• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poulsbo: Encounter with Security at Home Depot

eBratt

imported post

Wife needed a few items from the paint section and I needed to check some prices on a few other items, so we made a stop at Home Depot. I was dressed in blue jeans, and a blue fleece pullover with my XD9 4" service model in a CQC Serpa, right side and had my wife and two kids with me.

Finished in the paint area and stopped to look at a new model refridgerator that caught our eye as we were moving through the store. While looking, I noticed a man approaching me from my right hand side. I turned and greeted him. He seemed a bit befuddled as to how to start the conversation and finally said something along the lines of "your gun."

I asked him what he meant and he asked if I had a permit for it. I indicated that no permit was necessary for open carry in Washington. He then indicated that he was concerned about it and indicated he was with Home Depot's security department.

He proceeded to indicate to me that my gun made him very uncomfortable and that he was concerned about it. I asked him why it made him uncomfortable and he responded that he was concerned about the safety of the store and his own personal safety and expressed a preference that I leave my weapon in the car. I expressed some empathy for his concern about personal safety and mentioned the recent shootings in Nebraska and Colorado and noted that those are the same reasons that I carry.

At this point he seemed to relax a bit. My daughter then screamed that she needed to use the potty, so I told my wife to go ahead and take the kids to the bathroom and that I would follow. The security guy and I then followed her at a leisurely pace just chatting. He commented on my holster and knew it was a Serpa. We chatteda about XDs (he has a 40), holsters, etc. His history, as he related it, is in Navy Military Police. He CCWs while off the clock and is prohibited from carrying at work.

I steered the conversation back to the immediate situation as my wife was checking out. I asked him about the contact and asked whether he was insisting I cover up or come in disarmed. He indicated that he would prefer that I would do that. I asked him what he meant by that comment and he explained that the safety department needs to take measure to make the store as safe as possible. I asked if that was his personal opinion or if it was store policy. He himmed and hawed and vaguely pointed out that it wasn't store policy. Having a foggy recollection that Home Depot followed state law on firearms (like Wal*Mart), I took a stab at it and indicated that such was my understanding. He then confirmed that my belief was correct. I reiterated that OC was legal as per Washington law and asked him whether I would be ejected from the store should I come in again. He said that I would not be ejected but that he would probably follow me around like he had during this encounter.

I pointed out to him the logic behind peaceful OCers being the ones you really don't need to worry about and explained that there are a number of us (it may be a small number, but a number none the less) that carry here on the Kitsap peninsula and that he will most likely encounter others. He acknowledged that and indicated that he would rather have contact with them and get a feel for them himself. I thanked him for his overall courteous approach, shook his hands, and exchanged names (his is Chuck).

He then continued to walk and chat with me and my family as we headed to our vehicle. He wished us a Merry Christmas and headed back in the store.

So, all in all, a pretty fair encounter. I was not expressly asked to cover up, was not ejected from the store, and was not asked to not return. He was polite and I enjoyed our talk about guns (his "baby" is a Desert Eagle). He is pretty easily recognizable (both ears are pierced, small blue hoops) and was rough shaven. Again, his name is Chuck. All in all seemed like a nice guy.

Now, I did neglect two things...first, I meant to drop the OCDO webpage reference with him and didn't and then I didn't ask how long he's been there as I (and others) have been OCing there for a while with no encounters at all. Family, myself included, is just getting over the flu, so I'll chalk it up to that.

Anyway, I will continue to OC at Home Depot. Looks like I'll get to know Chuck a bit better too.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Good encounter! :celebrate
Glad it went well. Guess I should shop at the Home Depot myself. I've been thinking about having some OCDO business cards made up to hand out. Talked to a guy in the bar today and he thought a permit was needed just to have a loaded weapon on your person. I directed him to OCDO...

Dave_pro2a

imported post

eBratt wrote:
He said that I would not be ejected but that he would probably follow me around like he had during this encounter.

You sir, are a GENIUS!

You have discovered a way to always be able to find a orange jacket for assistance at a Home Depot store!!!!

Whenever I need one to help me with something they are as scarce as Jackalope ;) Why just today I spent about 60 minutes trying to find crap at HD, and as I wondered isle after isle I never saw a single customer service agent (or whatever they call them these days).

Genius I say, genius ;)

Misguided Child

imported post

I wonder how much product was stolen while he was following you around? Does he not understand lowlifes don't walk around with exposed guns? You can bet there are a lot of thieves in the area that know what he looks like and what his car looks like and they probably avoid the store when he is there.If he is following you around he is missing the people he is supposed to be looking for.

Personally I would boycott them. Actually I do, have for years. :cool:

Agent 47

imported post

Yeah, Their customer service stinks. But I have never had a bad encounter while OC'ing there, so I can't fault them on that topic.

gregma

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
FYI: Here is a memo from the Home Depot Director of Public Relations, David Sandor. You may wish to keep this handy next time you shop at HD.

http://vaguninfo.com/documents/homedepot.pdf
Wow, I just noticed that this was crafted in 2003! Who knows if this "David Sandor" still even works there, and over 4 years is a LOOOOONG time for a policy not to have changed. In fact it could have changes dozens of times since then. Is there nothing that is a little more recent?

Edited to add: I'm going to find out myself. I'll send this letter and a letter myself to inquire as to whether this is still the standing policy at Home Depot.

eBratt

imported post

BTW, he was dressed in plain clothes...no orange apron. Just thought I would point that out.

I'll also second the Lowes comment. I much prefer them to Home Depot. I have yet to have a bad experience at Home Depot, but the customer service is lacking. Lowes seems to really be much more on the ball. Until they get one here in Poulsbo though, I'm stuck shopping at the orange giant.

As for the memo, I knew I had read somewhere that Home Depot follows state law. I must have seen that memo. Anyway, he acknowledged that the policy is still in place and did not try to coerce me into covering or disarming. He merely stated his preference (probably due to his having to disarm while at work) and stated that anyone he sees carrying he will monitor.

I pointed out that bad guys don't generally OC, especially in a retention holster, but anyone with a gun but no badge makes him a bit nervous.

I figure this is a great opportunity for some education. He is open to carry (as he CCWs almost all the time off the clock) and seems up for some friendly discussion. Let's take the opportunity to show off our best manners and help bring a CCWer around to at least an awareness of how legality and practicality of OC as well as just how nice and non-threatening us OCers are.

IanB

imported post

gregma wrote:
I'm going to find out myself. I'll send this letter and a letter myself to inquire as to whether this is still the standing policy at Home Depot.
Please don't do that. When you ask for a refreshed opinion at the highest levelit gives thema chance to get attorneys involved to say "NO". Why not accept the defacto status quo that weapons ARE allowed unless told otherwise? Let's not give them the idea to tell us "NO" in the first place by asking permission when this problem has not risen to corporate level awareness.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

gregma wrote:
Edited to add: I'm going to find out myself. I'll send this letter and a letter myself to inquire as to whether this is still the standing policy at Home Depot.
Let sleeping dogs lie.

joeroket

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
And, if you might not like the answer, don't ask the question!
Please call and tell my wife that one, please!!!! :p

I agree, it is the same concept that Lonnie has been preaching about calling and asking LEO chiefs about open carry.

amlevin

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
If he is going to follow you around, he may as well push the cart. :p

LoveMyCountry
Besides, if he is in charge of Security, and can't carry a gun, he might like to have you stick close so he has "armed backup" in case of real trouble.

BluesBear

imported post

eBratt wrote:
... I asked if that was his personal opinion or if it was store policy. He himmed and hawed and vaguely pointed out that it wasn't store policy. Having a foggy recollection that Home Depot followed state law on firearms (like Wal*Mart), I took a stab at it and indicated that such was my understanding. He then confirmed that my belief was correct.

So it seems there is no need to contact Home Despot for an update.

surfj9009

imported post

This is an interesting thread. Sounds like the next time somebody goes in they should call ahead and see if he is working, and then tell him why you called for him and ask him to accompany you through the store while you make your purchases. That would be a good opportunity to welcome him to this community. I mean hey, he is a gun guy. And I am sure he would appreciate the call ahead of time to let him know there will be somebody OC'ing in his store.

just get him to come here, somehow. We need all the support we can get.