats rights! Since guns are bad they can only do bad things, so since this is good, it must be the person.

Its the guns fault that the shooter did his bad things. Remember he had 2 handguns and a rifle so his three bad guns made him do it.

Tarzan
I think it was uncle Ted who said; "If guns kill people, all of mine are broken."

spurrit

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
dngreer wrote:

When I was watching the news today, I did notice that they WERE referring to her as a volunteer.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The newspapers are also happily pointing out that according to the coroner the shooter did himself in with his own rifle and was not killed by Ms. Assam. (Link). Now, that might make her feel a little better knowing that she didn't fire a fatal shot, but helped avert a larger disaster by forcing him tostop shooting people, but the end result is that the media is focusing on the suicide, not the defensive shooting by Ms. Assam.