• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Salt Lake Tribune says campus gun carry should stay in the closet

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_7688004#

In plain view
Holstered guns in open view don't belong on campus
Tribune Editorial
Article Launched:12/11/2007 12:32:38 AM MST
Utah law allows students with concealed-carry permits to pack handguns on state-owned college campuses. Some of those students are pushing that envelope, arguing that the University of Utah cannot prohibit them from carrying loaded firearms in plain view. The university is pushing back, and for good reason.
Imagine you were an instructor or student in a class and someone other than a peace officer walked in carrying a holstered handgun in plain view. What would you do?
One instructor told us she would immediately dismiss class and tell the students to leave.
In the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, that sounds reasonable to us.
If you were a student in that class, would you stick around? We wouldn't.
That's why the university's policy prohibiting even students with concealed-carry permits from packing in plain view makes sense. Guns on the hips of people other than uniformed cops naturally make other people nervous. It's tough to concentrate on a lecture or class discussion when the kid on the next row is openly packing heat.
Debates in class sometimes become heated. An instructor cannot be expected to teach knowing that someone in the class might pop off with something more than a snarky comment.
The students who want to slap a sidearm on their hip should understand that, but apparently some don't. One told a Tribune reporter that others should not view an openly carried handgun as a menace. "I would hope that if someone sees a gun, they would come to the rational conclusion that if this person is intent to do harm, he wouldn't be carrying a gun for everyone to see."
Maybe. Maybe not. If the person carrying a gun is a stranger, how can you automatically assume he is law-abiding and has no malicious intent? That's why cops wear uniforms and carry badges, to allay that very concern.
In the same breath, some of these gun-rights students argue that no one other than a peace officer should be able to question them about why they are carrying a gun. Now who's being unreasonable?
The U. should stick to its guns. No open carry on campus, with the exception of peace officers and ROTC students in uniform.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
Thanks...i appreciate that...:banghead:...as you can see i didn't pass english.

Thats ok. As long as you help fight to keep English our spoken language, you can butcher it all you want!

"If you can read this, thank a Teacher."
"If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier."

xmirage2kx

imported post

Oh, you can ask me about my gun (make, caliber, etc). However demanding to see my permit because you see my gun would be like me demanding to see your drivers license because I see your car.