• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Arizona

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

Hi all,

I will be visiting Scottsdale and Tucson next February and wanted to check that I have a correct understanding of the laws. Please let me know if any of the following will get me in trouble:

I have a NH concealed carry permit which I believe is recognized in Arizona.

I intend to carry concealed most of the time.

When out hiking I will be open carrying.

When going to a restaurant or bar I will transition from open/concealed carry to locked storage in the glove box / center console (as I have a CCW permit is it ok for the handgun to be unholstered in the glove compartment?)

I intend to visit the Pima Air & Space Museum, I assume as the tour of the boneyard goes onto USAF property I should keep the handgun locked in the glove box / center console of the rental car.

Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

bbvk05

imported post

I do not believe it is recognized here. I rely on this chart: http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html

I know there is no reciprocity, but I do not think it is recognized either.

There are several states that will issue you a permit on the grounds that you have one in NH. You MAY be able to use these to carry in AZ, if AZ accepts them. This is obviously a loophole, but you can use it as long as you are not a resident of AZ. Utah may be a good one.

I would always oc if the cc permit is not recognized.

When going to a restaurant or bar I will transition from open/concealed carry to locked storage in the glove box / center console (as I have a CCW permit is it ok for the handgun to be unholstered in the glove compartment?)

If the place does not serve alcohol for consumption on premises you can take it in. This eliminates most places, but you can carry in Subways, fast food, and other dry reastaurants. You can also carry in places that sell alcohol as long as they do not have a consumption licsense (like a grocery store or wall mart are ok)

If you have someone in the car with you the unholstered handgun in a glovebox or console could be construed by LEO to be concealed by your passenger, and they would get in trouble. The Driver's CCW does not cover everyone in the car, even if you are driving and its your gun. This is solved by bringing a cheap exta hoster and putting the gun in it inside the glovebox, (or you could just use your regular holster). WHEN A GUN IS HOSTERED AND IN THE GLOVE BOX, CONSOLE OR MAP POCKET IT IS NOT CONSIDERED CONCEALED. I know this sounds rediculous, but its the law. Look up ARS 13-3102 read it and print a copy of it to carry with you. you can carry a hostered gun out of sight IN a designated storage compartment in the car. So if I were you I would OC in my car this way even if my CCW were not recognized. BTW, this gun can always be loaded when carried this way.

I intend to visit the Pima Air & Space Museum, I assume as the tour of the boneyard goes onto USAF property I should keep the handgun locked in the glove box / center console of the rental car.

I think the air and space museum is private, but you need to look that up.

bbvk05

imported post

your site is much newer than mine, and is obviously more correct. happy carrying.

Decoligny

imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
your site is much newer than mine, and is obviously more correct. happy carrying.
I make it a rule never to take the word of anybody's webiste unless they are actually the ones making the rules.

This is from the Arizona Department of Public Safety, Concealed Weapon Permit Unit.

Nutshell: Ariizona recognizes everybody's permit to carry concealed, but not everyone recognized Arizona's permit.

RECIPROCITY
Arizona Recognizes all other states valid permits,

however some states require written agreements in order for them to recognize our state.

The State of Arizona has current written reciprocal agreements to carry concealed firearms with the following states:

Alaska
Ohio
Arkansas
Pennsylvania (Pending)
Idaho (Pending)
South Dakota
Mississippi (Pending)
Texas

These states have an active CCW written reciprocal agreement on file with the State of Arizona. This means your Arizona permit allows you to carry concealed under their respective state statute and Arizona will reciprocate by honoring CCW permits issued by these states.

http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/reciprocity/default.asp

Cue-Ball

imported post

Excellent link, Decolingy! I will be visiting Arizona in a week or so and some of the sites I've looked at say that Arizona doesn't recognize a CPL issued from Washington. I guess this is incorrect, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety (your link), so I should be good to go.

Even so, does anyone have any idea how difficult it is to get a non-resident concealment permit in Arizona? If it's just a small fee it might be worth having. My biggest fear would be that they would not recognize the authority of the facilities I've trained at.

Thanks again for the timely info!

PavePusher

imported post

MarkNH wrote:
Hi all,

I will be visiting Scottsdale and Tucson next February and wanted to check that I have a correct understanding of the laws. Please let me know if any of the following will get me in trouble:

Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

http://www.pimaair.org/

The AMARG facility (boneyard) istechnically part of Davis-Monthan AFB, but iscordoned off from the"active" part of the base. You must have proper authorization to enter,I do not know how this affects the tourists and weapons carry. Iwould not recommend carrying weapons not authorised by the base commander. The public websites do not seem to address the issue.

http://www.dm.af.mil/units/amarc.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/309th_Aerospace_Maintenance_and_Regeneration_Group

azcdlfred

imported post

MITCH wrote:
Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us.

Arizona honors NH permits

AzCDL got the law changed in 2006 - AZ recognizes any permit from any state as long as you are not a resident of Arizona.

The law can be found in ARS 13-3112.U.

If you are not a member of AzCDL, I invite you tojoin!

Subscribe to our Alertsto keep up with the legislation that will be introduced in the 2008 session. It will be an interesting year.

Fred