Thread: New Member from Boise, and I have some questions...

Post imported post

Hello members of this forum! I'm new to this forum, but a native of Boise for the last 18 years, yes...I was born here.

I'm new to the whole open carry concept as I had originally though that a citizen had to be 21 to open carry a handgun, as I am 18 this could be an issue. However after some research, the last four hours to be exact, I have come to realize that it is in fact LEGAL.

And in light of the recent high levels of mass shootings, it would be in my best interest to carry, as the rise in crime in this city has without a doubt lowered my trust in mankind...

From the NRA-ILA Guide on carrying, I got this:

"It is unlawful for any person under the age of eighteen years to possess or have in possession any handgun. "

And from the actual Idaho State Constitution:

18-3302F. Prohibition of Possession of

Certain Weapons by a Minor.

(1)
    It shall be unlawful for any person under

the age of eighteen (18) years to possess or

have in possession any handgun.

(2)
    Except as provided by federal law, a minor

under the age of eighteen (18) years may not

possess the following:

(a)
    A sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or

(b)
    A full automatic weapon.

(3)
    Any person who violates the provisions of

subsection (2) (a) of this section is guilty of a

misdemeanor.

(4)
    Any person who violates the provisions of

subsection (2) (b) of this section is guilty of a

felony.

All of which most of you have probably seen, a lot haha...

After thorough reading though I have not found anything in exact PRINT stating it would be legal or illegal for me to do so, although several articles, including the one from Post Falls and this website, also state that it is legal.

Before I go OCing I would like to be sure of the law exactly as it is, so anyone at this forum who can give me their input, experiences or anything else would be greatly appreciated!

I will probably give ISP a call tomorrow just to clarify.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Did you look at the "age to OC" tab??

Post imported post

Yes I did, states 18 but I just wanted to double-check in case it was changed since then...

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum and the the world of OC!

The right to keep and bear arms is ratified to us both by the 2nd Ammendment to the U.S. Constitution and by the Idaho State Constitution

The Idaho Constitution Article 1, Section 11 states

Code:
    SECTION 11.  RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. The people have the right to
    keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision
    shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons
    concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum
    sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent
    the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms
    by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the
    use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special
    taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall
    any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the
    commission of a felony.

We have FULL state preemption which means that towns and localities are NOT able to 
    enforce laws or codes which are in conflict with state law. 

Section 18-33 of Idaho code deals with firearms and explosives and states that to carry a 
    handgun in Idaho you must be 18 years of age. To carry a rifle or shotgun you must be

Read section 18-33 thoroughly and make sure you know where prohibited places are. (This is 
    basically K-12 schools, courthouses, federal buildings, and jails.)

The best advice I can give you is to present a confidant, polite gun owner when carrying open. 

It's always good to see another OCer around here! PM me if you have any questions or want 
    someone to get in contact with face to face to talk about OC a little more.

Post imported post

Welcome aboard. Like most, I didn't know I could carry at 18 either. SO I just was careful about CC'ing. Now I OC everywhere that I can.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Welcome, Brian! Glad to have you on board. Present a good image, condition yellow always and stay safe! Maybe see you around town.

Post imported post

Welcome aboard. Don't forget to check what you employer's policy is on carrying while on the job or on/in their premises. Sometimes this slips the mind and causes unwanted problems.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO! I felt the same way when I started OC'ing, I was 19 when I started. I still OC and am a few months from 21 but I have never had any problem from LEO's(LEO stand for Law Enforcement Officer, it confused me at first when I came to the board) and I deal with them regularly between work and some crazy friends. Last week I actually had a run in with a bunch of LEO's at a friends house while OC'ing and I saw them look at my pistol and they never even mentioned it until I offered to go put it up inside. I know most of the members wouldn't agree with offering to put it away if the LEO's don't ask and don't have a problem, but there were extenuating circumstances.

If you have more questions please ask, these boards are some of the best resources you can get on info for carrying, both OC and CC, and OCDO is the best of all of them IMHO. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, just jerk's who get mad that you ask something they don't know and weren't smart enough to ask before you.

BTW, don't feel like you have to be so formal, if thats how you like to type it's cool, but the guys on here won't bite.