• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 20?

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I've been eyeing up a GLock Model 20 for a while now but I am holding out to see if they come out an SF version of it since the .45 was changed. Has anyone heard about them possibly releasing a G20 SF? I've read a quite a bit about this gun and most people say it will fire anything you can feed it and not flinch, even full powered 10mm loads. Is this true? I read on here one time that someone said that Glock 20's have a tendency to wear out quickly and I was wondering if there is any evidence to support this?

Marco

imported post

I have owned a G20 for over 5yrs, with no problems, it eats everything except PMC it just won't cycle my gun.
Not sure if Glock is going to release a G20SF model but after handling the G21SF I wasn't impressed.

However, I do like the ambi mag release, if the larger grip is your concern consider a grip reduction from a well known company.

My gun has a few custom features that make it more appealing for me, 5.5" SS Fitted Bar-Sto barrel, Hi-Viz Front sight, Aro-Tek extended Slide release and a customized trigger pull.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

My G20 was a "C" model, but I had both the compensated bbl, and the non-ported bbl (which is how it was carried). I had mine done up with a full 360* stipple job, hard chromed slide, chrome pins, chrome slide stop, sure-touch mag release, stainless guide rod, Wolff springs, Aro-tek night sights, and a CTC lasergrip. It was BAD-A$$!!! I just didn't have the dough to feed it as much or as often as I'd like, so I traded my buddy for his tricked out Kimber 1911 (my Glock's total value was around $1400). I never had any problems with mine, from shooting light (.40 energy) loads, all the way up to Doubletap HOT loads. Accurate, lightweight, high capacity and shoots great. If you can stand paying ~~$18/box for targe ammo, (or even better, if you reload) I'd say go for it. You won't want to let this one sit in the safe!

Flintlock

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
drkarrow wrote:
If you realy want to, you can make your own G20sf

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747238

I just carry a G29 instead.
I've actually considered that. Hod do you like the 29? Does it handle the full power 10mm loads?

Both the G20 and G29 will handle full-power 10mm loads just fine. If it isat all a concern for you, an option would be to upgrade to a #19 or#22 Wolf spring. I fire hot loads from Double Tap out of my G20(which are the best 10mm loads by far,IMO)and it doesn't have any problems with the stock spring, even with the higher octane loads.Excellent ballistics, power, and speed. You can get a whole lot more information from these two sites...

http://www.10mmtalk.com/

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

drkarrow

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
drkarrow wrote:
If you realy want to, you can make your own G20sf

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747238

I just carry a G29 instead.
I've actually considered that. Hod do you like the 29? Does it handle the full power 10mm loads?

I like it a lot. It is a thick gun, IWB makes quite the bulge, but I can conceal it without muchproblems. Even at the local gun shop they were amazed how well I could conceal it for suck a thick gun. With full power loads it kicks like the most powerfull 357 magnum loads. I first considered the 357, magnum but revolver handles just don't suit me well,I get too much flip up with them. The handle on the Glock works much better for me. Also the Pierce pinky extender for the 29 does help a bit for faster follow up shots.

My only complaint is its harder to find good Open Carryholster like a Serpa for the G29. They only make them for the G20. But you can still get some nice leather OWB holsters for the 29.

TheApostle

imported post

Glock 27 is the way to go! But if I was going to get a .45 I would look at the Glock 30SF if you can find one. I went to get a Glock 30 or 36 for a backup gun but there was a backorder for them. I opted for the 27 since I like .40 S&W better than .45 ACP.

Any of Gaston Glock's polymer children are great!

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I have a G30 that I really like. It was my first pistol. After having bought the G21SF I'm amazed at the difference in the recoil. The G30 is a little pocket rocket, but it's comfortable, easy to conceal, and will knock down the bad guy.

iroc192

imported post

The story that I've heard is with the 20 and 10mm+ is go C(compensated) or go home!

It's a bad choice for untrained personal defense because of flash/spray, but if you keep it away from your body (not always possible with defense) it's a helluva gun to fire. (good thing)

C is probably better for the range, anything that doesn't have the right build at a certain calibre will break down faster, s'why they put in the manuals that +p may cause early wear.

Flintlock

imported post

iroc192 wrote:
The story that I've heard is with the 20 and 10mm+ is go C(compensated) or go home!

It's a bad choice for untrained personal defense because of flash/spray, but if you keep it away from your body (not always possible with defense) it's a helluva gun to fire. (good thing)

C is probably better for the range, anything that doesn't have the right build at a certain calibre will break down faster, s'why they put in the manuals that +p may cause early wear.

Mine is not compensated and I have had no such issues with recoil, or anything else for that matter. The "C" model has it's downfalls though..

If you have a compensatedmodel and carry it in the field at all, it it a target for debris and other filth cataching in there. Additionally, as you previously stated, flash is a serious issue, particularly in a dark environment. As for wearing down, the G20 is a beast and I have not heard of too many issues coming from shooters that put lots of rounds down range. many from this site can attest to that..

http://www.10mmtalk.com/

For the ones that do haveany issuesand alsofor serious reloaders, they usually get an upgraded recoil spring to reduce wear. However, it is not totally necessary as this is a fine stock weapon out-of-the-boxfor defense in urban areas as well as the field.